New Volvo 8 Wheeler

grabbed from twitter

I’ve never…

Understood the point of the conventional truck. The bonnet becomes a challenge in traffic and manoeuvring. Apparently they ride better and are safer in an accident according to US drivers.
The space wasted could be given to the driver for more accommodation if it was a cab over at that length.

What is that a picture of please?

stu675:

Volvo VT5 / FH16 750 Globetrotter from Wolves Berging, Netherlands

Is that not an 8 wheeler? :confused:

Suedehead:
Is that not an 8 wheeler? :confused:

Yep, edited accordingly whoops :open_mouth:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve never…

Understood the point of the conventional truck. The bonnet becomes a challenge in traffic and manoeuvring. Apparently they ride better and are safer in an accident according to US drivers.
The space wasted could be given to the driver for more accommodation if it was a cab over at that length.

Previously gave better access to engine too.
Tilting cabs and no need (hopefully) to rebuild engine once a month kind of negates that.

A longer wheelbase unit will often ride better, but length laws, manoeuvering in limited space go against that idea here.

RIPPER:

stu675:

Is that something we’re likely to see more of over here?

stu675:

RIPPER:

stu675:

Is that something we’re likely to see more of over here?

Nope generally they exceed the maximum length allowed over here.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Them thar air horns look a bit tacky

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve never…

Previously gave better access to engine too.
Tilting cabs and no need (hopefully) to rebuild engine once a month kind of negates that.

A longer wheelbase unit will often ride better, but length laws, manoeuvering in limited space go against that idea here.

I seem to recall one time when Mack had a display at the Earls court commercial vehicle show, needed to reverse their trailers onto the stand, had to borrow a unit from Daf i believe cos the bonneted Macks couldn’t manage.

Juddian:
I seem to recall one time when Mack had a display at the Earls court commercial vehicle show, needed to reverse their trailers onto the stand, had to borrow a unit from Daf i believe cos the bonneted Macks couldn’t manage.

That rings some bells. Mack did try breaking into the UK tipper market didnt they? early 80s ■■
Lopsided “conventional” cabs. I can`t recall actually seeing any on the roads

Franglais:

Juddian:

That rings some bells. Mack did try breaking into the UK tipper market didnt they? early 80s ■■
Lopsided “conventional” cabs. I can`t recall actually seeing any on the roads

I remember seeing the odd day cab bonneted Mack usually on tipper work, area not sure but have a feeling it was Yorkshire.
I do recall a well loaded tyres bulging Greek regd Mack cabover pulling out of Toddington one day as i passing by at around 60 mph, never did get past the thing as it just pulled without let up and gradually disappeared over the horizon :sunglasses: .
Back in those days the European hauliers ran some serious kit, didn’t Fiats have something like 19 litre engines in the 80s…still wouldn’t mind a crack in that juicy 30 litre ten cylinder Isuzu tractor unit, don’t bother with low range probably pull away in 10th gear @ 40 tons.

Imagine spending £400k on a truck and speccing halogen headlights

nickyboy:
Imagine spending £400k on a truck and speccing halogen headlights

Judging by the cost of replacing failing LED light units on cars (not mine, all too old to have such camp tat), ranging from £350 odd for a rear light unit on something mundane to £4000ish for an all singing all dancing headlight unit on some German marques, i too would order standard lights on a truck and fit a pair of Osram Truckmate uprated headlight bulbs for some extra light, circa £25 a pair on the bay of e.