New to Teesside

Hi all,
I have just packed in as an owner driver and moved to Teesside and wondered if anyone could advise me about Class 1 work. Signed on with a couple of agencies but not a sausage yet although promised me the earth!

What I want is a bit of night trunking, easy work to rest my bones after this last year struggling with diesel prices and stupid rates. defo no steel and I just cant work for stupid rates although from what I have read on here Teesside isnt the best paid area…how do they get away with it?

Anyone help…I will be eternally grateful

Welcome to truckNet. Not too many on here from Teeside :wink: :smiley: but someone may be able to help you.

daneinter:
Hi all,
I have just packed in as an owner driver and moved to Teesside and wondered if anyone could advise me about Class 1 work. Signed on with a couple of agencies but not a sausage yet although promised me the earth!

What I want is a bit of night trunking, easy work to rest my bones after this last year struggling with diesel prices and stupid rates. defo no steel and I just cant work for stupid rates although from what I have read on here Teesside isnt the best paid area…how do they get away with it?

Anyone help…I will be eternally grateful

lucy is ya girl

Try all the parcel firms with hubs in your area, jobs a doddle.

If you find a parcel firm with a hub in Teesside do let me know!

There’s not much round here that pays over £ 7.50 p/h and what is available through the agencies will probably be carting steel. But still, hey ho three chains and away.

\fred you have a PM

morrisons or aldi might be able to help. if youve got your adr theres stillers. cant think of anymore off the top of my head.

best of luck and welcome

jon

Thanks for your replies…it seems the job scene , Agency & Permanant is quiet up here and certainly the wages are low, quite depressing really as the last thing I want to do is run my own again, for a while at least. Any owner drivers need a driver??

Depending on how far you are willing to travel, Geopost seemed to have problems recruiting drivers around that area for Interlink and Parceline night trunks to Smethwick.

When I was there, there’d been an agency driver in the Newcastle depot for 18 months fulltime because they couldn’t find anyone. It wasn’t as if the money was bad either. 2 years ago I was clearing £500 a week after stoppages and I was doing about 10hrs a week less than the Interlink drivers.

Just checked their website and it shows no vacancies at all but I know that’s rubbish because I’ve seen Dr. Death, one of the area standby drivers, running out of Hull and my mate was offered nights for Hull for a couple of weeks with Driverhire.

Try Stillers Stocton plenty motors so might have the odd night trunk Aldi at Darlington a possability Further north there`s plenty parcel firms out of team valley Peterlee Walkers crisps Consett Eldiss have loads of night trunks & Simpsons at Birtley have quite a few running at night Houghton le Spring = TNT Just a few for you to go at it depends on how far you are prepared to travel BEST OF LUCK

greek:
Further north there`s plenty parcel firms out of team valley Peterlee Walkers crisps Consett Eldiss have loads of night trunks & Simpsons at Birtley have quite a few running at night Houghton le Spring = TNT Just a few for you to go at it depends on how far you are prepared to travel BEST OF LUCK

An agency driver from Teesside who would travel to Houghton le Spring, Birtley or Team Valley?
Let me know if such a person exists please.

Do I detect a little cynicism here Fred.
Its a strange thing, As an owner driver I am used to getting the job done and if that involves a little discomfort or running about then so what, but now I have gone over to the other side am I supposed to change my attitude. I despise drivers who play the prima donna. I remember a driver at the transport window at one firm \I was loading at who told the TM he wouldnt take out a brand new Renault because the cruise control didnt work and pressing the acellerator would play his sciatica up!!

I would travel without a doubt if the rate was good and the bloke I was doing it for appreciated me for the professional I am

The only time I refuse to take wagons out, apart from them being obviously dangerous/illegal, is if the stereo doesn’t work. It’s the only thing I can’t do without. I’ve seen better shunters than some of the wagons I’ve driven in my time but as long a the wireless works, I’m happy.

Hi Daneinter,

Some of the companies recommended on here are worth a try Stiller does have night trunkers but the money is terrible and I hear that they are not recruiting at the moment, although that should be checked if you are interested. The whole driving scene up here at the moment is on a downturn, I know of a couple of firms who have gone under or who are struggling through lack of contracts (even steel work is hard to come by) I know you said you didn’t want steel, but FVS were advertising this week and Allinsons at Darlington have a sign up for drivers but neither of those two companies do night trunk. Try the agencies that deal with Argos at Darlington or Magnet at Darlington, both these companies have advertised recently for trunk work. PL workforce in Darlington springs to mind, they supply Argos, Magnet and Electrolux in Spennymoor with drivers. Hope this helps

Regards
Westie

Conor:
The only time I refuse to take wagons out, apart from them being obviously dangerous/illegal, is if the stereo doesn’t work. It’s the only thing I can’t do without. I’ve seen better shunters than some of the wagons I’ve driven in my time but as long a the wireless works, I’m happy.

“Wireless!!” You show your age old son. Mind you I forgot my log book the other day!!

Fred:

greek:
Further north there`s plenty parcel firms out of team valley Peterlee Walkers crisps Consett Eldiss have loads of night trunks & Simpsons at Birtley have quite a few running at night Houghton le Spring = TNT Just a few for you to go at it depends on how far you are prepared to travel BEST OF LUCK

An agency driver from Teesside who would travel to Houghton le Spring, Birtley or Team Valley?
Let me know if such a person exists please.

they exist fred got one working with us from Peterlee about the same distance& if you havn`t got work whats another few miles

Ahhh…a decent paying, permanent night trunk on Teesside…I dream of finding a decent paying permanent night trunk on Teesside… :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can’t really add to what’s already been said. We’ve been so slack that one of our night men has been pressganged into shunting on days some weeks. Even if you wanted distance work we’ve got a waiting list as long as your arm.

Good luck, and if you hear of anything let us know.

I would just like to thank everyone who contributed to my original post, it has been most helpful and so far has resulted in a couple of night trunks a week ( well its a start, and I need a rest!! ) plus one of the ideas has led me to what may be a very well paid interesting job that was just coming up but not advertised. Understand I cant say much more at the mo but will update later
Top site…many thanks to all.

Try christian Salversen at darlington.
I know they do a fair bit of night work
money isn`t bad either. :smiley: