New operator seminar.

I have had my operator licence for nearly 6 months and have just had a letter come through for a “New operator seminar”.What can i expect from this,and is it quite normal to get one.
Its a half day course and i will be attending with my transport manager.

Yes this is the norm these days. It will be members of DVSA enforcement team explaining what the Traffic Commissioner expects, what DVSA do and how to stay compliant. A good opportunity to ask questions about anything your not sure about also.

Madison5:
Yes this is the norm these days. It will be members of DVSA enforcement team explaining what the Traffic Commissioner expects, what DVSA do and how to stay compliant. A good opportunity to ask questions about anything your not sure about also.

Are they likely to quiz me about the law.And will it have any bearing on my licence.

peter1974:

Madison5:

Are they likely to quiz me about the law.And will it have any bearing on my licence.

No it’s very informal .

peter1974:

Madison5:

Hi Peter,

Have no fears mate, it’s all perfectly normal.

You’ve had a great answer from Madison5, and I’ll just add that there’s a clue in the title… it’s a seminar. :smiley:

A seminar is a good thing, and I’ll predict that both you and your TM will benefit greatly from your attendance because you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and be part of a discussion.

I’ll predict that you’ll leave the seminar as a much wiser man than when you went, and it won’t be painful. :smiley:

Enjoy!!

As stated by others, if you attend and look interested for the couple of hours you may learn something but more importantly you’ll have been seen to be doing the right thing by TC. It’s very informal.

don’t panic , ive been owner driver for 8 years but applied for new licence due to going ltd, so went to seminar , you don’t have to, but they get everybody to sign to say they attended, if your on top of what you do you may be surprized how useless some of the others who are meant to be 'transport managers ’ are , overall very worthwhile attending theyre not that scary ( quite the opposite actually)

As all the above have said…no quiz or test and your likely to learn something that you may not have been aware off, such as DVSA rules on immobilisation and penalties etc. Although the letter you get is an “invitation” and you are not obliged to attend should you find yourself at a PI in time to come the fact that you didn’t attend a seminar will be something the TC mentions. My recommendation to anyone…if you have the half day free attend.