New TM

Grumpy Dad:
The easiest solution is not to use POA, if you double man don’t use slot 2.

I use POA simply because I get paid while on duty ( driving, other work or POA ) and not while on rest, I can spend 5 - 6 hours on a bay some days, and I won’t do a split break I do my 15’s when they suit me not them.

If you double man and share the driving, you have no option other than to use slot 2. The only exception AFAIK is that there is an allowance of up to one hour between Driver 1 and Driver 2 putting their cards in, to allow for Driver 2 to be collected en route or similar.

I would suggest that anyone getting caught by DVSA doing anything different to that could risk a hefty fine, as it would be construed as failng to use the tachograph properly.

As to the OP, your TM is wrong to deny your colleague payment. The simple fact that his card is in the tacho head is proof that he was at work not on stand-by; as others have said, digital tachos revert the second man to POA regardless when the vehicle is in motion.

thehairyarsedtrucker:
If my old brain is not too confused, I believe that POA has to be paid that is the reason it was brought in in the first place.

This was my understanding also. Almost like ‘paid break’, where you’re available for work, but there’s no work to do right then

Nail on head sidevalve.

Sidevalve:

Grumpy Dad:

I use POA simply because I get paid while on duty ( driving, other work or POA ) and not while on rest, I can spend 5 - 6 hours on a bay some days, and I won’t do a split break I do my 15’s when they suit me not them.

If you double man and share the driving, you have no option other than to use slot 2. The only exception AFAIK is that there is an allowance of up to one hour between Driver 1 and Driver 2 putting their cards in, to allow for Driver 2 to be collected en route or similar.

I would suggest that anyone getting caught by DVSA doing anything different to that could risk a hefty fine, as it would be construed as failng to use the tachograph properly.

As to the OP, your TM is wrong to deny your colleague payment. The simple fact that his card is in the tacho head is proof that he was at work not on stand-by; as others have said, digital tachos revert the second man to POA regardless when the vehicle is in motion.

If you are working to Double man hours, you must have a card in at all times and you must have a second driver in the truck within 1 hour of starting a shift.
If you are going to drive a vehicle under the scope of EU hours regs during that day, then you must record all hours on a Tachograph for that day, so you should have a card in while in the vehicle.

However in this case the driver went to help with deliveries, so did he actually drive the truck at any point.
If you drive a van or work in the yard on one day and then drive a truck the next day, the regs say you must record those hours and all hours worked since the previous weekly rest, but the DVSA seems happy for you to have a record of start and finish time on a worksheet or diary or you can do manual entry to cover the previous day. The only thing if stopped they may ask why you aren’t recording your hours if they bother to check you are also a driver.

If your boss is not willing to pay you for working either find another job or refuse to do extra OT.
Loyalty has to be earned you may enjoy working at the place but if the new TM is gonna be a issue find another place; plenty out there.

Wait a minute… your firm only pays you for working time, not your duty time!!!

muckles:

Sidevalve:

Grumpy Dad:

If you are working to Double man hours, you must have a card in at all times and you must have a second driver in the truck within 1 hour of starting a shift.
If you are going to drive a vehicle under the scope of EU hours regs during that day, then you must record all hours on a Tachograph for that day, so you should have a card in while in the vehicle.

However in this case the driver went to help with deliveries, so did he actually drive the truck at any point.
If you drive a van or work in the yard on one day and then drive a truck the next day, the regs say you must record those hours and all hours worked since the previous weekly rest, but the DVSA seems happy for you to have a record of start and finish time on a worksheet or diary or you can do manual entry to cover the previous day. The only thing if stopped they may ask why you aren’t recording your hours if they bother to check you are also a driver.

I agree with this. If you are going out just to help with unloading, and have no intention of driving, then you are not double manning and therefore don’t need to put your card in. I’d record it as a manual entry for other work next time I am driving.

A drivers mate is not a driver and does not carry a driver card but he is a mobile worker, he is paid for the time he is on duty minus breaks.