New transport Secretary

Do you think he will do any think new for the industry?

fingermissing:

Anne-Marie? I think she’s a woman.

stu675:

fingermissing:

So I have just read. Never heard of her.

fingermissing:

stu675:

fingermissing:

She is the MP for Berwick, Northumberland. Might get the A1 dualled north of Morpeth !!!
Tyneside

Should be better than Barbara Castle (1960’s). She didn’t even have a driving licence. :open_mouth:

I don’t know, they will parachute anyone in at short notice.

The quality of appointments isn’t looking good if the Deputy Prime Minister and Health Secretary (same person) are anything to go by. Someone so disastrously overweight being health secretary for one thing (has to be an incoming meme), but also someone with a history of medical issues, including meningitis, potentially being in charge of the country when the PM is away or if something happens to the PM.

A prerequisite for health secretary should be that you should at least look like you could run for a bus, be able to give CPR, be a first-aider, or all of the above. Similarly a transport secretary should be able to pass a driving medical. The PM should be able to achieve a good score on the bleep test or be able to pass an army fitness test. These people are in charge of the country ffs, we want the fittest best people in these jobs, not the mates of Truss. At least Sunak could probably manage 1.5 miles in 10 minutes or something, not these bunch of donuts.

It doesn’t matter what we want… or wanted. All that mattered was the opinions of 160,000 or so mainly white, mainly well off, mainly male members of a party to choose what they think is best for the country (ie them).

Now we have an unelected beaurocrat :open_mouth: running the country surrounding herself with people based on their chumminess as opposed to actual suitability to fill the role to best serve the country…

toonsy:
It doesn’t matter what we want… or wanted. All that mattered was the opinions of 160,000 or so mainly white, mainly well off, mainly male members of a party to choose what they think is best for the country (ie them).

Now we have an unelected beaurocrat :open_mouth: running the country surrounding herself with people based on their chumminess as opposed to actual suitability to fill the role to best serve the country…

Pretty sure she has been elected by her constituents. Everyone will get the chance to vote her in or out in a couple of years time
Oh, and by the way, no Labour parties members were asked their opinion when Blair handed over to Brown back in the day, just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyneside:

fingermissing:

stu675:

fingermissing:

She is the MP for Berwick, Northumberland. Might get the A1 dualled north of Morpeth !!!
Tyneside

Yeah, they can start right after finishing the work on the A1M near TVTE, cos that’s happening real soon… :laughing:

GOG47:

toonsy:

Pretty sure she has been elected by her constituents. Everyone will get the chance to vote her in or out in a couple of years time
Oh, and by the way, no Labour parties members were asked their opinion when Blair handed over to Brown back in the day, just sayin

Which was also wrong. A change of party leadership is fine, do as they want. But if its a change of sitting Prime Minister with the ramifications for the country then it should automatically result in a general election so that the person leading the country has the backing of an election win based on their own manifesto etc.

The Conservative party won last time with Boris Johnson as leader of the party. Remember he delivered the largest majority in decades. HE delivered, that’s what he says. Truss can’t say anything similar. And as you say “in a couple of years” the question will come around again, is that really enough time for any person to enact their policies? Ensuring a Prime Minister is chosen via general election will at least give a five year stint. Not that its worked for the last however many (four?) PMs…

This is not anti Truss, anti Conservative, anti Labour. Its anti the system we use.

toonsy:

GOG47:

toonsy:

Which was also wrong. A change of party leadership is fine, do as they want. But if its a change of sitting Prime Minister with the ramifications for the country then it should automatically result in a general election so that the person leading the country has the backing of an election win based on their own manifesto etc.

The Conservative party won last time with Boris Johnson as leader of the party. Remember he delivered the largest majority in decades. HE delivered, that’s what he says. Truss can’t say anything similar. And as you say “in a couple of years” the question will come around again, is that really enough time for any person to enact their policies? Ensuring a Prime Minister is chosen via general election will at least give a five year stint. Not that its worked for the last however many (four?) PMs…

This is not anti Truss, anti Conservative, anti Labour. Its anti the system we use.

Yes, people may have voted Conservative because of Boris but technically that’s not how our system works, we vote for a party, not a “president”. That’s the way it’s always been and I don’t think it’ll ever change

The A1 improvements at TVTE are ongoing till 2025 at the earliest.

Would have been done twenty years ago if the DoT had been allowed. Along with a new road from there straight over the hill and down the other side to meet the bridge at Scotswood. Would have by passed the Western by pass!!

Tyneside

Noremac:
I don’t know, they will parachute anyone in at short notice.

The quality of appointments isn’t looking good if the Deputy Prime Minister and Health Secretary (same person) are anything to go by. Someone so disastrously overweight being health secretary for one thing (has to be an incoming meme), but also someone with a history of medical issues, including meningitis, potentially being in charge of the country when the PM is away or if something happens to the PM.

A prerequisite for health secretary should be that you should at least look like you could run for a bus, be able to give CPR, be a first-aider, or all of the above. Similarly a transport secretary should be able to pass a driving medical. The PM should be able to achieve a good score on the bleep test or be able to pass an army fitness test. These people are in charge of the country ffs, we want the fittest best people in these jobs, not the mates of Truss. At least Sunak could probably manage 1.5 miles in 10 minutes or something, not these bunch of donuts.

She smokes cigars too :unamused:

Zac_A:

tyneside:
Tyneside

Yeah, they can start right after finishing the work on the A1M near TVTE, cos that’s happening real soon… :laughing:

More expensive overtaking lanes all subject to the same 40 - 50 mph variable speed limits as lane 1.
Tory transport policy in action.

GOG47:

toonsy:

Didn’t the MPs discard their right to an “instant vote of no confidence” to give Trussy a honeymoon to solve everything by Christmas?

THEN in JANUARY when there’s no work because of the recession to pay the extra taxes needed to help the recovery she speaks of - bring one that precipitates a general election for the week before Easter 2023…

Just my prediction there.

As for Blair>Brown - if Brown had called an election a year after taking up office as Truss will likely try to aim at instead - he’d have prevented Cameron from ever becoming PM by giving Cleggy’s Libdems an option to go into government with Labour at the very worst… I know a lot of people who stopped voting for Cleggy after 2010 because he didn’t go into coalition with Brown…
(The fact he lost enough seats from Kennedy’s high water mark to make a third coalition party requirement - is besides the point here.)

If Brown had an election in 2009, he might have kept a small majority like John Major did in 1992, only to trash the economy months later over the ERM debacle that led to millions of Tory voters losing their homes from re-possession, and paving the way for Blair’s complete takeover in 1997…

As it stands, the Tories will likely hold on with a reduced majority IF the election is before it HAS to happen, December 2024.

I doubt if Trussy will take the chance that one of her new cabinet luvvies will possibly lose their seats in such an election, so she’ll hang on until it is too late, which is “anytime during 2024” imo…

As for myself as a Tory voter and “Getting Brexit Done”. Well it ain’t bloody well been finished - has it? Throwing money to prop up the Ukrainian regime before helping out Universally the British Public - will likely end up with Truss being busted out of office by that date, in any case.

“Bills frozen at today’s already lofty prices” - is very much “Too little, too late”. :angry:
“Means tested anything”
or “Re-payable debts” is a big no no for people trying to tighten their belts as well, of course…

fingermissing:

Will they do anything new that makes life worse for us? Probably.

Will they do anything new that improves life for us. Absolutely not.

Are they just another a nose in the trough sack of useless dung?
Absolutely yes.

TheUncaringCowboy:

fingermissing:

Will they do anything new that makes life worse for us? Probably.

Will they do anything new that improves life for us. Absolutely not.

Are they just another a nose in the trough sack of useless dung?
Absolutely yes.

Couldn’t agree more.

stu675:

fingermissing:

How dare you presume someones gender in this day and age, the Hurty Word Police could be on their way to you at this very moment.