New wannabe driver

As you can tell im a new wannabee driver. im here for all you guys helping hands.

names dan.

Currently im working at guardian glass company in goole. probably met penfold in there. dont really know which driver you are though mate.

currently working as leadman on c shift in there mate.

been reading up on a few things on this forum as of late and signed up a couple of days ago.

The basics of what im wishing to do are currently saving to do the courses needed to become an hgv driver.

Lift is obviously the company of choice for me at the moment if i would be able to get in there after succsesfully completing the courses needed.

Have previously contacted Preistly lgv in regards to this and they phoned me back. but with working the crappy shifts i do at the factory and not having the money to do the courses yet Ive not returned the call tro them
(of which im sorry if your reading this)

anyway any information you guys can give me on doing what i want to do will help me out a lot.

im 23 years old and wish to get into this line of work.

also one more thing is that i am in a dodgey position at the company that i currently work for as i am a “leadman” which is basically a supervisors 2nd hand and i run the shipping office on a daily basis. however after working there for 4 years since the start of the plant im dubious as to weather or not they wold let me leave to join lift. who is their own transport company.

i dont know exactly where i stand on this situation and any help on that would also be good guys.

again i hope to be driving soon. thanks for reading and helping me out here.

Hi Dan

Welcome to TruckNet UK :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I’ll let the others answer your questions :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome mawbster
You may find this post useful to print off (4 pages)
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857

thanks for the link rog. already had a read of that a couple of times.

printed it out just now though for referance and to really just test the new printer.

can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what i have to do to start with so i can tick them off on paper.

mawbster:
can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what i have to do to start with so i can tick them off on paper.

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:

Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:

Step 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from our centre). Please contact you’re GP or we recommend www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Step 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, we recommend you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Step 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Step 4
Book your training course with LGV Training school. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form
direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf
Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.

yes i would be more than happy to spend the time away from home to atttend a reputable school for a week or so.

i live near scunthorpe so the lgv medicals in scunthorpe at £20 seem the order of the day to me.

what is entailed in the forms and can i pick them up from somewhere or do they have to be in a pack or can i get them online?

mawbster:
what is entailed in the forms and can i pick them up from somewhere or do they have to be in a pack or can i get them online?

SEE POST ABOVE for downloads

oops sorry bout that.