New Toll Road round Brum

taz:
Also, do you think that having to pay to go back to wales on the severn crossing is a conspiracy by the french, who own the bridge, to keep the welsh who cant afford to go home in england? lol! no disrespect to taffys - its a joke! :smiley:

No, the reason why the toll booths are on the welshbound side only is that a toll barrier would never stop an English visitor trying to escape from Walesā€¦ :laughing::wink:

a few points,the ozzy bloke who was haveing a laff about the prices has been sacked,after apering on brum news saying how he could charge what he liked,wayyyyyy,the price begins at Ā£10 for the first few thousand that use the toll,then it goes up to Ā£11,you can get round the edge of the toll 449,A5 ect,and yes birmingham is my back garden,but the problem i see is exiting south bound just before j4,its allready backing up there and no traffics coming off the brr so when it opens will we have a j8 situation,as we all know the only reason that j11-j8 snarls up is because rep muppets dont like queā€™s so the come as close to the junction and try to cut 3 lanes to get on the M5,cus as soon as you pass 8 its clear,oh and anoter thing the same week the toll opens there starting road works M6 north bound J4-J6 like it was last couple of years,speed limits contraflow,coz the recon the waterproffing is knackered,yet its funny how the can build a completly new motoway from scratch quicker tha they can patch 4 miles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

New Page 1

Well we're approaching the time when the new M6 relief road will make all the difference for us northerners travelling south or you southerners returning home.

The question is will it work?

Ā£5 to use it, is that too much or will you be glad to part with your cash?

Big Trucker x

![](http://championmovingandstorage.com/_borders/delivery_man_with_boxes_lg_wht.gif ) Tried to tidy it up but can't get the image to work - Krankee.

Well, being a ā€˜Suvernerā€™, I dont know the ins and outs of the roads opp norf, but 5 quid to use a bit of road??..Umm, isnt that what we all pay our Road tax forā– ā– ?.. You imagine all the cars, trucks a bikes that pay road taxā€¦thats a hell of a lot of money, so Mr Blair, where is it goingā– ā– ?

Makes me sickā€¦ They said that when the QE2 bridge over the Thames at Dartford, had paid for its self, they would be reconsidering the Tollā€¦They, didā€¦They put it up!!!..

Grrrrā€¦ nuff said

Cheers
Andym

Ā£5 to use it, is that too much or will you be glad to part
with your cash?

I think you need to check your glasses :smiley: :smiley:

The Fee for HGVā€™s is @Ā£10 and yes it is too much :angry:

I have actually already been up and down most of itā€¦ and many of you may not know there is a new MSA on itā€¦

I wonder how much parking will be on there overnight??
Ā£10 tollā€¦ Ā£15 parkingā€¦ Ā£25 to park up in the new MSAā€¦ ā€¦

I wonder If certain other Truckstops will put up their prices to match :cry:

TruckNet UK:

Ā£5 to use it, is that too much or will you be glad to part
with your cash?

I think you need to check your glasses :smiley: :smiley:

The Fee for HGVā€™s is @Ā£10 and yes it is too much :angry:

I have actually already been up and down most of itā€¦ and many of you may not know there is a new MSA on itā€¦

I wonder how much parking will be on there overnight??
Ā£10 tollā€¦ Ā£15 parkingā€¦ Ā£25 to park up in the new MSAā€¦ ā€¦

I wonder If certain other Truckstops will put up their prices to match :cry:

:imp: :imp: :angry: :angry: :open_mouth:

how many would support a campaign to boycott it? start a sticker campaign!! its diabolical!! (rant over!) :imp:

:open_mouth: Is it really only Ā£10.00 for a truck to use it? Last price I saw was higher. Canā€™t wait to avoid it. Already paid thru road tax, will pay some more via the tax on the diesel Iā€™d burn to travel along it, and no-one would be prepared to pay me more to encourage me to use it. Hope the whole scheme falls flat on itā€™s face. problem is that it would then start accumulating interest charges, like Humber Bridge, and then we would be told it had to recover build costs plus interest charges. No doubt the would use same accountants as were used on Scottish Parliament. :angry: :angry:

I reckon both roads will be chocka block soon enough anyway, take the M60 for example; Stockport used to be a nightmare to get to at rush hour, so they build the M60 link, resultā€¦ no itā€™s still a nightmare. :imp:

Birmingham relief wonā€™t happen in our lifetime! :unamused:

Iā€™ll not be using it, despite getting my money back from the boss at the end of the week. No way am I gonna shell out extra money to drive down a road.
If the parking at the MSA on it is free, I may consider it.
If in doubt, itā€™s another layby for this woman.

I certainly wonā€™t be using it :frowning: as the boss has already said he wont be paying for any tolls. I travel along the A38/A446/M42 every night and the M6toll could certainly be used from the A38/A5 junction to Brum airport.

Worst value junction has to be the one on the A38 near Minworth, where you pass through a toll plaza to join the M6toll about a mile or so before it ends!

As far as I know there are no intermediate toll rates - so its pay the full rate whether you go all the way or just one junction.

I notice all the signage on the joining roads has been changed to funnel all the traffic up the toll road, eg Lichfield is signed via the toll route and not the A446, which now shows A446 Wishaw - very useful.

The other thing I have noticed is how some roads have been changed so that the toll road is the main road and you have to ā€œleaveā€ the main road to remain on the ā€œfreeā€ roads, which have all been slowed with extra islands, traffic lights etc.

The whole thing stinks, but I hope some traffic uses it so we can get a clear run through Brum ā€¦ Wishful thinking perhaps.

Calv

So,letā€™s do some sums.

It costs Ā£10 to travel on it each time. If I drive from Andover to,say,Stoke and back thats Ā£20 per day. If I do this journey five days a week,thatā€™s Ā£100 a week!!!
Or Ā£400 a month!!!
Forget it,Iā€™ll use the old stretch,thankyou very much.

Dan.

Stop being gullible.

The Company that own the road are responsible for maintaining the road surface.

Larger vehicles cause the greatest amount of road damage.

The less the surface is damaged, the greater will be their profits.

HGVā€™s are being deliberately priced out in order to maximise profits. Never mind that the elevated secitons of the M6 are arguably some of the most expensive sections of Motorway in this Country (Maintenance wise). But hey, that gets paid for by the tax payer.

Hence a policy of, Attract the car driver; Deter the Truck Operator.

Simple economics. :smiley:

this new road is owned by an austrailian who has made it clear he is only in it for the money. and after a settling in period of five years i think he will be able to charge what he wants.
now ,just imagine how much extra he could make if he was to arrange a couple of strategically placed breakdowns on the old road :question:

dave:
this new road is owned by an austrailian who has made it clear he is only in it for the money. and after a settling in period of five years i think he will be able to charge what he wants.
now ,just imagine how much extra he could make if he was to arrange a couple of strategically placed breakdowns on the old road :question:

i like a good conspriacy theory: what about if it happened on both??

Also, do you think that having to pay to go back to wales on the severn crossing is a conspiracy by the french, who own the bridge, to keep the welsh who cant afford to go home in england? lol! no disrespect to taffys - its a joke! :smiley:

Iā€™m paid hourly so will be sitting on the old stretch with the kettle on as usual.
The stuff will get there when I do!!

Now, call me a cynic, but I get the idea that as soon as the new road opens, the authorities will announce that the concrete viaducts which form much of the old M6 are in need of repairs, and the M6 will be closed, giving us no choice but to use the toll road.

Vince

All according if who im working for pays it, if they do, I will. But, a thought I have is this, let the cars use it dirt cheap, and ban em off the M6! sorted?

Mal.

the new msa is norton canes services, it is owned by and operated by roadchef. i am unsure as yet what the fee for parking is but i would imagine that as the road will be little used by trucks that the overnight charge for parking will be in line with other roadchef low truck use sites and cost around Ā£6 or whatever it is at the services farther down the m5.
of course once the lorry road user charge comes in around 2006 then the fee for using the road could be more appealing, Ā£5 to use the current m6 road through lruc or Ā£11 to use the faster route, the difference will then be only Ā£6 and with the price of fuel and the extra cost of stop start in comparison to driving at a constant 56mph it could make the road more financially viable, i see a big increase in the use of cb radio.

I am in the fortunate position to have seen the actual plans of what is to happen to the ā€œoldā€ M6 as my brother is a very high-up bod on the planning of the whole project. However, itā€™s all under the Data Protection Act 19ā€¦ blah blah so really canā€™t give much away but as Iā€™m a trucker myself you may be interested to know a few things.

For a start, unless you know Brum like your own back garden youā€™re going to need to get yourself a good street map of the city. Coming south, much of the existing signage to places in the close proximity of the current M6 and north Brum will disappear and re-appear BEFORE the toll road directing you to the aforementioned places via that, deliberately of course, to coin in extra revenue. So if you do continue down the old road, the signage will only be VERY basic, if any at all.

Many major roads will intersect with the toll road and even if you only want to use the toll road to the next junction half a mile up the road it will still cost you the full amount. There will be no reductions or concessions.

For us truckers, they are already one, even two, steps ahead. The first thing which will change is the majority of the exit sliproads (all except the A38 it would appear) on the current M6 between the toll intersections will be labelled 7.5 tonne limit and strictly enforced. So if you are heading along the current M6 in your artic and want to be off it to access Brum you wonā€™t be able to.

This system will then be replaced ā€œat a later dateā€ with the whole of the current M6 between the toll intersections becoming a complete 7.5 tonne limit ā€œdue to the weak bridge supportsā€ and HGV access will be prohibited, thus forcing all HGVā€™s along the toll road.

Ho-hum! Glad we rarely do Brum!

Brgds

Speedy

sorry speedy but i think some of your points are imagined, or at least exagerated - the new road is a relief road and as such simply doesnā€™t have the connections to enable them to effectively close the m6 to LGVs, no-one even as dim as the highways agency undeniably are is going to put some of your things into practice.

and while weā€™re here the tolls are no less for part journeys for a simple and excellent reason - to stop commuters jumping on at one exit and off at the next - the downfall of urban motorways everywhere - witness the m8 around glasgow

oh, and this australian dave - what is he meant to be in it for if not money?! :unamused: