New starter figures

Can someone who’s good with numbers and costings run me through these figures please. I’m just trying to confirm likelihood of actual weekly costs and of course ultimately wages/drawings. I’m a little cloudy when it comes to company tax etc and not wanting to overlook anything.
We can do it both ways where I own 6yr old tractor and two flats, or hire new unit and trailers.
Using 44t tractor unit and flat trailer, on heavy work
110 miles outgoing journey fully loaded £350
40 miles empty to rtn load
110 miles rtn £310

Thanks in advance

Mattwoodtransport:
Can someone who’s good with numbers and costings run me through these figures please. I’m just trying to confirm likelihood of actual weekly costs and of course ultimately wages/drawings. I’m a little cloudy when it comes to company tax etc and not wanting to overlook anything.
We can do it both ways where I own 6yr old tractor and two flats, or hire new unit and trailers.
Using 44t tractor unit and flat trailer, on heavy work
110 miles outgoing journey fully loaded £350
40 miles empty to rtn load
110 miles rtn £310

Thanks in advance

I`d be very surprised if you got anyone to hire you new units & trailers as a new start ATM, as there is a degree of nervousness pervading the industry right now, and credit is the first to go in these circumstances [IMO] :frowning:

Numbers wise, you ain`t going to get rich on those even if you can get both loads off in a day [IMO]

On the Tax front, you only pay it if you make any money, VAT on the other hand is payable even if you dont get paid, so be very wary of who you are working for, I always have a look at the customers car park to see what you could be funding as a new “supplier/sucker” :open_mouth:

Not all that glitters is gold, look out for Rolex`s & Range Rovers, as you may be paying for those without knowing it early on :wink:

Appreciate the words of wisdom Stanley. I do have the funds and lean towards purchasing unit, hence me stipulating the age bracket I’m looking at.
The loads example given was the realistic ones I’d be targeting -and was both loads clear by end of day- based on funding the fuel /costs for 8+weeks, if you could expand on what figures you’d be targeting?
I was working on circa 3000 weekly turnover over 5days, incurring 700-800 fuel costs based on those loads.
I’m close to derby/Nottingham,any advice appreciated

Mattwoodtransport:
Appreciate the words of wisdom Stanley. I do have the funds and lean towards purchasing unit, hence me stipulating the age bracket I’m looking at.
The loads example given was the realistic ones I’d be targeting -and was both loads clear by end of day- based on funding the fuel /costs for 8+weeks, if you could expand on what figures you’d be targeting?
I was working on circa 3000 weekly turnover over 5days, incurring 700-800 fuel costs based on those loads.
I’m close to derby/Nottingham,any advice appreciated

I`ve sent you a DM, have a look & let me know

S.M.

Tbh 3k a week is more like a traction rate, cant see as there would be enough in it to supply a trailer and all that goes with it

chaversdad:
Tbh 3k a week is more like a traction rate, cant see as there would be enough in it to supply a trailer and all that goes with it

Appreciate your reply chavers, I think you gave me help last time I looked at this, then I got a few purple patch’s earning good money for doing very little, hence me not buying unit last time. By traction only, do you mean one man and his unit, no trailers? I didn’t think supplying trailers was expensive to be honest?

Mattwoodtransport:

chaversdad:

Appreciate your reply chavers, I think you gave me help last time I looked at this, then I got a few purple patch’s earning good money for doing very little, hence me not buying unit last time. By traction only, do you mean one man and his unit, no trailers? I didn’t think supplying trailers was expensive to be honest?

Its the bits that go with it, 6 potential punctures, airbags going bang, wings, and sideguards getting damaged then maintainenece on top of that, i do a fair bit of traction only when my normal job goes quiet and its much easier not worrying about the trailer

^^^

Surely its only the airbags going bang etc that is going to be down to the owner. Punctures may delay you but the charge will be to the owner of the tractor unit as will damages. Some hirers and shippers may accept tyre related breakdowns but unless it is in the contract that it is down to them, the charge will be passed on.

cav551:
^^^

Surely its only the airbags going bang etc that is going to be down to the owner. Punctures may delay you but the charge will be to the owner of the tractor unit as will damages. Some hirers and shippers may accept tyre related breakdowns but unless it is in the contract that it is down to them, the charge will be passed on.

I only buy trailers not rent, so i have everything to pay for