New Trampers

Hi Ladies & Gents,

Who is new to the tramping world?

I am looking at doing a tramping job within the year so want to know what you like about it, any pointers for someone doing it for the first time? What’s the truck like that you are living in?

Cheers

I am new to the tramping world and lorry driving in general and honestly I enjoy some aspects but not others. The first thing that struck me was the lack of lorry parking. My first night my driving hours were running out after a hectic day so I went to the nearest services only to find it jam packed. In a panic I managed to make it to another services with about 10 minutes to spare and luckily I founda spot. Honestly I had no idea how hard it was to find a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in the services of an evening! There is a clear lack of lorry parking facilities so my advice is don’t leave it too late to park up for the night or else you will be in trouble.

Other than that, don’t forget your towel, some form of entertainment and plenty of food/water. I learnt the hard way. :laughing:

Ask your employer to sign up to SNAP, he pays the parking, not the driver out of their money but get it back later.
Most truckstops are full by five pm, you can call them to reserve a parking space.
Baby wipes are useful if no shower available.
Foam ear plugs for noisy lay bys.
Keep the fuel tank in view of passing traffic and not hidden out of view by a hedge, to deter fuel thieves.
Cereal or muesli bars in case of missing breakfast.
A five litre water container with a tap, from camping shops, to wash up and shave.
Washing up bowl.
Ratchet straps for load securing.

toby1234abc:
Ask your employer to sign up to SNAP, he pays the parking, not the driver out of their money but get it back later.
Most truckstops are full by five pm, you can call them to reserve a parking space.
Keep the fuel tank in view of passing traffic and not hidden out of view by a hedge, to deter fuel thieves.
A five litre water container with a tap, from camping shops, to wash up and shave.
Washing up bowl.

How do you do that if the fuel tank is on the left?

For left tanks, it would be parking facing oncoming traffic while parked in a layby off the road, or an industrial estate.

htmldude:

toby1234abc:
Washing up bowl.

How do you do that if the fuel tank is on the left?

I used to ram it into a hedge, the thorner the better.

I run the air con all year to keep it running when you need it.
I also keep the night heater on about twice a week in the summer to keep the moving parts running.
When it gets cold again in late Autumn, there are loads of threads of " My night heater won’t work . "
What did they expect with not using the damm thing all year.
Basic medicine kit for diarrhoea or head aches is an idea.