New O/D's

globby 480:
But it hasn’t been a good idea to start up as a o/d since the late 70"s, But people still do and still will do as well, its all dome and gloom according to special k. Who basically quotes things what is said in cafes, but makes it sound as though its special k who has the brains etc. special k, ain’t got a clue because he only goes on ear say from others, diesel was 32/33ppl when i first started and even then the rates were crap nothing will change fuel will always go up till there is none left, but people still make a living so make a v,v,good livings some just get by some sink even the big boys run out of luck “so to speak” and sink eventually its just a pity special k could come up with something original and not what he reads in mags and ears in cafes as he ain’t got a clue half the time what earth he is on this of fullers a lot of the problem with special k is he is jealous of people making ago of he where he isn’t willing to try to better his sub standard life style and would sooner pull others down for trying to make something of there lives, whats the saying “haulage will either make or brake you”, but special k thinks from ear say it brakes everyone the man is a crank most days with his lame brain answers

Does anyone know what language this is in so I can paste it into Google translator to find out what it says in English? :grimacing:

Rob K:
Does anyone know what language this is in so I can paste it into Google translator to find out what it says in English? :grimacing:

Shall we have a whip round to get him some capital letters and full stops so it can be split up into sentences? It might make translating it a bit easier :wink:

Paul

Rob K:

globby 480:
But it hasn’t been a good idea to start up as a o/d since the late 70"s, But people still do and still will do as well, its all dome and gloom according to special k. Who basically quotes things what is said in cafes, but makes it sound as though its special k who has the brains etc. special k, ain’t got a clue because he only goes on ear say from others, diesel was 32/33ppl when i first started and even then the rates were crap nothing will change fuel will always go up till there is none left, but people still make a living so make a v,v,good livings some just get by some sink even the big boys run out of luck “so to speak” and sink eventually its just a pity special k could come up with something original and not what he reads in mags and ears in cafes as he ain’t got a clue half the time what earth he is on this of fullers a lot of the problem with special k is he is jealous of people making ago of he where he isn’t willing to try to better his sub standard life style and would sooner pull others down for trying to make something of there lives, whats the saying “haulage will either make or brake you”, but special k thinks from ear say it brakes everyone the man is a crank most days with his lame brain answers

In a nut shell special k it is saying you are A… sounds like??.. “MERCHANT BANKER”, i bet you understand that with out it been google translated, pointless trying to turn the table .Willy splash when the truth is said to you thats your problem special k,you try to pick up on grammer you full understand what i have said and its a fact you are a 100% MERCHANT BANKER !! ya KIN MUPPET

Rob K:

globby 480:

It certainly doesn’t show lorry drivers up in a good light as intelligent businessmen does it Rob? :wink:

I also remember fuel at 31/33ppl around 1984/85 I also remember the difference between good rates and poor rates, this was normally between 72ppm to 90ppm on general haulage. Very simplistic I realise as there were some exceptional rates that got me home every night never being more than 20 miles from it.

I do agree with Globby that some make a living, some make a very good living and even the big boys go pop, but from some of the posts on these forums, it is quite plain to see that the only experience some have is a C+E licence and a list of failed interview techniques.

How many times have we read that? I wanna buy a Scania with spot lights and some chequer plate and be an owner driver. The next sentence normally reads something like, "what are A3 Forwarding like to work for? Or do these companies advertising every month in Truck and Driver pay well? Followed by, "I have just passed my test and cannot get a job. There is a reason for that, no real life experience!

globby 480:

Rob K:

globby 480:

In a nut shell special k it is saying you are A… sounds like??.. “MERCHANT BANKER”, i bet you understand that with out it been google translated, pointless trying to turn the table .Willy splash when the truth is said to you thats your problem special k,you try to pick up on grammer you full understand what i have said and its a fact you are a 100% MERCHANT BANKER !! ya KIN MUPPET

PMSL :grimacing: . I hope you’ve got some spare gaskets to replace that one you’ve just blown. :smiling_imp:

Rob K:

globby 480:

Rob K:

globby 480:

PMSL :grimacing: . I hope you’ve got some spare gaskets to replace that one you’ve just blown. :smiling_imp:

Dont need any spares, just saying it how it is, yes ok everyone has there voice of opinion but this thread was started with rikki saying com motor mag was looking for a new starter etc and along comes THE special k with his Muppet replys as per normal, i aint blown any gaskets with saying you are a MERCHANT BANKER, but special k as i say no good trying to play the silly grammar games i dont give two flying uoooks about grammar, there is spell check etc i choose not to use it as i cannot be arsed to if you cant stand people replying back to you dont post your wise crack comments ,

globby 480:

Rob K:

globby 480:

Rob K:

globby 480:

Dont need any spares, just saying it how it is, yes ok everyone has there voice of opinion but this thread was started with rikki saying com motor mag was looking for a new starter etc and along comes THE special k with his Muppet replys as per normal, i aint blown any gaskets with saying you are a MERCHANT BANKER, but special k as i say no good trying to play the silly grammar games i dont give two flying uoooks about grammar, there is spell check etc i choose not to use it as i cannot be arsed to if you cant stand people replying back to you dont post your wise crack comments ,

Nothing ‘wise crack’ about any of my replies. Everytime I post something you come haring in with your yawn special k comments in a frutile attempt to belittle me in the hope that I’ll go away so you can continue to spread your “owner driving is the best thing in the world” rubbish and you don’t like it when people don’t agree with you and throw it straight back. If you can’t take the heat… :bulb:

You mention my “Muppet replys” [sic] but I have yet to see anyone disagreeing with the points I made in my first post on this thread. You have had plenty of opportunity to dispute my claims and back them up with evidence but instead you prefer to resort to petty name calling like one would expect from a 5 year old. Paul is the only one that has put forward a constructive ‘view point’ worth any salt, and while I don’t agree with his comments about working for forwarders to make money, the rest I agree with.

I look forward to some constructive argument/disagreement with the points I made above, globby, but I realise this is a big ask for someone of your intellect so you’ll forgive me for not holding my breath.

Rikki-UK:
Commercial Motor is looking to do an article on how difficult it is to start up as an O/D at the moment.

If you have recently started up in business with your own truck and wouldnt mind spending a bit of time talking to CM then drop me a PM with a phone number and best time for CM to call

Between all the rest of this thread and one of Globby’s replies. there was this little snip in Rob’s post.

There’s little point in CM speaking to a fresh O/D because they’re still going to be in the honeymoon period all excited from running their own truck and probably not even received their first payment yet. What CM needs to do is speak to those O/D’s that have recently shut up shop out of choice to get a true picture of whether it’s worth it or not.

Would this not give a true picture of how things are out there?

My god Rob your so happy!!! :smiling_imp:

On Thursday CM will reveal that it estimates it costs an owner driver some £31,000 to set themselves up as a business from scratch. This estimate includes not just the set up costs but money to run the business for the first eight weeks, based on 60 day invoice terms.

I would love to know if TruckNet members think it is now to expensive to become an owner-operator?

CM News Editor:
On Thursday CM will reveal that it estimates it costs an owner driver some £31,000 to set themselves up as a business from scratch. This estimate includes not just the set up costs but money to run the business for the first eight weeks, based on 60 day invoice terms.

I would love to know if TruckNet members think it is now to expensive to become an owner-operator?

you are the editor ■■
shouldnt that be “too expensive” :wink:

I am a Tarmac od been one for 27 years I like it…fly in the ointment is the silly WTD and its poa, it will make me sell up and I will not drive for anyone else, why , hours to long wages crap conditions crap ,

meagain:

CM News Editor:

you are the editor ■■
shouldnt that be “too expensive” :wink:

Hi meagain, Yes mate, you’re right, it should be “too,” but since he’s the editor, he’ll probably… err…mmm… edit it. :laughing: :grimacing: