New to the forum and trucking!

hi guys new to the forum and loocking for a bit of direction…im taking my cat c in 2 weeks but not having much luck on finding cat c jobs…to be honest i have no clue what im looking for…would it be the same as class 1 for example apply anywhere because ur going to be driving around anyway…or more closer to home? and also any good agencies in the southampton poole area?? sorry for all the questions but i have no idea on what im doing or where to look lol

Hi and welcome jimmypk to the mad house.

jimmypk:
im taking my cat c in 2 weeks

Firstly I will wish you the best of luck for your test. Which schoool you training with? Enjoy the training and im sure you will go into the test well prepared for it.

jimmypk:
any good agencies in the southampton poole area

Im based in the midlands so outta me area im afraid so i will leave that to people better suited to answer it.

tonka236:
Which schoool you training with?

im doing it with a poole based company called tlc- the licensing company fairly reasonable…they say im going to be training in a renault premium??

what about class c work in general what should i be looking for?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome jimmypk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.
Will you be doing the INITIAL Dcpc :question:

jimmypk:
im taking my cat c in 2 weeks but not having much luck on finding cat c jobs.

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

ROG:
Will you be doing the INITIAL Dcpc

ive done my case study already and hopefully if i pass wiil do my cpc pratical…in all honesty im 20 years old am i actually going to get work?

jimmypk:
im 20 years old am i actually going to get work?

you will… the question wil be when and how much of it … that’s like asking how long is a piece of string !!

There are more drivers than jobs and many of those drivers have experience so it won’t be an easy ride - getting CE wil increase your options as many newbies on here have found out :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ahh ok well im out of employment at the moment so anything at the moment anythings better than nothing…but upon reading the post looking for work i saw most were roped into driving vans and 7.5t…is that inevitable and what i have to do to get on the ladder? im so new to all of this im probably asking basic questions…but need to find the best way to get on it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: going back to my previous question with regards to class 2 work do i apply for posts like you would being a class 1 driver i,e out of my home area? thanks to everyone helping out i really need it lol :wink:

jimmypk:
in all honesty im 20 years old am i actually going to get work?

Simple answer (well in my eyes anyway) is down to you and your mindset. There have been people that graced this here fine forum who have a class1/2 licence and will only drive that vehicle…period.
But there are others who have gone down the whole van route, built a good repport with a company. One of the regular drives is ill or walked out and there is a rigid with a load that needs taking somewhere and boom your in there with your licence.

i dont mind i just like driving full stop but i dont want to pay 1100 for a class 2 and not get the opportunity to work with one for years on end. im assuming i shold just apply and see what happens…the other downside is EXPERIENCE my uncle was an international trucker hence y im here trying to eventually do what he did and he said my best bet was agencies just to get that experience but hes been out of the game for 15 years or so hence y im here. ive been looking all over the interweb and i have found nothing local and nothing that doesnt require experience. do i just carry on or is there a “hub” for good agencies/jobs?

thanks again guys uve been great to put up with my noobinism :slight_smile:

jimmypk:
thanks again guys uve been great to put up with my noobinism

that’s what were are here for :smiley:

well be nice to here from guys or gals near the southampton poole area but ill keep you up dated on my prgress and wether or not i pass first time!! got it in 2 weeks time fingers crossed

Hi jimmypk welcome to the forum

I can only echo what ^^^^^^^^^ they said and good luck with the cat c :smiley:

whilst on the xbox box last night i had a thought…after reading a thread on here i wondered do u have to have tacho training??

thanks

jimmypk:
whilst on the xbox box last night i had a thought…after reading a thread on here i wondered do u have to have tacho training??

thanks

You need to know how to use both analogue and digi tachos as well as know the drivers hours rules BUT there is no compulsory training required - daft aint it ■■?

For a newbie I would suggest that a PERIODIC Dcpc course on tachos should be done asap after getting the licence (or passing INITIAL Dcpc module 4) as it will not only be very useful but count as 7 hours of the 35 required

Periodic courses will not count if an initial mod 4 has not been passed unless the driver is already on aquired/grandfather rights for periodic

jimmypk:
whilst on the xbox box last night i had a thought

Clearly not playing COD as having any thoughts outside of the game is highly illegal

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tonka236:
Clearly not playing COD as having any thoughts outside of the game is highly illegal

indeed i would never not give cod game play my full attention it was actually in the game lorry when i stumbled upon this thought.

rog so all i need really is tacho cards and or a digi card…do u apply for cards or get them from the operator?

jimmypk:
… rog so all i need really is tacho cards and or a digi card…do u apply for cards or get them from the operator?

Hi jimmypk, The nurse has already confiscated ROG’s keyboard for this evening. (She’s very efficient :grimacing: )

Sufficient tacho cards (aka analogue discs) are supplied by the operator of the vehicle and must be of a kind that’s compatible with the tacho-head, so you’ve no fears on that score.

Obtaining a digital tachograph card (it looks like a chip-and-pin card) is your responsibility.

You can access more info by :arrow_right: CLICKING THIS LINK

I hope that helps. :smiley:

dieseldave:

that link is great i was wondering how you go about getting one…are tachos that hard to understand really? surely they cant be that difficult or am i just being naieve?
:slight_smile:

jimmypk:

dieseldave:

that link is great i was wondering how you go about getting one…are tachos that hard to understand really? surely they cant be that difficult or am i just being naieve?
:slight_smile:

DIGI TACHO GUIDES

VOSA GUIDE - page 28 onwards

hope it helps

you will soon pick it up once your driving looks complicated trying to read it but all info is good but it all just clicks when you start using them :smiley: