New photocard renewal and expiry date

I applied at the end of March 2020 to renew my licence as it was due to expire at the end of May. I went along to my local DVLA approved post office to get this done as I didn’t have an up to date passport. I got it back today and the licence looks a little different from the one I had since 2012. Where my photo is it looks a lot more faded and this side of the card has almost a white background with a black and white photo. I thought at first the ink had come off or something but I managed to find an image online that looks like the change I have mentioned.

Secondly my Cat C and C+E categories both have expiry dates for 04-05-2025. I was under the impression you had to get a medical at 45 years old (I am 44 at the end of this month). 4b at the front of the card also says 04-05-2025. So do I need to get the medical next year to be on the safe side or go with the expiry date on my card? I don’t want to risk driving illegally for the sake of a medical. I was going to phone the DVLA today to check this and due to the current crisis they are only taking key worker calls.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nope, no medical required. You’ve unwittingly exploited a particular loophole, take advantage of it. DVLA will get in touch with you shortly before the expiry date on your new licence with regards to your medical.

the maoster:
Nope, no medical required. You’ve unwittingly exploited a particular loophole, take advantage of it. DVLA will get in touch with you shortly before the expiry date on your new licence with regards to your medical.

Thanks for the response. It seems odd they haven’t closed this one. Would the police be ok with regards this if I ever get stopped for a check?

They’d be absolutely fine and ok with it mate. You are NOT breaking any laws, simply taking advantage of a known loophole. The moderator ROG on here will explain it fully once he wakes up. :wink:

the maoster:
They’d be absolutely fine and ok with it mate. You are NOT breaking any laws, simply taking advantage of a known loophole. The moderator ROG on here will explain it fully once he wakes up. :wink:

Thanks for the reassurance. It’ll save me some money for the time being until it comes around.

Let me get my head around this, you know you need a medical for HGV when you are 45.
You have renewed now and as you state in your post you are 43.

So why are you fretting about a medical you don’t require, DVLA sent you a 5 year licence, they don’t seem bothered, the medical for a renewal is required only when DVLA send out the medical forms with your renewal paperwork. Next time you renew you will have the pleasure of a doctor ticking NO boxes, taking your blood pressure, getting you to read an eye test and signing you fit to drive all in the space of 3 to 5 minutes, the quicker he does it the more he can fit in, the richer he gets.

Hycus:
Let me get my head around this, you know you need a medical for HGV when you are 45.
You have renewed now and as you state in your post you are 43.

So why are you fretting about a medical you don’t require, DVLA sent you a 5 year licence, they don’t seem bothered, the medical for a renewal is required only when DVLA send out the medical forms with your renewal paperwork. Next time you renew you will have the pleasure of a doctor ticking NO boxes, taking your blood pressure, getting you to read an eye test and signing you fit to drive all in the space of 3 to 5 minutes, the quicker he does it the more he can fit in, the richer he gets.

It’s fine. All it was was I initially thought there was some sort of error. All is good and thanks for clarification.