NEW TO JOB

First of all, this is my first post so HELLO to all.
I am in the middle of doing my class 1(test next week) and I hopefully have a job on a bulk tipper, the thing is that this is totally new to me coz up till now ive been a woodcutter.
it is worrying for me coz on top of learning to drive an artic, i am having to learn a whole new job, everything from the ins and outs of what to do to what i have to take with me(going to do nights out)!!!
so anyway!, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated
thanx

Hello GRIZ :slight_smile:

Good luck with the test next week

Welcome and … … …

Best of luck with the test !!

G

Hi GRIZ welcome to TruckNet UK and
good luck with the test ect :smiley:

cheers folks!!

Hi GRIZ, welcome to Trucknet. Good luck with the training and job. :laughing:

Some basics to watch for might be:

Uncovered load - Blowing away or picking up water
Loose, Shifting load - Watch for bends, roundabouts, adverse cambers, etc
Watch for overhead obstructions when tipping - Power lines, etc
If you carry powders or grains - careful if you have to climb in to distribute load - you can get voids and if you fall in you can be overwhelmed
Don’t move the vehicle with the body in the up position - most are limited to stop you, but not all
Don’t go under an unpropped body

If I think of any more I’ll let you know.

Hi Griz, The best thing you could do when you start your newjob is spend a few day with an experienced driver. you’ll learn loads of answers to questions you never thought to ask. :smiley:

However post any questions on this board, however dumb you think it is :smiley: That’s what the boards for and we have all probally asked the same questions :laughing:
It’s a usefull place to get information and to check what your boss or other drivers tell you is the truth. Loads of myth and rumour in this industry, especially about the law and Tacho Regs.

Welcome to TN Griz

Glad to see another fellow countryman has come on board Trucknet.Hope the new job goes well when you pass class1.Good luck.Don’t do tippers so can’t offer any advise,but be careful. :wink:

Not much I can add to what CM has said here but a couple of things I had drilled into me when I started on tippers (many moons ago) …

ALWAYS make sure you are LEVEL before tipping (more so with an artic than a rigid)

On site work, NEVER EVER believe the guy on site when he insists the ground IS firm & he’s had trucks on & off it all day – If you’re not happy, refuse.

Watch for loads that stick in the body, 3 or 4 tons sticking at the front when the body is vertical makes a lovely pendulum !

One trick I learned with sticky loads was to get level & then (before tipping) run forward 20 feet to see if the truck sways about much, if it doesn’t, when you tip you know you CAN roll forward without hitting a deep pothole one side.

If you know you’ve got a level 10 or 20 foot runway, you can do all sorts of tricks to release the sticky stuff, if you’re frightened to move with the body up, you’re gonna do some shovel work (don’t know anything about devices to stop you moving when the body is raised, but I have been out of tippers for a long time).

Best way I found for clearing the body of sticky bits was to run forward quickly & hit the brakes, the tailboard slamming will usually shock it enough to clear it. Reversing & braking can work too. (Another good reason to get a bit of level ground first).

I know of at least 4 VERY VERY experienced drivers (better men than I am) that have rolled bulkers when tipping, partly bad luck & part maybe a lack of concentration – I think ALL of us that have driven them have had some VERY VERY close cals, I was lucky :laughing:

Muppets on site will hassle you, but I would rather spend 5 minutes geting level than ringing the boss to tell him he’s got a bent chassis ! Just because the digger driver can get his JCB in & out, he often thinks you can too & if you get stuck he will still go home at 5pm ! (A 3CX will not pull a loaded artic out of the mud, a D8 CAT will but might tear the front off the truck too !)

Of course, if you never do off road work, I have just wasted my time :blush:

Hope it helps a bit more :wink: Take your time.

thanx again folks
I hate bloody tests, not long now and im s@@tting myself!!! :open_mouth:

failed!!
only got 4 minors but scrubbed a bloody curb, never mind, try again on monday

Sorry to hear that GRIZ :frowning:

sorry to hear mate better luck on the retest.

Worse luck mate. At least there is not a massive wait for the retest !!!

Its not a failure, its a deferred success, stick with it, good luck for next time.

A Guide to Tipper Stability can be purchased

HERE

Best of luck for Monday.

Other requirements to be a professional bulk tipper driver are to have absolutely no common sense whatsoever and spit on the ground every 5 seconds to make people think you’re hard. Also you must disconnect the speed limiter and indicators and drive around everywhere as fast as the truck will go, regardless of the (weather) conditions.

:unamused:

Good luck with the re-test :slight_smile: .

Sorry m8,good luck for the re-test :wink:

thanx a lot folks, its good to get some encouragement from folk who know what going through the test is like

GRIZ:
thanx a lot folks, its good to get some encouragement from folk who know what going through the test is like

That’s the key GRIZ the people here do understand the problems and the nerves so just shout out if you are having a difficult time. :wink: