New site 2024

just for info i know the dm system was playing up not sure if it has been fixed yet

Seems to be working. I dont know what the target performance is but Ive swopped DMs with a few different members now.

Stupid apostrophes!

dunno i just happened to dm dave about an adr thing and he told me the dm’s weren’t working correctly and responded with an old style message.

talking about the teething issues i was thinking of starting a thread where all issues could be posted like silly censored words or the apostrophe thing ust wasnt sure where to put it

Maybe ask Dave to start a thread about it, and hope he can wade through the moans n groans to see the more important complaints?
But from what he has posted he has more important things than my quibbles about apostrophes! I have started avoiding abbreviations now. It aint too hard yknow.

What’s this about apostrophes, I haven’t noticed any problems :confused:

It seems to be only a small number of us, and it isnt something Ive noticed on other sites, but the font changes between apostrophes in posts I make.
As above anlike thisun.

That’s strange, does it happen in the preview pane or only after you’ve posted ?

I can see it in the preview panel, so I often try to modify my posts to avoid it.
I cannot always be bothered though. Preformatted text

Got it… in the grey panel, above typing box, go to settings then preformatted text. That uses apostrophes.
Just as italics uses asterisks
And bold uses double asterisks
Triple asterisks
But when Im using apostrophes in a sentence I dont know how to avoid the change?

A peculiar quirk. Maybe I should type more proper like?

And a hint not include multiple starred footnotes!

And found my error…For apostrophes I use the small key left of the #1.
I guess you use the key 2 places to the right of the ‘L’ ? (Standard QWERTY keyboard.)

Ah…that seems to be it.

So, what key have I been misusing I wonder?

I’ll ask my 5 year old great nephew next time he’s round - he sorts all my IT problems :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The key you’re talking about is the back quote key and is I beleive facing the opposite way to the apostrophe.

As you say for apostrophes I use the apostrophe under the @ symbol, 2 places right of the L Key.

You live and learn :slight_smile:

Well, that’s a few years of self taught typing to relearn then!

It’s only one key you’ll soon get used to it :wink:

1 Like

Love it. I was taught to touch-type 60 years ago and now it’s becoming useful again. You’ll be double de-clutching that keyboard of yours franglais 'ere long :grinning:

DM. Direct Messages.
Unlike the old site it seems we can send pictures by DMs now. At least, i have tried sending one, so will wait to see if it has arrived.

And, yes seems to work OK

I quite like the way the orange pencil in the top RH corner of a post shows that they’ve edited it. If you click on the pencil it shows the time and date of the edit. :wink:

[Outrageous fancier of Middle-East spec ERF NGCs with spready TIR-tilts!]

You only have to hover your curser over an orange edit icon to see a tooltip showing the date and time of the last edit :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Frangers, this platform is definitely a ■■■■■■■■■■ mess.
Your advice and help is appreciated.

Really! C u mbersome is swear filtered! What idiot thought this platform was the best choice?

Cu mberland, Cu mmins, cu mbersome, cu mquat, cu mmerbund, cu mulative, cu mulus, Cu mbria, cu min etc are all flippin swearwords on this site. :unamused:

Take the following paragraph.

The Cu mmins-powered ERF was hauling a full load of cu min flavoured Cu mberland sausages up one of Cu mbria’s most savage inclines. The cu mulative effect of several nights on the ■■■■ had left its driver less able to concentrate and his cu mbersome gear change at a vital moment lost him the momentum he require to crest the summit.

Written normally, that paragraph would appear on here like this:

The ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ERF was hauling a full load of ■■■■■ flavoured ■■■■■■■■■■ sausages up one of ■■■■■■■■■ most savage inclines. The ■■■■■■■■■■ effect of several nights on the ■■■■ had left its driver less able to concentrate and his ■■■■■■■■■■ gear change at a vital moment lost him the momentum he require to crest the summit.

ie totally unintelligible!

ERF-NGC