new starter

hi all

im going to be starting my training very soon filled out the forms and will be doing a medical in next few weeks what i wanted to no was what books cd/dvds did you guy use to help you pass the theory etc i will probably need to study up on this as its been 7 years since i passed my car license lol.

thanks for you help in advance

p.s i will be booking my training with c&g gloucester or phil brown i havent decided yet gonna speak to both of them.
ive seen there on the good list anyone used either of them #

Hi and welcome.

Firstly, you say you’ve filled out the forms. Take care - you cant send anything until you’ve had your medical. Didn’t know if you knew that.

For theory, your best bet has to be to visit the trainers you mention, choose which one you’re using and ask them what they recommend. You may get something for free or reasonable. They will also arrange your theory tests for you once you’ve got your provisional licence. Then go back to at least one of them for an assessment drive. (I would suggest at least 2 assessments). It’s not all to do with price. Make sure you’re happy with the trainer’s attitude, condition of vehicle and with the whole deal.

Best of luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

johnboy231:
i will be booking my training with c&g gloucester or phil brown i havent decided yet gonna speak to both of them.
ive seen there on the good list anyone used either of them #

Hi johnboy231 and welcome to the forum.

I can recommend Phil Brown in Droitwich, as that is who I recently went with to get my cat C licence upgraded to C+E. They get on with the job in a professional and courteous manner, so you won’t have any problems there. They have their own good testing area and therefore no need to travel up into Garretts Green, Birmingham to take a test. I found them to be very nice and friendly there. I will probably go back to them in order to get my DCPC up to scratch as well, when it is required.

Whoever you do go with, may I wish you all the very best of luck with it. :sunglasses:

Regards.

Liam.

HI, i used the official dsa lgv and psv theory guide, i found it very good and passed theory first attempt and i used a hazzard perception guide website supplied from my trainer RSM in basildon which again passed first attempt, i had never done any of these theory and hazard test before as passed car back in the late 80’s, that reminds me i start my training for my C+E Monday so have have to dig pass certificate out, i knew i had forgotten something lol.

i’m in the same boat here, just starting my path to driving lgv vehicles

i’m going down the route of medical
once the medical & provisial licance is in my hands then…
theory test & hazard perception, get those passed & out of the way

then look around/check out the local training compaies, sit in some trucks & have a chit chat about what i’m getting for my ££££

i have bought dsa books/cd’s for the theory part & a kind chap on here sent me the lgv theory hazard cd’s to revise which i’ll pass on when i’m finished with them

my medical is monday then i’m booking for my theory/hazard test ASAP you need your provisial licesnce to prduce when you go to do you theory hazard tests! hoping to get thsi doone withing the month!!!

When I done mine my trainer booked my medical ( gave me the forms as well ) then booked the theory & HPT also lent me the CD for both

Then arranged an assessment then booked the training

It took a while to sort out only because DVLA wouldnt send my licence back very quick due to a previous medical condition

My reply is very late… But I have just used Phil Brown and I would not recommend them to anyone.

They showed very little interest in my ability whilst on the assessment drive, Phil Brown himself was on the phone the entire time during my assessment and during my first lesson. The other two lessons were by his partner, who is a much better instructor than Phil himself, however I made major mistakes on every lesson and did not feel ready for the test, yet they insisted I was.

I took the test and failed, on the same issues I was showing signs of struggling with during the lessons. I was also told on the reversing exercise by Phil and his partner, that I was ok to touch the line in the reversing exercise, just not to cross it, I got a minor for touching it, something very irritating to me as reversing is no problem for me, I was just using what I thought was the area I was allowed to use.

I was offered no discount to retake the test, no free lessons to work on my poor areas, and a snotty email in response to my complaints. I will not be retaking ANY lessons with Phil Brown in any vehicle. especially as they now have the nerve to charge me £200.00 for one hours use of there vehicle for the test retake.

In all Disgusting customer service, disgusting service in general and overpriced, I feel as though all the research I did to find a good driving school was in vain and instead of being ripped off by a broker, I have been directly ripped off by the school!