New tacho units

We have a new 16 reg motor that has a new design of tacho head unit, anybody know of any differences…apart from the look

Not used one myself, but looking at it its just a facelift design, I would imagine it will operate the same as the old units.

TheNewBoy:
We have a new 16 reg motor that has a new design of tacho head unit, anybody know of any differences…apart from the look

This is my 2008 VDO unit below I think it’s just been face lifted

Looks like they’ve done away with the separate eject button ?
Assuming you’d need to hold the relevant button to eject card.
I’m hoping so anyway, double manning would usually result in eject when the driver put driver 2 on other work, only to eject the card by pressing wrong button, and there’s no going back once eject is pressed, even in error.
*edit, yes they have.

Cue the DVSA/vosa driveby downloads conspiracies…

User manual for the above unit here in pdf form.

TheNewBoy:

Is that a new VDO one, or one of the less common makes? (It’s not a Stoneridge)

I would guess that the operation would be generally the same, but the manual entry may be different to what you’re used to.
It also may count down the driving time from 4h30, rather than up from zero, which is what the newest Stoneridge units do.

Glen A9:
Is that a new VDO one, or one of the less common makes? (It’s not a Stoneridge)

It’s the new Siemens tachograph model 2.2, I don’t think there are any serious changes in operation but I’ve only had a quick look.

Here’s the instruction manual

It appears you can do manual entries with a smart phone app.

Android app rubbish reviews though :frowning:

iPhone app

Is the picture not showing in my previous post ?

Dav1d:

It is yes, I never noticed you’d posted a link to the instruction manual though.

it is a shame you have to have an adapter to connect phone .

otherwise would be kool

Why worry your pretty little heads? Once we leave the European whatsit in June won’t we be able to get rid of tacho’s as they are a European impediment to getting on with the job and go back to your flexible friend - no not your credit card -the proper and original one - the logbook!

Beau Nydel:
Why worry your pretty little heads? Once we leave the European whatsit in June won’t we be able to get rid of tacho’s as they are a European impediment to getting on with the job and go back to your flexible friend - no not your credit card -the proper and original one - the logbook!

No. Next daft statement?

To eject just hold down the driver picture for about 3-5 seconds.

Works the exact same way as previous Siemens tachos, but I think you can also get a driving time countdown like you get on the Stoneridge ones as well.

Dav1d:

It wasn’t displaying in Tapatalk, so I didn’t notice it earlier. But yeah, the OP’s is the same one with out the branding.

BTW, VDO are no longer part of Siemens, so they are not branded as Siemens VDO any more.