New Operator Seminar

A month or so ago, I received a phone call from the DVSA “inviting” me to a New Operator Seminar. And when I say “inviting”, here’s the invitation.

Now, I’m quite happy to go along, I aim for 100% compliance and I reckon statistically I reach about 99.7%, just the odd tacho infringement where I have been caught up in the aftermath of a RTA, and I have had a good relationship with the DVSA up to now. They generally leave me to get on with it, and I’d prefer to keep it that way- I wouldn’t want them constantly stopping me until they find the magnet or the secret red diesel tank. :wink:

I’d be interested in knowing what goes on at one of these seminars from anybody who has been to one?

Harry Monk:
A month or so ago, I received a phone call from the DVSA “inviting” me to a New Operator Seminar. And when I say “inviting”, here’s the invitation.

Now, I’m quite happy to go along, I aim for 100% compliance and I reckon statistically I reach about 99.7%, just the odd tacho infringement where I have been caught up in the aftermath of a RTA, and I have had a good relationship with the DVSA up to now. They generally leave me to get on with it, and I’d prefer to keep it that way- I wouldn’t want them constantly stopping me until they find the magnet or the secret red diesel tank. :wink:

I’d be interested in knowing what goes on at one of these seminars from anybody who has been to one?

I went to one at Gillingham earlier this year, They tell you what they expect in terms of maintenance and record keeping and how they enforce it, basically they tell you what you should know being a CPC holder, but as many of the people there were from companies that had restricted licences I could see a reason for it.

It was quite easy going, and they were happy to answer questions either during or after the seminar. I do know somebody who did attend and he did get a visit later on in the year, but I don’t know if it was related. :confused:

I have had the pleasure of two of these (don’t ask).
Thinking is they are more effictive (cheaper) than site visits.
As said they just goin to make you aware of you obligations.
Will be a presenter and slide show for hours related then same again for maintence.

Bit slow with your invitation though!

I went to one of these ,it was utter rubbish ,it was basic stuff that really if you didnt know you shouldn’t have gained an o licence ,it was a bit strange as there were transport managers there as well as operators licence holders with out a cpc it wasn’t aimed at one or the other ,there were 2 vosa men in the group that were supposed to of been new recruits gaining info ,info on who I thought ? ,It didn’t last long ,my brother had an invite but didn’t go ,he did get further letters and iam not sure what was the out come its possible he wrote back in the end with feeble excuses .there were some people there asking questions that raised eye brows !

Fascinating, so an employed Tesco trolley dolly driver needs 7 hours of classroom training, to do the job safely, yet everything a new operator needs to know can be barely padded out to 4 hours.

Own Account Driver:
Fascinating, so an employed Tesco trolley dolly driver needs 7 hours of classroom training, to do the job safely, yet everything a new operator needs to know can be barely padded out to 4 hours.

Er no quite, ocpc, dcpc. The seminar is just icing,

bazstan009:

Own Account Driver:

Er no quite, ocpc, dcpc. The seminar is just icing,

Yep doing the Operator CPC is a completely different level to the DCPC, for a start you actually have to pay attention as there is a 4 hour exam at the end.

However you don’t have to have any qualifications or experience of road transport to hold a restricted O’licence.

As others have said its a bit Janet and john , especially if you’re and experienced operator. I was invited to one a couple of months ago and went along.

With VOSA it’s all about playing along and making the right noises. It wasn’t the most interesting Saturday morning I’ve had in Newbury, but had a late Job in London so parked the truck around the corner.

They do this now instead as befire you would have to go to test statuon. Go through everything records etc then would have to tske a truck and trailer with you for a free test

gettin-on:
They do this now instead as befire you would have to go to test statuon. Go through everything records etc then would have to tske a truck and trailer with you for a free test

i didnt , after 3 months they came to see me, truck over the pit and have a poke about, check over my maintenance schedule, ask how i was running things etc and that was it, mind that was 15 yrs ago

bazstan009:
Bit slow with your invitation though!

Well, that’s what I thought, I’ve been going for two and a half years now.

I guess I just have to go along and tug my forelock a bit. :wink:

Hi, as above re the comments. its to a “what is the dvsa all about” meeting, with examiners telling people the basics re compliance with the regs (both maintenance and drivers hours). And yes, generally if you have been invited and failed to explain why you couldn’t attend and then fail to attend after a second invite then dvsa examiners visit you and go through your systems.
How do I know…I’m an ex dvsa examiner turned transport manager who used to present the courses.