New to it all.

Ok, here goes.
I am currently working as a breakdown mechanic for one of the big 3 ( the yellow Vans ) earning around 35k a year down from about 42k now the company is owned by bean counters. there are no real progression paths open to us and if I’m honest the company has gone to the dogs, I want out.

I want to get my hgv license and gain experience in the haulage or tipper side of things then maybe I can secure a couple of contracts myself, own or lease my own truck or two and maybe, just maybe I can look forward retirement.

Any advice in any of that would be awesome.

One step at a time!
Going from no experience and no licence, to retirement takes more than a couple of sentences in a post.[emoji5]
Having a long term goal is fine, but concentrate on one thing at a time.
If you’re sure driving is for you?
Then get your licence sorted first. Either a local school or stay at a further afield one.
Look for any posts recommending ones near you, but avoid flashy adverts from brokers who charge lots of commission for very little work.
After finding your own nich and learning the driver’s side of the job thoroughly, then consider the owner driver aspects. An awful lot is going on under the surface there that you’ll only discover when you get closer to it. One thing at a time.
And good luck.

How many hours do you work for that money?

Hay mate,

I am/was in the position as yourself. I used to love my old job, then the bean counters took over and they zapped the life out of me. So I have embarked on a new career, and so far I love it. Ok so i am with agency’s doing all kinds of work, but thats the good thing I can decide what type of work like the most. I am not going to lie, it wasn’t easy getting here, but I did get here. I am still learning, you can see my endless posts of the forums. 9/10 i have been left to do my own thing, eg take this to X and pick up from Y.
But think about what you want to do first, if you like the sound of your own voice your going to love it…

If you’re after a decent wage then it will probably take a while to match what you’re currently earning, and even then you will have to work plenty of hours for it.
It might be worth looking into becoming an hgv mechanic. That way you can put your existing skills to use, and you might even be able to get a company to pay for your license after a while

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Most haulage companies are run by bean counters as most are for profit. Very few are own in house contracts these days.

And as said to earn 35k a year your going to be doing probably a minimum of at least 50 hours a week with a half decent company, worse companies then more hours to earn the same amount of money. This is largely area dependant to some degree.

As also said to go from no licence to buying and running your own or a few trucks is a big ambition.

Sorry just wanted to say that is a hell of a drop in salary they forced through.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mac12:
How many hours do you work for that money?

I work a 6/3 shift. Usually 11 hours a day.
365 days a year.
I used to say they would take your life but pay you well for it… now they just take your life.

Thanks for the input guys.

I am aware that going from nothing to owning is a dream to say the least but it’s a goal.
I’m not saying I want to take over the world but maybe there is somewhere to start a small business and build something.
I’m not scared of long hours, I just want the long hours to have a purpose
I just wanted an honest idea of wages, hours and work life balance.