New pass work prospects, salary and work life balance

Is it realistic for a new pass to secure a job that’s not going to be detrimental to family life?

I’d like to join this industry but not if it destroys my family life. It’s a lot to invest only to find that I’m not happy with the jobs that are attainable.

Has anyone got some input on this question?

I’d also need to be earning 30k minimum.

Am I dreaming? Or is it possible.

Thinking of going to straight to C+E for a new career.

Age 45. Near Oxford

There certainly are jobs out there where you only work Mon-Fri days with no nights out and no expectation of 13-15 hour shifts. I’ve had such ever since I started driving commercially in 2005.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I’d say it is possible, 30k pa should be easy enough to achieve even as a new pass.

You might find that rigid jobs offer a better work / life balance as a lot more doing day work and keeping local but still paying decent money. Plus training costs reduced if not doing full course.

Invariably the best jobs are ones that aren’t advertised, door knocking is well worth the effort in my experience

Roymondo:
There certainly are jobs out there where you only work Mon-Fri days with no nights out and no expectation of 13-15 hour shifts. I’ve had such ever since I started driving commercially in 2005.

What jobs of you don’t mind me asking? I’m a new pass Class 1 and looking for work similar to this.

bluetone80:

Roymondo:

What jobs of you don’t mind me asking? I’m a new pass Class 1 and looking for work similar to this.

Builders merchants, that style of thing. Healthcare (which is where I am). There are I’m sure lots of other “own account” type jobs which involve collections/deliveries at smaller businesses who don’t operate 24/7. A lot of this will be Class 2 work, but there’s a generous smattering of Class 1 stuff in there as well.

A lot of construction based jobs such as tippers and mixers will be fairly regular hours, some of the tipper firms run artic tippers running bulk material to concrete plants etc.

Waste & recycling sector - skips and roll off bins, again often will have mixed fleets of rigid vehicles and bulkers or wag and drag

Even in my industry, plant hire and haulage we work fairly regular day shifts 0630 - 1730 max weekdays with little optional weekend work.

Obviously all of these sectors operate outside of the hours but a lot of companies don’t

With driving often there is no such thing as a finish time. Effectively you are finished when the job is done. The start times can be antisocial and a lot of driving jobs involve some degree of weekend work (on an increasing basis these days). If you get your foot in the door with a decent employer, there can be a seniority structure where you may not get desirable start times or Monday to Friday work straight away.

You may need to get some experience together through an agency.

There is always the impending chance of becoming unfit to drive through a medical condition or not passing a medical.

You can get stuck out with a breakdown or traffic jam. You may need to sleep in the truck occasionally.

You can potentially get personally fined for a wide degree of offences relating to driving and the vehicle.

You can be treated very very badly and talked to like you are the scum of the earth.

Driver facilities are often very poor at delivery / collection locations.

The public tend to look down on lorry drivers much of the time. The public perception is of a fat oaf with very few qualifications and bad body odour.

The public will resent drivers being paid well because of the perception of the job. You are just driving and it isn’t really working as you are just listening to the radio etc etc.

a true perspective on the reality of driving and well written by mr noremac and I will interject with do not expect to get your own truck or allocated truck on day one

Most big firms have a pecking order so if someone dies , get the sack , made redundant , quit their Job , it is a long waiting game of cab hopping

But good luck from JIm b

Hi.

I’ve just started the process of getting a provisional HGV license and have also been looking through the job-boards to see what work is available locally.

Assuming in a few months I am successful and get an HGV qualification, is there much work available for a newly qualified HGV driver, with no experience?

It seems like a catch 22 - I need experience that I can onlly get by having a job. Yet, to get a job, I need driving experience.

Are there jobs now for inexperienced HGV drivers? (I’m 51 and have been driving cars since 1987, with no points, no convictions and no accidents)

Thanks

There are companies who will take on new drivers. Best option is to knock on doors (this can’t be said often enough).

Hit Google and find out where all the local haulage companies to you are, and go see them. You’ll be surprised.

I’m personally not expecting much in terms of work/life balance, at least at the beginning. I’m going in zero experience as a newbie somewhere. I can have a rough idea before I start if I’m happy with the working times, but otherwise you can’t do this job expecting a tidy 9-5 and home by 5:30. I’m personally looking at RDC work/overnight trunking (if I can get it), but then I’ve always been a night person anyway (even in my current job).

More than the hours, you need to look at the type of work you’re doing and whether you’re happy with it. There is a lot of varied work out there.

lee.cooper:
Hi.

I’ve just started the process of getting a provisional HGV license and have also been looking through the job-boards to see what work is available locally.

Assuming in a few months I am successful and get an HGV qualification, is there much work available for a newly qualified HGV driver, with no experience?

It seems like a catch 22 - I need experience that I can onlly get by having a job. Yet, to get a job, I need driving experience.

Are there jobs now for inexperienced HGV drivers? (I’m 51 and have been driving cars since 1987, with no points, no convictions and no accidents)

Thanks

I have no doubt you will find something with relative ease, might not be the perfect job to start but there will be something. You may need to hunt for it by door knocking.

lee.cooper:
Hi.

Thanks

It depends what your location is. Most fast food delivery type companies take on new pass as soon as you have your licence in hand. It’s hard work though. If you’re in or around Birmingham I know a few companies that will take you on.
There is generally two types of companies in my experience.

1. The one that thinks too much of themselves, driving assessments and loads of paperwork and you’re in the office for every minor thing.
  2. The ones who don’t care, there’s your unit, there’s your trailer and this is where you go. See you later.

You get more experience with the latter because you kind of have to figure it out yourself.

Logistics people/ Stobart generally take on new pass drivers but training is next to nothing although is good for experience and it’s stable work.

For those who want work/life balance- This is the wrong job for it [emoji2960][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk