New Strap System For Trailers?

Had a curtainsider trailer last night that instead of hooks and ratchets it just had a cable that ran the length of the body and the curtain had runner hook things (Sorry to be technical!) and you ran the cable round them then pulled two levers at the back that tensioned the curtain via some sort of air system. Is this a new design or an old design ive just never heard of?
It saved a little bit of time but not that much if im honest. Ive never seen it before and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to work it (most of which was spent wrestling and swearing at the first runner as the cable was too tight. It got easier when I realised how to slacken it! :laughing: )

they’ve been around for years, a lot of brewery companies use them.
wait until you get a curtainsider with a raising roof, loads more fun…

Some of our old dd’s have them but the hooks hook onto a runner not a cable but the new dd’s have the normal everyday straps so maybe it didn’t catch on.

Ah ok. Id just never seen it before and wondered if it was a new “change for the sake of change” type design.
I can see why it wouldnt catch on though.

One of our 30 pallet trailers has that. I hate it. The hooks on the cable catch on the wheel arches whenever I pull the curtains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A marvellous invention except…
when the donuts on the curtains that hook over the cable break, they replace them with badly fitted STD curtain hooks that don’t tension when you pull the wires tight.
Or there isn’t enough slack in the cable to enable you to hook all the donuts on.
I’d best not mention the cussing that goes on IF the cable jumps the ratchet while tensioning and jams under the spindle

peirre:
when the donuts on the curtains that hook over the cable break, they replace them with badly fitted STD curtain hooks that don’t tension when you pull the wires tight.
Or there isn’t enough slack in the cable to enable you to hook all the donuts on.
I’d best not mention the cussing that goes on IF the cable jumps the ratchet while tensioning and jams under the spindle

That sounds like the older type (at least at Magor Brewery it was), the newer type has a much slacker cable and standard curtain hooks but is tensioned via an air piston and lever (operated by your usual air valve type button)

dani1972:
One of our 30 pallet trailers has that. I hate it. The hooks on the cable catch on the wheel arches whenever I pull the curtains.

Never heard of adapt and overcome then? You learn to flick the curtain as you’re pulling it open, either that or you keep moaning about them catching, whichever you prefer. :laughing:

And the reason (i believe) they are popular on breweries is because of full kegs, you don’t want to be stood underneath them unbuckling a standard trailer if a stack goes, far better to be stood at the rear end out of the way.

Reef:

peirre:

That sounds like the older type (at least at Magor Brewery it was), the newer type has a much slacker cable and standard curtain hooks but is tensioned via an air piston and lever (operated by your usual air valve type button)

dani1972:

Never heard of adapt and overcome then? You learn to flick the curtain as you’re pulling it open, either that or you keep moaning about them catching, whichever you prefer. :laughing:

And the reason (i believe) they are popular on breweries is because of full kegs, you don’t want to be stood underneath them unbuckling a standard trailer if a stack goes, far better to be stood at the rear end out of the way.

We only have one of them, so fortunately don’t get it very often, and don’t get it a chance to work it out, or if I do I forget it in the months before I have to worry again, However I will try and remember that advice for next time thank you.