New Mercs with no mirrors - opinions

So, what do we reckon…

maxresdefault.jpg

Personally i wouldn t trust the cameras! I need an actual mirror thanks!

But i suppose gets rid of that blind spot…

Looks sleek too i suppose…

Thoughts?

I took a demo motor out a while ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although it felt strange at first.

They would be better suited fixing the awful ride quality than adding camera instead of mirrors.

Wouldn’t drive one if it was the only truck available.

We had a one in this week, as my gaffer is in the market for a minimum of 4 new trucks, and at first I found it strange, but was quite suprrised after a while, and found it ok once it was set up correctly.

Ken.

Bit disconcerting coming up behind one, nudging gently out to where you should be seeing mirrors and you don’t, nudging a bit more wondering if you were overtaking a narrow-cab Iveco and discovering it’s not, then the penny drops, D’oh!

I imagine it takes some getting used too, it’s a habit to look towards the mirrors isn’t it? Suppose I soon got used to not looking in a rear view mirror! ( Half the time now I forget to use the car one! )

Do you get two screens one for each missing mirror? Be a pain if you have to toggle between them!! What about the kerbside mirrors too?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

simcor:
They would be better suited fixing the awful ride quality than adding camera instead of mirrors.

Wouldn’t drive one if it was the only truck available.

I drove regularly a Merc Actros 1851 & 1848, both were 4x2 & had air ride on front & rear axles.
The cab was also air suspended. It was like riding on Alladins carpet, really smooth & comfortable.

I think it’s down too the spec ordered . Steel suspended cab + steel on the front axle are going to be the differences here.

seen pixs of the daf xf abd also heard that volvo scania and other makes are all moving to this now in the next 12 months.so maybe in the next 5 years they will be commom place and u have to do with them no matter what

i would imagine that any retailer with a big stock of those stickers and signs saying “” if you cant see my mirrors,then i cant see you “” might be a tad disgruntled nowadays??
at least those 2 wheeled mobile organ donors who have a slight clue could take a peek in the trucks mirror before heading down the road to squashedland.but even the switched on ones wont have the slightest idea of whether they can be seen or not,so id imagine itl be open season for the mangina brigade in years to come. :laughing:

I had a sit in the cab of one of the demos a few months ago; it’s a very clever bit of kit and I daresay better than conventional mirrors as far as visibility is concerned.

I actually think the stock Actros mirrors are pretty good, certainly when compared to the older Volvo FM and Renault Premium mirrors on my previous trucks.

However; when Mercedes can convince me that there is absolutely no chance of them failing in the middle of an overtake or breaking off when I’m reversing through overhanging trees on a farm, necessitating a garage callout assuming they’ve got the bits in stock, I’ll accept them as a good idea. Till then it remains a gimmick.

Was passiert wenn es regnet?

As said, their development budget would have been better spent sorting out ALL the negativity these abortions crop up…starting with ride quality and comfort.
They are ■■■■ shocking trucks in comparison to a Volvo say…or anything really. :unamused:

As for the mirrors gimmick…that is all it is imo, a pointless gimmick.
I’m all for using tech as an actual improvement to something that needs improved and is actually a BETTER system, but from what I have seen of them it is more like just an ‘‘Alternative System’’…rather than an actual improvement to a standard and trusted mirror system

(Also if you NEED 360 degree panoramic vision to reverse a ■■■■ artic, no matter how good that may or may not be, maybe you shouldn’t be driving a one, just saying. . :bulb:

I drive nights, obviously in the dark, more often than not also in the rain, and I regularly have to blindside reverse (mainly in our own yard) I also have to regularly reverse into buildings which are either a black abyss in daylight (yes I do see a bit in the summer months) or with poorly placed (from a drivers perspective) floodlights when dark, yet I manage all of this with good old fashioned mirrors…

I would love to know how these “camirrors” cope with that, I’m also concerned about the light pollution created by the screens, it’s bad enough if a day driver has turned the backlit dash up too much, that’ll have me reaching for the dimmer controls in a heartbeat, the dimmer you set those mirror screens the less definition you’re going to see I would think.

Gotta admit I’m a firm believer in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, these cameras seem to be a solution to a problem that didn’t exist, and may well even create a few now.

Eh, that’s progress I s’pose.

Time will tell if they last.
On a similar but less tech thing, I remember when Iveco brought out their flagship Turbostar, one of the gimmicks were wipers on mirrors (pre heated mirror days) brilliant idea., but they were totally useless, did not work properly, and were flimsy and easily breakable.
The old strip of rag tied to the mirror arm, although more simple and less pretty :smiley: worked so much better when the wipers eventually broke off (and were too expensive to replace)

To get back to the Mercs…maybe in time there will be a spec option of mirrors or cameras, if they do not prove popular

Are these being fitted as standard now on all mercs? Burells the builder merchants from Gateshead have a new rigid 6 x 2 with them on.
Tyneside

robroy:
Time will tell if they last.
On a similar but less tech thing, I remember when Iveco brought out their flagship Turbostar, one of the gimmicks were wipers on mirrors (pre heated mirror days) brilliant idea., but they were totally useless, did not work properly, and were flimsy and easily breakable.
The old strip of rag tied to the mirror arm, although more simple and less pretty :smiley: worked so much better when the wipers eventually broke off (and were too expensive to replace)

To get back to the Mercs…maybe in time there will be a spec option of mirrors or cameras, if they do not prove popular

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
bad,terrible or atrocious,they are part of the automated driverless truck program so they will be here to stay so long as computers can interact with them better than a mirror.

Total unbelievable idiocy.
Going back to basics mirrors are in an arc line of sight scanning from left to right and right to left and ahead through the windscreen.
It’s obvious that staring at a TV screen on the dash at below windscreen height totally zb’s up that scanning process.
Running into something or someone while watching a TV screen would be grounds for a charge of dangerous driving so why not in this case.

Carryfast:
Going back to basics mirrors are in an arc line of sight scanning from left to right and right to left and ahead through the windscreen.
It’s obvious that staring at a TV screen on the dash at below windscreen height totally zb’s up that scanning process.
Running into something or someone while watching a TV screen would be grounds for a charge of dangerous driving so why not in this case.

The screens are on the door pillars, … only a few inches in from where the mirror would be.

robroy:

Carryfast:

The screens are on the door pillars, … only a few inches in from where the mirror would be.

Great so a small screen two dimensional image 8 feet away across the cab and trucks stuck broken down with TV faults.That’s ok then.Now awaits you have to wear 3d glasses to use them. :confused:
That’s progress.It’s like auto boxes that can’t see a roundabout or a hill ahead.Let’s replace the best combination of eyes and limbs with inferior electronics so someone can make a profit from the needless tech.

tyneside:
Are these being fitted as standard now on all mercs? Burells the builder merchants from Gateshead have a new rigid 6 x 2 with them on.
Tyneside

I thought I’d heard somewhere that they were going to be standard fit, but I’ve noticed a couple of 20 reg Actrosses in the past week with proper mirrors?