Get given instructions for the day
Find truck
Do checks
Set off

End of day
Return truck
Hand keys back with docs.
Would I need to fuel up ?

It’s impossible to say. Each employer has their own way of doing stuff - but what you’ve described is logical.

I suggest to turn up, find office and discover their way of doing things. And all the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Peter

In my experience (11 years) you tend to find the bigger the company the better/stricter run it is,maybe because the big companies know how much of example the powers that be would love to make of them if they didn’t.
If your heading to one of the well known places…DHL/Wincanton/stobards ect expect to bombarded with H&S sheets to read and sign before you go anywhere,and also do not forget your driving licence,CPC card and digi tacho…sounds daft but you’d not believe how many agency lads turn up at our place without their licence expecting to be given the keys on their say so!
Oh and safety footwear is a must,that’s another item that without will see you going no where.
As for fuelling,if it’s a big place they will more than likely have there own on site pumps that you’ll use when you arrive back in the yard,if they don’t they may or may not issue you with a fuel card depending on whether you’ll need it for how far your going which if your there for a day run your unlikely to use a full tank up unless you run for the full 24hrs :smiley:

Brill thx it’s agency work. So expecting paperwork hse and probably the pig of the fleet lol

geoffwales:
Brill thx it’s agency work. So expecting paperwork hse and probably the pig of the fleet lol

You might be surprised ! Many of the trucks I got were newish and very well looked after, some dogs but not many.

If agency work I would def recommend you get phone numbers for emergency contact to transport office your working to for that shift and have them explain how breakdowns are sorted! Not that you expect to have any but get number and how it works beforehand.

Ask about fuel, generally I’ve found truck were full when I got them, might have been luck !

Ask if they want you to refuel, and how would you do that, before returning usually gets answer you want without sounding too new [emoji6]

Above ALL else, if you don’t feel they’ve explained or your not sure of something then ASK before you leave. Ignore any whining or tutting they do, don’t feel pressured into leaving if there is something your unsure off and you might not want to ask about, ask it!

Better safe than sorry . Other than that it’s another day in the mobile office [emoji2]

I drive for DHL/Lidl out of Northfleet. DHL have an on site transport office so this is my routine.
Turn up, download digi Tacho before shift.
Get handed keys (all the units are 64 plate Scania’s so no pigs) and sign in
Get handed strap and Anderson lead (for tail lift if needed, Lidl transport desk love changing your route!)
Find truck, spend atleast 15mins doing walk round checks etc turn on fridge unit and set to +2 throughout. Complete paperwork…
Drive round to Goods out and report to Lidl Transport desk. Tell them your destination, they hand out the brief. Load up.
Set off. I do Northfleet to Newhaven
Unload and load up salvage
Drive back, refueling where poss for next driver/shift (I stop at clackets on M25)
Unload any salvage/returns report back to Lidl transport for debrief, download data loggers from trailer so they can check you’ve been running at correct temps.
Take unit back, it gets checked over, complete DHL paperwork, clean out cab, download digi Tacho again, hand keys back.
Home time :slight_smile:

Ask stupid questions. If it’s an auto truck I’ve not driven before I always check I know how to get reverse! They’re all bloody different!

All the trucks I’ve driven have had a fuel card left in them. Make sure you know the pin and also if say its a shell one fill up at shell. Again sounds obvious but one depot told me that as the previous driver filled up at BP and had no way of paying the £200.

Take your time and if anything is not clear ask. I’ve found most regular drivers have been happy to spend 5 minutes showing me round the truck etc.