New road safety camera vans

Just a heads up Lancashire council has a new fleet of camera vans. Noticed s couple today. Not like I speed .
but as picture shows. They blend in parked at road side. You’d. Never know it was one until it’s to late.

Maybe other councils are using them? Or soon will be.
Picture not best but trust me parked up it looks like a normal blue van untill your up close

Also detect people on phone and no seat belt.

Good stuff, hope they catch plenty :smiling_imp:

The vans livery…

Is little more than corporate showmanship.

Good (or bad) depending on your viewpoint, scamera van operators will park in places they know will get results. The van could have flashing blue lights, a firework display and be playing The March of the Valkyries at volume number 11 and you’d still get a NIP.

By the time you’ve stood on 'em, your name is on ze list.

Cue the “if you don’t speed, you’ve nothing to fear” comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOG47:

OK.
If you don’t speed, you won’t get a speeding fine nor points.
Go on then…You’ve got your cue… Argue against that.

Franglais:

GOG47:

OK.

Not true.

I was “caught” at 85mph on a dual carriageway in 2007. Except I knew I wasn’t going at that speed because the car I was driving was old and would’ve shaken itself to bits long before then. It rattled like a milk float above 60.

I went to court with two expert solicitors and a chap who taught the police how to use camera equipment. The expert showed how the camera had not been used within guidelines, it hadn’t been calibrated for months and proved using his knowledge of physics (he had a degree in the subject) that the camera was incorrect. He estimated my speed at 68mph +/- 2mph. He stated, in court, that it was impossible I was travelling at the speed alleged.

Obviously, the charge was dropped. No. The DJ said that he accepted the evidence of the expert BUT, as the officer using the equipment said he thought I looked to be speeding, he was going to prosecute anyway.

My solicitors were up in arms. But I had to take it on the chin. Moving to the high court was an option I couldn’t afford.

It’s all about the money I’m afraid.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

GOG47:

OK.

If it was just about speeding then yeah, you get what you deserve. But it goes onto to mention other things including not being in proper control, now we’ve all taken a bite from a sandwich or a swig from a bottle of water etc in perfectly safe conditions, is this another thing they’re going for under the umbrella of road safety?

GORDON 50:

Franglais:

GOG47:

OK.

If it was just about speeding then yeah, you get what you deserve. But it goes onto to mention other things including not being in proper control, now we’ve all taken a bite from a sandwich or a swig from a bottle of water etc in perfectly safe conditions, is this another thing they’re going for under the umbrella of road safety?

I’ve had a swig of water too.
I’ve also been overtaken by those chewing on sarnies, swigging coffee, and unable to stay between the lines.
Having a swig on a straight quiet road is one thing. Weaving about in traffic is another.

Franglais:

GOG47:

OK.

So do you stick to EVERY speed limit scrupulously wherever you travel at ALL times?..nah, didn’t think so. In the real world very few do (myself included). It’s the disingenuous “safety camera” aspect they use that ■■■■■■ me off. In my locality they tend to sit on the longest, widest, straightest parts of the A roads rather than on the edge of villages or outside schools.

If a driver was SEEN doing something they should not then it begs the question - what that the appropriate time to do it :question:

have always wondered [if you were a passenger] would it be possible/acheivable to lob a housebrick through the small window where the camera is when passing at say 30mph?

GOG47:

Franglais:

GOG47:

OK.

So do you stick to EVERY speed limit scrupulously wherever you travel at ALL times?..nah, didn’t think so. In the real world very few do (myself included). It’s the disingenuous “safety camera” aspect they use that ■■■■■■ me off. In my locality they tend to sit on the longest, widest, straightest parts of the A roads rather than on the edge of villages or outside schools.

WTF?
Where have I said or suggested I stick to all speed limits at all times?
Nah, didn’t think so.
So, you think we need more cameras in more dangerous locations?
Yeah, good sense.

Ours in East Yorkshire are just plain white :wink: you wouldn’t even know they are their. Tailed with unmarked cars for the catch :wink:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

as stated above, not always but most of the time they will sit where they can get the most tickets issued. In Devon and Cornwall, they often sit on the A30 dual carriageway… do they sit near dangerous junctions with short slip roads etc to keep speeds under control? No, they sit at the bottom of a dip/crest of a hill with no junction or anything remotely nearby to speak of. That way they can catch many going at 80 etc in the spot where its not really any more hazardous than doing 70 when the speed limit was set at such decades ago in an old clapped out banger on drum brakes with no abs etc and running on inferior old tech tyres.

…But it’s all about road safety, not raising revenue don’t ya know :unamused: