New (or old) drivers looking for sat nav advice

Some of you know of the Snooper brand of Sat nav. I myself had a s8000 for 9 years. Absolutely brilliant. Sadly thats all changed. The new device is awful and I’m hearing from many other drivers they’re having the same experience. Corrupted SD cards, poor satellite coverage and an even worse customer service . This I can definitely attest to. I’ve pasted a Trust pilot review below from another disgruntled customer. ( currently their rating is below 2 stars!!)

Gary Hay
5 reviews
GB
Rated 1 out of 5 stars
Oct 19, 2020
Road Angel Group / Snooper Series Products
Road Angel Group recently bought over the Snooper Brand of products sold by rival firm PPL Ltd - within 3 months, they declared that 3 of the Snooper products with lifetime subscription / database updates were obsolete and attempted to “help” customers onto annual subscriptions with their Road Angel Pure system instead.
When I politely voiced my disquiet at this on their facebook page, my posts were deleted and I was banned from commenting further. I subsequently wrote to their customer Service manager, who was extraordinarily rude and declined to apologise for his departments poor behaviour. Road Angel have a history of reneging on lifetime updates for their devices (Road Angel Classic) so it doesn’t surprise me at all that they now employ the same tactic with brands that they buy-out.
I will never spend another dime with either Snooper or Road Angel and if you do, be prepared to be treated with absolute contempt sooner or later.

I use the Tomtom Expert 7.

No complaints from me, does the job.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Lifetime map updates have always been for the lifetime of the device (before being considered obsolete) as opposed to the lifetime of the driver. TomTom stop updating certain satnavs too.

i’ve had a tom tom a garmin and a pro nav and all 3 of them were absolute garbage,
a total waste of money, i could have found places quicker blindfolded

The Tom Tom Expert is decent and quick, I use it along side an app called delm8 to find address, but my line of work involves a lot of rural, residential etc, so postcodes are often a big area

It is still a sat nav, so its routing can be a little, odd while it does a good enough job keeping away from bridges and weight restrictions, it does like to go around the houses at times, or want to send you down daft roads but no matter what satnav you use its not supposed to be followed blindly, keep your eyes open, if the road doesn’t look right don’t go down it, if all the roadsigns say to use a certain route, its probably the better one and so on

Do any of you use the openrouteservice (ORS)? I think it has something to do with openstreetmaps which means that google wont be asking you to review the shop nearby your other girlfriends house because you are cutting google out the loop. I know the OSM isn’t all that great as an app but works well on a browser but it doesn’t do routing. I have been looking around for something non-google and all I could find were things that charge money for what is effectively no better than google since you can still come a cropper driving up a one way street into a 10 foot high bridge.

Before I was trucking, anytime I need a satnav, I preferred openstreetmaps as it protected my privacy more but now I need a satnav everyday as theres no such thing as “the knowledge” when it comes to trucking as you would have to know every part of the country. I wouldnt trust google to give me a impartial search let alone know my location at every moment of the day but I am compelled to have it due to no other options at present and was wondering if anyone had tried open route service as their satnav of choice?