New Nostalgia

Over the last few weeks I have read several posts about how good things were in the old days, even closer to home “things were better years ago” is a regular complaint from my friend and drinking buddy who is 30 in November (soon) Well things were better for him years ago, even days ago, he had two knackers, now he only has one, but that is for a different story :open_mouth:

We all tell the tale of driving over Shap, digging ourselves out of 17’ snowdrifts, walking 12 miles to school and going up the neighbours chimney to rescue Great Auk. Once we got our licence we could rope and sheet without being shown, and these new fangled curtainsider drivers were not real men.

From the days of hand-balling 20 tons of dead sheep onto a rully to the tales of being the first man on the moon, who couldn’t get tipped because he didn’t have blues, the first man was actually said to be a Dutchman, but when he got home he said there were two Brits already there, one was ■■■■■■ and the other was trying to borrow a permit.

In the old days I remember beer at 1/9, ■■■■ in a packet of 2 with a couple of free matches, free school milk in special bottles and long summers, with deep snow! We didn’t lock our doors, because all the thieving scum were nicking stuff from their own neighbours, we could carry guns in the street and shout ACAB at policemen.

The youth of today complain that they have been forced to drive an automatic lorry whilst having no knowledge of a 9 Speed fuller or a 10 speed Spicer, they complain that night heaters don’t blow hot, we didn’t complain if we had to light a fire under the diesel tank just to keep the engine running overnight. We cant have nights out unless we are 1.3metres away from the indicator stalk, Do you ever hear of an older driver complaining? Well yes you do actually, constantly,

Sat in the traffic, the roads were so slow,
these words in my head started to flow.

my boss on the phone to make sure I am on time,
thinking of the best days and my thoughts turned to rhyme
have had a good life, perhaps it was fate
he said it is important that you are not late

The lorries we drove were all damp and dark.
the modern ones are more like the Ritz
All mod cons, and with all the bits.
What a pity there is nowhere to park.

moaning, groaning about his aches, his pains, his boss and his wife.
He moans of delays, he moans of his life!
When we went to work, we were brothers, like a band,
remembering the days when we started the engine by hand.
We arrived at the customer chilled to the bone,
quickly unloaded then searched for a phone.

We got reloaded, we then had to resheet, whilst our new band of brothers are sat in the heat.
The boss was then a friendly chap, who bought beer at the weekend and didn’t talk crap,
the bosses wife, she was a grand lass, he had met her in a layby, somewhere on Shap
the modern man has a mortgage to pay, so when sat in the cafe has nothing to say,
the lad in the office, cannot read and write, the accountant does wages and is especially tight.
the whole job has changed, the world has got smaller, why on earth did I work for a hauler

Cue Monty Python sketch!

youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Ah, NOSTALGIA, its not what it used to be…

Trukkertone:
Ah, NOSTALGIA, its not what it used to be…

That takes me back, I remember when … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The only pallets we saw was when the dockers put them on the back of our trailer for us to unload them by hand, and sat there watching as we did.
nearly every truck had the engine in the cab, with removable panels for the mechanics to sort out the problems.nearly all of them had an old blanket on to keep the heat in, and the draught out. When transport mechanics would strip down starters/dynamos ( wots one of those ) and repair it, nowdays theyre called fitters, cos all they can do is fit and not repair.
When bosses would drag you in the back office and give you a clump, if you was a naughty boy.
When there was no mobile phones, and it was twopence in the box and push button A, till someone showed us how to tap the phone for a free call, just to claim it back on expenses.
When we had to strip tilts without any help whatsoever, mechanical or otherwise.
When we had to put the sheets on our shoulders, climb on the cat walk, then onto the roof of the cab, and then again onto the top of your load, then do it all again with the 2nd sheet.
When roping, dragging them through ice/snow covered ground, getting covered in ice , and your hands so cold you couldnt feel them, (and split fingers that are still visible today) and warming them on the exhaust fumes, cos the cab heater wasnt working in the lorry you was given that day.
When mirrors wouldnt stay where they were fixed, and had to tie them with string so the lorry going past in the other direction wouldnt dislodge them.
When a 5am start, meant there wasnt many other lorries on the road so early
When there wasnt a single motorway in the country, not even in politicians heads, everything went via national roads.
When the government owned part of the transport industry, such as BRS
add some more yourself.
When containers came in, and we didnt have a trailer to put them on except a flat, and had to chain or rope them on, no twistlocks in those days.
When nearly all drivers wore overalls, and tuf boots, and the older ones a flat cap, ( yeah, even in london )

suppose someone should mention the 180 Gardner… ■■? then I got promoted to a 220 ■■■■■■■■ both of these in an A series ERF… eeeeehhh NOSTALGIA

back in the days when you had to drive through Newbury, if your motor was 400 bhp you were top dog, when an EPS gearbox preferred neutral to any forward gear, Seafrance was called Sealink, you waved to each other over the water, fuel was 62ppl, blah…blah…blah…