New Scanias for Cemex contract

truckingtopics.co.uk/pinkcemex.html

But would you drive a pink truck?

Yeah, if the money was right.

No, purely because I’ve got blonde hair and there is no way I’ll be able to pull it off.

GasGas

What’s happening with Cemex’s existing trucks and drivers who have been ding that job?

Cheers Bassman

FarnboroughBoy11:
No, purely because I’ve got blonde hair and there is no way I’ll be able to pull it off.

Why would you want to pull your hair off?

the maoster:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Why would you want to pull your hair off?

:laughing: I’m sure I won’t need too soon, getting a bit thin as it is!!

Ditto, 40 in a few :frowning:

31t payload, the trailer must be flimsy? I wouldn’t fancy tipping clay in the rain with an artic, it doesn’t move fast at the best of times.

No, never.

Interesting contact, when I was an OD the payments were over 5 years then went to 6 as rates stayed down but costs went up :neutral_face:

I wouldn’t like a 3 year contact on a 100k truck unless i could rid it or pay it off, ‘Buying work’ was a term regularly used.

WHY would a multinational firm contract out if it could make money on the contact?

Bassman:
GasGas

What’s happening with Cemex’s existing trucks and drivers who have been ding that job?

Cheers Bassman

Trucks have been moved on and drivers have been taken on by Robinsons :smiley: not just pink trucks but pink polo shirts too lol

So its pink? And the problem is?

Cemex (formerly Rugby Cement) have a bit of history with the haulage industry. Not so much on that materials inwards side, but the products out.

For many years, Rugby used o/d contract hauliers to deliver cement. It was all good for a while, then it got very ‘corporate’ (for instance every time the marketing department at Rugby decided on a new livery the o/ds had to pay to have their trailers repainted).

Rugby got taken over by RMC, RMC got rid of the contract hauliers and appointed a ‘logistics’ company (which no longer does this type of work for some reason) who apparently never really understood the logistics of cement; ie it has to be at the batching plant in time to be made into concrete which then has to be delivered to building sites in time to be laid before everyone goes home.In other words: it’s a (very early) morning business.

After that RMC and Rugby with it got sold to Cemex of Mexico, and Cemex has decided to stick to what it knows about (making cement) and buy all transport (including materials in) in as a service.

I hope that Robinson can make a success of it. As a relatively small family firm they won’t have the burden of marketing/personnel/city shareholders/olduncletomcobley and all which large companies have to support. The big company that used to do the product delivery work for Rugby was once described by a Rugby insider as ‘a marketing company with a transport department’!

I might add that that company is still going, but what it does and the way that it does it have changed. It doesn’t deliver cement any more!

Wouldn’t bother me at all - sounds like a nice job - running back n forth from the quarry to the plant - i’d do it if it was local to me

GasGas:
Cemex (formerly Rugby Cement) have a bit of history with the haulage industry. Not so much on that materials inwards side, but the products out.

For many years, Rugby used o/d contract hauliers to deliver cement. It was all good for a while, then it got very ‘corporate’ (for instance every time the marketing department at Rugby decided on a new livery the o/ds had to pay to have their trailers repainted).

Rugby got taken over by RMC, RMC got rid of the contract hauliers and appointed a ‘logistics’ company (which no longer does this type of work for some reason) who apparently never really understood the logistics of cement; ie it has to be at the batching plant in time to be made into concrete which then has to be delivered to building sites in time to be laid before everyone goes home.In other words: it’s a (very early) morning business.

After that RMC and Rugby with it got sold to Cemex of Mexico, and Cemex has decided to stick to what it knows about (making cement) and buy all transport (including materials in) in as a service.

I hope that Robinson can make a success of it. As a relatively small family firm they won’t have the burden of marketing/personnel/city shareholders/olduncletomcobley and all which large companies have to support. The big company that used to do the product delivery work for Rugby was once described by a Rugby insider as ‘a marketing company with a transport department’!

I might add that that company is still going, but what it does and the way that it does it have changed. It doesn’t deliver cement any more!

Didn’t TNT have the rugby cement contract at one time ,seem to remember them buying a substantial amount of 51 plate Renault premiums tractor units for that specific job…

roadcruiser:

GasGas:

Didn’t tnt have the rugby cement contract at one time ,seem to remember them having some 51 plate renault premiums for the job…

I couldn’t possibly comment.

At least the trucks were all orange!

I interviewed the bloke in charge of the logistics company for TRUCK mag soon after they got shot of the franchise O/Ds.

He got the bullet the day the mag hit the shelves :blush:

GasGas
That’s the packed products gone out of house to contract and now raw material inbound has (or part of it) gone to contract it would make you think the writing is on the wall for the bulk cement delivery side.

If I still worked for Cemex I would be worried.

Cheers Bassman

Possibly, but I think they are still a bit raw after what happened when they contracted it out last time around.

The contractor was on one of those ‘open book’ cost-plus contracts, which meant that every time they messed up the customer (RMC) actually paid them extra for making the mistake!

Silver_Surfer:
Yeah, if the money was right.

Somehow I get the distinct feeling the money ain’t gonna set the world on fire :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry: