New starter / new to tramping

Hello all,

My 3rd post on here. I have finally landed myself a job starting monday fingers crossed as i’m still waiting for CPC card to arrive after passing 14th october. The job im starting will be a week out with another driver, then induction and out on my own after that tramping.

As a newbie and never tramped before im looking for any recommendations on essentials you take when tramping. I’ve been a camping fanatic since i was 10 so happy to cook on a gas stove etc.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Do a search on here.As it has been covered.Take everything you’ll think you would need.Buy a cool box if the truck does’nt have a fridge.Be cheaper in the long run.As it’ll add up quickly if you buy all your meals from services and the likes.Oh and take a proper quilt instead of a sleeping bag.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On the matter of the cpc card; you can drive perfectly legally on your red pass certificate. Simply carry it with you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

flip flops for the shower is a definite must have

WET WIPES WET WIPES WET WIPES WET WIPES WET WIPES :smiley:

Ear plugs are a must.

An emergency ■■■■ bucket and bog roll, never know when you’re going to get a bout of diarrhoea while on the road.

TruckerWannabe123:
An emergency [zb] bucket and bog roll, never know when you’re going to get a bout of diarrhoea while on the road.

^^^^^^^^
bin liners.
but if you gotta go■■?

youtube.com/watch?v=_can_5Ki7aQ

:slight_smile: This particular question has been asked many,many,many times before.
That is why it has a topic to itself on the ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ forum.

Here is a link for the 95% of new members who cannot be arsed to use the search function (top right hand corner):

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37297

To be honest, it worries me quite a bit that the new generation of Lorry Steerers cannot make decisions and work some things out for themselves, and instead are content to just pick other peoples brains as a default, using internet forums like this one. - You are going to have one hell of a culture shock when you are out on the road by yourself…
I know we have always said here on TN “any questions-just ask us”, but come on - give your heads a wobble FFS - some recent examples :

‘I’ve just passed the test, how do I find a job?’
‘What happens if I need the toilet when I’m out on the road?’
‘Do I need to pay for fuel myself and claim it back from my employer at the end of the week?’ :laughing:

Deesider:
:slight_smile: This particular question has been asked many,many,many times before.

Here is a link for the 95% of new members who cannot be arsed to use the search function (top right hand corner):

To be honest, it worries me quite a bit that the new generation of Lorry Steerers cannot make decisions and work some things out for themselves, and instead are content to just pick other peoples brains as a default, using internet forums like this one. - You are going to have one hell of a culture shock when you are out on the road by yourself…
I know we have always said here on TN “any questions-just ask us”, but come on - give your heads a wobble FFS - some recent examples :

‘Do I need to pay for fuel myself and claim it back from my employer at the end of the week?’ :laughing:

I have added the same reply on your rude thread also…

Deesider:
:slight_smile:
I’ve just replied to a post in the Newbies forum,
here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=162865

• scroll down a bit…

I’d be interested to know the opinions of the more .ahem. ‘experienced and mature’ drivers here on this forum regarding the ever increasing reliance on the internet by those coming in to our industry…

On a personal note, I read some of the guff asked on TN and I despair, I really do - particularly in the last 5 years or so…
:cry:

The post was written by me… and personally i just choose to ignore the childish attitude that i’m asking on recommendations? I’m not asking how to pass my driving test. As a new pass you are right, we will get a shock out on the road and we look up to veteran and experienced truckers for assistance? Unfortunately as I’m not on the road yet i don’t have the privilege of asking other drivers. However it will be the same question i ask the lads who i’ll be working along side, the driver trainer etc because the last mistake i want to do is go in it 2 foot deep and make a huge mistake because i didn’t have that torch light i needed to do vehicle checks in the dark or something greatly essential that i would have never thought of…

I thought that’s what this forum was for, yes i can read through all the previous posts and have done for that matter but what if there is a newbie to this forum like myself who can recommend something they couldn’t on an older post? It would be missed, surely it doesn’t hurt to ask a question that’s been asked before for some newer and updated information.

No disrespect but i can see why so many people want to leave the industry because the negativity seems to be outweighing the positive. As a newbie to the industry i would have expected a better example to be set… and us young’uns are the bad people in society huhhhh?!!

Happy trucking people :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Deesider:

This is a newbie forum where perhaps experienced folk can help these newbies out instead of slagging them off !!

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, added them to my list i’ve already made (if they weren’t on). As a newbie i appreciate that you guys have experience of tramping which i don’t and the essentials list can always change which is why i’ve gone on to ask the question on here after reading through all of the posts/questions already!

As for the Diarrhoea… well you make anything do haha :wink:

Clean clothes
Bedding
Wetwipes
Shower bag
■■■ bag/bog roll
Pee bottle
Toolkit/hammer/crowbar/scaffybar
Spare bulbs/fuses
Wd40
Oil/coolant
Pens/paper
Tacho rolls
Zip ties
Phone/tablet/tv with spare charge cables
Ciggy socket converters/inverter
Oven/microwave/coolbox
Kettle/stove
Drum of water
Food/milk/tea/coffee/bread/marg/juice etc etc etc
Make your meals at home to heat up though the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigladtrucker:
As a newbie and never tramped before im looking for any recommendations on essentials you take when tramping. I’ve been a camping fanatic since i was 10 so happy to cook on a gas stove etc.

Basically, tramping is just a more luxurious form of camping, just with no need to set up a tent at the end of the day, plus you have a night heater which runs off of the truck’s diesel, so if you take basic camping gear you should be fine. You will find this will evolve as you start spending nights out and you will think of more things to take with you but if you start off by planning as if you were on a four-day camping trip you’ll be fine.

This is a newbies forum where quite often the same questions get asked time and again but that is why this forum is here.
Many of the questions may seem daft to us more experienced folks but to those asking they do not, so as the more experienced folks we accommodate that on this forum.
If those newbies ask the same questions on the PDF then I would expect the sort of reply I read earlier in this thread so with respect I suggest if anyone wants to give such a reply to a question they do so on another part of this site and not in this forum as it is inappropriate to do so in this newbies forum.
I am keeping a close eye on this thread
ROG the MOD

A bat. Just for those times you fancy a game of baseball.

Dangerous-Dan:
A bat. Just for those times you fancy a game of baseball.

What with some unwanted intruders head !! :smiley:

I know of drivers who have barbells/dumbells/weights etc in the cab who are into health and fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigladtrucker:
… I thought that’s what this forum was for, yes i can read through all the previous posts and have done for that matter but what if there is a newbie to this forum like myself who can recommend something they couldn’t on an older post? It would be missed, surely it doesn’t hurt to ask a question that’s been asked before for some newer and updated information.

This, and thrice this ^^^

However, a balance does need to be struck.

Starting with ROG’s excellent post above, and being aware that there’s (nearly) no such thing as a daft question, it’s fair to say that some of the posted questions that we see are clearly from those who lack even the most basic research skills.

Sticking with ‘balance,’ a read of some recent topics and the FAQ is a good place to gain a flavour for what’s what because some things never change, such as (paraphrasing Deesider’s point) a lorry has a wheel at each corner and you should have the doors closed when driving.

On the other hand, discussing the questions or format of the Theory Test is an example of where first hand and up to date knowledge IS needed and can be obtained.

Not that we mind though, because the Newbies’ Forum is the one place on TN where Newbies can make themselves look a bit silly if they like.

:bulb: It’s all about balance. :smiley:

My tips are to buy your tooth brush/paste , razor or shaver , soap , shower gel , towel , flannel and all what you need and keep all that in the truck or your car .
There is no point in taking the essentials from home , only to cart back and forth the car or truck every weekend . A high tog factor duvet for the winter and a low tog factor duvet for the summer is the best option , you can not rely on the night heater to work when you need it .

When the truck goes in the garage , always remove or strap down heavy items that will fall in the windscreen when they tilt the cab over , the mechanics have a policy of not paying out for a new windscreen .

When you are out and about , make a note of decent places to park overnight , the best option is for your boss to be on the SNAP account , which means that you only give the number plate details when you arrive to park up and do not have to spend your own money .
SNAP have numerous truck washes all over the UK .

If you have to pay for parking , hand in the receipts as expenses and you get paid back .Some sat navs have an inbuilt tv which is handy for these dark nights in the winter .
When empty , if you have to park in a lay by , open the near side trailer door , not the offside, as the door can flap around with passing traffic if the door becomes loose in the night .
Be aware if you have to park in a motorway service area or MSA , they can fill up by 17.00 , the same for popular truck stops .
If you park on SNAP , some places do not give you a discount for a meal .

When using the night heater, crack open the roof hatch by a few cm`s or the cab window , if not , you get a headache .