New plug for cool box

Slammed the door on my halfords fridge cable, completely coping the wire. I have a new plug, but as the cable is just black two core I wasn’t sure which way round to connect it to the plug. Electrics aren’t my strong pint!

Is it a 3 pin plug like a domestic one or 12v type for cig lighter

It shouldn’t matter which way you connect it, it is unlikely to get hot instead of cold :wink:

Just check the inner core, one may be copper and the other steel, then you can probably trace it back to the switch to check.

Morning. It’s a 12v cigarette plug. Problem with thing any wires back to the plug…I dragged out about 30 miles. I was left with just a frayed wire!
My concern was damaging the electrics by by wiring it back to front.

Don’t think that will matter. What colour are the wires? If they’re the same then the polarity won’t be an issue. Any motorist discount store should have another socket for a couple of quid.
If you’ve damaged the wires beyond repair it should be possible to replace the wire in it’s entirity if you can remove the back of your cool box where the wires disappear.

I would ask on a auto or sparky forum just to be sure.

Can you put the plug into the fridge either way round? If so then the polarity doesn’t matter. Sometimes they fit one way only.

If it’s anything like my fridge, it needs to be the correct way round as it has a load of electronics inside - also the Peltier module that a lot of them use need to be wired correctly.

There are a lot of replacement cables on Ebay for a couple of quid or so, might be an option?

Gary

Both wires are black although one has a ridge along the plastic casing.

Can’t open fridge it’s a sealed unit

Just checked it - the standard wiring for this sort of plug (assuming its the rectangular one with one notch out along the bottom), is that the LH pin, looking into the fridge connector and assuming that the notch is on the bottom, is the positive one, going to the centre pin on the ■■■ lighter plug - obviously if you look into the end of the plug itself, it will be the one on the right.

Gary

I’m sure you’d get a replacement lead from cpc.farnell.com/ I’ve found them reasonably cheap with free P&P. I get most of my electrical accessories from them, lighting, plugs, cables. I even got myself a couple of shucko plugs & adapters for Switzerland and Italy for my recent trip as I was carrying a lot of gizmos

Cheers, the problem is the new boxes don’t have a removable lead. Therefore a replacement cable is out, as is looking at the plug to find positive and negative.

Dunno if you’re sorted yet but if not,give us the details of the fridge and I’ll see what I can find.
I’m up by you every day so may be able to pre-wire a plug to put on the wire you have left if our paths cross.

I’ve got a length of wire with a fused plug (correct amp). All I need to know now is which end to connect to which. If it’s wrong will it just blow a fuse?

Well I was going to suggest that you put a fuse in each wire that way,whichever way you wire it,it is protected but there is a danger the fuse wont blow quick enough and bugger it up or it may not.
There may be a reverse protection diode to protect it but then that would mean breaking open the fridge to fix it.

You may get away with the things above,but then that’s only based on my tinkering and no qualifications.It’s a shame it’s sealed or you cant get a wiring diagram to find the live.

As an aside,I wonder if it’s worth throwing a PM to Repton as if I recall he has a website dealing in electronics.