New venture

hi all Been a lurker on here for a couple of years. Was looking into taking my lessons but ended up doing Cat D as I found a job where the company paid for the training and gave you a job if you passed… Soooo 3 yrs (almost) down the line and I am sick of ferrying smell ungrateful people about and want to do my Class 1 & 2

I have had my driving licence since 1992 so have 7.5 tonne entitlement on it
I have a full PCV with up to date CPC so I just want to check Im doing this right !?
I also have a digicard till 2016, never used as yet …Is that dead? I heard I should have been keeping it alive somehow ?

I’m guessing I have to do all the theory /hazard stuff again.
I need a D2 form, already requested that.
I need a D4 and a medical.
Then I need a training school ? Right ?

So what did I miss out ?

Sorry if this has all been asked before but Im getting a tad confused.

Firstly check your licence. On the counterpart it shows your provisional entitlements. If you have C on that list then you don’t need a medical or to send your licence away. If the bus company completed the original application then it probably wont be there.

So you will need:

Medical
Provisional CAT C licence
Theory tests - hazard perception and multiple choice (I recommend training before attempting the tests but you may be lucky)
Practical assessment - hopefully you wont need a full course. And you can take your test on auto and get full manual licence (assuming you hold manual car licence). This will keep the cost down even more. Have a couple of assessments and stay away from brokers.
Practical training and test. Choose your trainer carefully - - there are enormous differences. This is why I suggest more than one assessment.
Driver cpc: should be ok. Check your DQC. If it doesn’t say C or CE on it you will need 35 hours periodic training.
Digicard: this doesn’t have to be kept “alive”. It will simply expire on the date given and will have to be renewed.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the quick reply Peter :slight_smile:

Right Driving licence doesn’t have C on it, only C1 and C1E but D2 forms are on the way

DQC has C and CE on it so thats good news :slight_smile:
Digicard sorted thank you.

So I have a Theory test book for drivers of large vehicles, guess I best start revising lol

I have the name of a local school but will research others in the area as I prefer word of mouth reviews to website testimonials

Soo time to get the ball rolling, hopefully the forms arrive tomorrow. Thanks again for the info

That’s fine. You wont be able to book your theory test until your licence has been issued - so time to revise.

Remember to get assessments at a minimum of 2 schools. Stay away from brokers at all costs.

Tell me where you are; I may be able to recommend.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

yeah I nearly made the broker mistake 2 years ago, only decided against after I put them off for a few months and they started with the phone calls, I arent some bimbo so they got the sharp end of my tongue… funny they never rng back :smiling_imp:

Im in Coventry but have transport so not too fussed, motorbike will be cheap on fuel so somewhere decent is better than the closest if you know what I mean

Recommend schools

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

but you could do a residential course with another trainer

So as you know stay away from brokers

Your digi card should be fine until 2016

Fab thanks, I’ll have a nosey :wink:

Hi
You have some good driving schools within reasonable distance but I would recommend if you can, visiting for an assessment
drive before making you decision.Best to call first do not rely on emails.I will PM you some more info which I think you will find very helpful.There are a few centres that have the DSA actually in the Training centre itself-This means all instructors are DSA registered and you are guaranteed a high standard of training and well maintained newer lorries .Some centres will quote lower prices but use older Lorries and share training with another trainee, meaning you get less time at the wheel.

Shouldnt matter if you have 2-1 training both should have same amount of time at the wheel

You should visit several & have assessments with a few before you think abut parting with any money

There are only a few accredited DSA training centres in the country Peter Smyth is 1 ( who is on here ) based in Mansfeld so not that far

There are a few centres that have the DSA actually in the Training centre itself-This means all instructors are DSA registered

Just want to clarify that point.

There are varying levels of LGV trainer: 1st unregistered, unqualified. 2nd LGV Reg instructor. 3. Own test centre. 4 DSA Accredited LGV Training Centre. Amongst other things, these have to employ only DSA Reg LGV instructors.

Having a test centre and being DSA Accredited are NOT the same thing and shouldn’t be confused.

If unsure, check out dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Coventry based then I recommend DATA ACADEMY just off A46 by pass Leicester

Easy to get to - M69 M1(J21 to 21A) then first exit off A46 by pass