New start today, quick question

Hi all, might sound a bit of a silly question but i had a start today driving an 18 tonner for a removal company, went to leave the yard and a bloke jumped in and sat on the bed behind me and one in the passenger seat, along the way we had to stop and pick another fella up :confused: so now theres 2 behind me on the bed no seatbelts fitted, and one next to me, is this allowed or can i get done ?

Sounds illegal to me but on the upside many hands make lighter work :smiley:

As far as know as long as the passengers are over 14 they are reposible for wearing a seatbelt not you, but seeing as there not sat in a seat with a belt think it might be down to you should you get stopped??

You must wear a seatbeltā€¦

IF FITTED

Thereā€™s a video on YouTube of a bloke taking a driving test with the examiner sat behind him on the bunk.

Tarrman:
Thereā€™s a video on YouTube of a bloke taking a driving test with the examiner sat behind him on the bunk.

If youā€™re on about the Official DSA one, thatā€™s the vehicle I did my class 2 in, thereā€™s actually a seat there which he is sat in.

As far as Iā€™m aware itā€™s illegal to have them sat there not in a seat, forget the seatbelt, much the same as if you had a motor home or caravan with people in the back.

This being said when I used to work for a previous company and was tired Iā€™d get up into the bed in the pod and let the other bloke drive. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s very, very common in removals and Iā€™ve done it a million times myself.

In my experience, you will never get removal guys to wear seatbeltsā€¦

They havenā€™t the sense they were born with in a lot of casesā€¦ :laughing:

Lofty83:

Tarrman:

If youā€™re on about the Official DSA one, thatā€™s the vehicle I did my class 2 in, thereā€™s actually a seat there which he is sat in.

As far as Iā€™m aware itā€™s illegal to have them sat there not in a seat, forget the seatbelt, much the same as if you had a motor home or caravan with people in the back.

This being said when I used to work for a previous company and was tired Iā€™d get up into the bed in the pod and let the other bloke drive. :slight_smile:

Ah right I thought he was on the bunk :blush:

Update, i have spoke to the guvnor about it and he assures me that in the removal game its accepted but only if travelling relativley short distances which i was.

rusty919:
Update, i have spoke to the guvnor about it and he assures me that in the removal game its accepted but only if travelling relativley short distances which i was.

I bet he did :wink:

yeah i must say iā€™m still a bit dubious about it, is there anyway i can find out for definate ?

not quite the same, but what about if truck is being double-manned and second man is asleep in bunk. He wont have a belt on then

Lofty83:

That would be my understanding although the responsibilty, as with the seat belt law, would I imagine fall on the passenger not the driver.

kevchalluk:
not quite the same, but what about if truck is being double-manned and second man is asleep in bunk. He wont have a belt on then

Although i completely understand your point having a person lying down with the ā€œroll guardā€ up is different to someone sitting bolt upright not only behind but in the middle of the two seats. Sometime a couple of feet higher than the driver!!