New pass

Hi all first post on here I’ve passed my class 2 5 weeks ago, just wondered if anyone knew of company’s around manchester that take on new drivers I’ve signed up to about 7 agencies I’ve done my first day today driving for palmer Harvey but looks like I’m not in tomorrow I know it’s easier with a class 1 but need to raise the £600 to do it. Any help is much appreciated thanks

:smiley: :smiley:

It still surprises me how many still refer to the pre 1990 HGV classes instead of the current LGV categories

that’s nothing Rog…my friend keeps a German Shepherd Dog,and no end of people still call it an Alsation…despite the Kennel Club changing the name to GSD in 1977! and most of the people using the Alsation name are youngsters born after 1977 :open_mouth:

Welcome mate. Was it P&H at Haydock you did a day for?

Congrats on the pass drive :smiley:

P&H haydock I assume is still looking for regular drivers as I get the odd phone call from my previous agency asking if I want a shift their. It’s hard work but it will be cash in the bank to pay for Class 1

Yeah p&h in haddock I’m not in tomorrow gone quiet apparently, the agency told me I’d be with someone to show me what do to, got there this morning here you go here is the key and paper work off you go luckily it was only 2 drops and was on way home by 12:20.
I will always think of it as class 2 and 1 it’s what I was brought up with(stepdad and uncle) both class 1 owner drivers.
I know it’s hard for a new pass but I just want the hours to be there every week.

Hmm P&H Haddock. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Its one of very few places that will give you a start. I did 12 months there to build experience. Great for driving experience.

Very bad for being knackered and treated like a slave and/or an idiot by all the shop/petrol station tools.

m4rkj:
Yeah p&h in haddock I’m not in tomorrow gone quiet apparently, the agency told me I’d be with someone to show me what do to, got there this morning here you go here is the key and paper work off you go luckily it was only 2 drops and was on way home by 12:20.
I will always think of it as class 2 and 1 it’s what I was brought up with(stepdad and uncle) both class 1 owner drivers.
I know it’s hard for a new pass but I just want the hours to be there every week.

If you run out with a full wagon you might get a 2nd man. Helps the day go bit quicker.

I only did a month and found full time work. It was hell on earth but it was miles under the belt

Just had a phone call back from muller wiseman on trafford park got to go on in Thursday for an assessment and interview so fingers crossed. Has anyone here worked for them if so what is the job like thanks

Hgl agency on reed. Co. UK are crying out for c2 at bidvest in Royton… Be warned hard handball heavy work but experience non the less;-)

Wisemans use scania opticruise. (Auto but with a clutch for stop/start). From the drivers ive spoken to in the past(before I became a class 1 Jedi Master),they reckoned they were getting around £24k for a 48 hour week.

Just remember the old phrase…no point in crying over spilt milk. Hit a stone with one of those milk trolleys and you will find out what I mean!

Reporting in for having that particular T-shirt Mr.Beaver :cry:
Too many years to remember on the FFPP dpt of a certain well-known supermarket gave me a great insight into the ins and outs of ‘milk’.

Even when empty, those cages are a nightmare to control. And lest ye who reaches over and tries to gain more grip as the evil creatures have a nasty tendency to somehow nip your fingers in the most hideous fashion.

When loaded, the ‘tets’ are ridonculously heavy and the vast majority have busted door mechanism’s leading to said spilt milk scenarios.
Nothing worse than the Matrix-induced slowing down of time as you see one going over - well apart from the first time you see it and try to stop it.
That’s the last time you try that.
The alternative, as you mention, is the door popping when you hit a stone/lip/dock-plate - resulting in flying milk and a big, smelly mess to clean up.
Personally witnessed an agency driver set off with a cage from the far end of the truck, watch it approach light speed with him still in tow and, as it caught on the dock-plate, stop dead and eject every single 6pt milk tet out of the cage :open_mouth:
I think we gave that particular guy a round of applause for that… well and a mop and a couple of buckets of course.

If you do manage to get them to the shop-floor then you might still have the delights of a single, solitary ‘leaker’ hidden deep within the centre of the whole cage.
Such a satisfying game trying to find the little sh*t :imp:

Ahhh… the good ol’ days!

Jon