New pass DVLA not returned licence

Hello,

So I’m reading a few different things online about DVLA Swansea being backlogged with licences. I’m a new pass (10th August) and the examiner sent off my result and licence from there end. It’s been 3 weeks and it says to get in contact with them if it’s longer than 3 weeks for my licence to be returned, but I can’t get through to anyone. Whilst my licence has been with them it has expired. I’ve tried to renew online but says I can’t at the moment. I’m just wondering can I go ahead and get a job with out my plastic licence? I’ve got my pass certificate, drivers card and tacho.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

I don’t believe it would be legal.

Even if it were legal, I personally wouldn’t take the risk of letting someone in this position drive for a company I was involved with.

A TM has their neck on the block when it comes to making sure drivers are properly licenced; the Traffic Commissioner forum member will tell you it’s one of the Seven Deadly Sins of O-licencing, which means guaranteed “tea and biscuits”.

These days a TM can check a persons licence online which tells them what the current situation is on that licence - that is more accurate than seeing the plastic licence which does not always give all the current info

But there’s no obligation to take risks when they have reservations about a situation. If the HGVCHRIS123 can convince someone to “risk it for a biscuit”, best of luck to him.

Okay thank you both for the reply.

I think I will start to get in contact with a few job opportunities and just explain my situation and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing a check online to see if your categories have changed may give you an idea if your card is in progress.

I think you can drive with a pass certificate to be honest with you (regardless of whether it has been updated online), but nine times out of ten you will be told you need the piece of plastic.

AFAIK it is a legal requirement to be in possession of the “piece of plastic” to drive (even cars).

It was something brought in with the photocard licence back whenever it was (1998?). I never drive without it (and the paper counterpart when that was required).

Thanks all for the replies yes when I check online it says “unclaimed test pass” which I’ve been told is when it’s being processed but I’m more concerned about the fact my licence has expired and it won’t let me renew?

HGVCHRIS123:
Thanks all for the replies yes when I check online it says “unclaimed test pass” which I’ve been told is when it’s being processed but I’m more concerned about the fact my licence has expired and it won’t let me renew?

How about renewing your licence using the lost licence rule :bulb: :question:

TruckerGuy:
AFAIK it is a legal requirement to be in possession of the “piece of plastic” to drive (even cars).

It was something brought in with the photocard licence back whenever it was (1998?). I never drive without it (and the paper counterpart when that was required).

As a very recent ex-driving examiner (cars). I can tell you that once you pass your test and have your mitts on the certificate, it is legal for you to drive. We tell people they just need to sort out their insurance as it will be different now they’ve passed. But if they can do that over the phone, they can drive away from the test centre legally while we go inside and feed their provisional licence to the shredder.

I assume it’s the same for C+E but would imagine that regardless of the legality, it is down to the employer to make that decision. And you can’t blame them if they decide to wait for the plastic.

grumpybum:

TruckerGuy:

As a very recent ex-driving examiner (cars). I can tell you that once you pass your test and have your mitts on the certificate, it is legal for you to drive. We tell people they just need to sort out their insurance as it will be different now they’ve passed. But if they can do that over the phone, they can drive away from the test centre legally while we go inside and feed their provisional licence to the shredder.

I assume it’s the same for C+E but would imagine that regardless of the legality, it is down to the employer to make that decision. And you can’t blame them if they decide to wait for the plastic.

Okay thank you. When someone passes there test do you guys send off the details by post or online just because there is different wait times depending which way it’s done. I’ve emailed DVLA now for clear guidance since my situations a little strange with my licence expired but my pass still going through and me not being able to apply for renewing my licence.

It’s done automatically through the software that runs the test. So the examiners just enter the marks and it’s reported straight away. Of course, as we’re all finding out - that doesn’t mean that an actual human responds and processes it straight away at the DVLA

Thank you all for your replies. Just to confirm Incase anyone else is in the same situation I have now managed to get through to DVLA on the phone and they have confirmed that they have received my pass and are working through it. They have also told me that I am able to drive even though my licence has expired as they are aware of my licence and it’s being processed.

Thanks all again.

Strange,

my licence was shown as issues online the day after my test (test was 7am Friday and shown as issued on Tuesday). Arrived the following week (not quite sure which day as I was away ■■■■ between Tuesday and Saturday.

Edit to add: I’m a leg amputee so was worried it would get caught up in medical issues but the test was done as a standard (i.e. non disability) test and it came straight back.

dom_f:
Strange,

my licence was shown as issues online the day after my test (test was 7am Friday and shown as issued on Tuesday). Arrived the following week (not quite sure which day as I was away ■■■■ between Tuesday and Saturday.

Edit to add: I’m a leg amputee so was worried it would get caught up in medical issues but the test was done as a standard (i.e. non disability) test and it came straight back.

Okay thanks mate was that recently or in the past? I know there is massive delays because of covid

It seems those who sent their licence via registered post are the people experiencing lengthy delays?