New Merc Unit....

…I had the misfortune of having to drive one of these last week.
I loved the inside mirrors(cameras) But the rest was just wrong and it decided to pull away by itself whilst on a red light at a junction with a car directly in front of me, thankfully I was on the brakes and stopped an accident.

The seat was good, leather and all the right supports in all the right places, but all the driver aids were just too harsh in execution and it was a horrible thing when in full on auto mode, in that it did all the distancing, braking and parking brake thing, it also slowed for speed limits, which was useful, but even that was harsh, not a smooth drive at all.

I shall not be driving it again.

Tude:
I loved the inside mirrors(cameras) But the rest was just wrong and it decided to pull away by itself whilst on a red light at a junction with a car directly in front of me, thankfully I was on the brakes and stopped an accident.

The seat was good, leather and all the right supports in all the right places, but all the driver aids were just too harsh in execution and it was a horrible thing when in full on auto mode, in that it did all the distancing, braking and parking brake thing, it also slowed for speed limits, which was useful, but even that was harsh, not a smooth drive at all.

Can you not by.pass all that crap?..serious question, because one fine day I could be getting a one :open_mouth: :unamused: ,.although told them I’d prefer to keep my old one. ( prefer may be the wrong word, seeing as a DAF or a Scania or in fact any goddam thing ain’t an option.)

Presumably somebody will say if you do knock all that stuff off, it may go against you in an accident situation (although not in your example) but I’d be willing to take that chance.
I’m all for new improvement tech btw…, but totally against unnecessary tech,.and tech for tech’s sake. :bulb: :imp:

robroy:

Tude:

Can you not by.pass all that crap?..serious question, because one fine day I could be getting a one :open_mouth: :unamused: ,.although told them I’d prefer to keep my old one. ( prefer may be the wrong word, seeing as a DAF or a Scania or in fact any goddam thing ain’t an option.)

Presumably somebody will say if you do knock all that stuff off, it may go against you in an accident situation (although not in your example) but I’d be willing to take that chance.
I’m all for new improvement tech btw…, but totally against unnecessary tech,.and tech for tech’s sake. :bulb: :imp:

I had one of the later ones on demo for a week and could not work out how to turn the adaptive cruise of completely . The gearbox was as good as any Volvo I’ve driven always in the right gear and no hesitation and a huge improvement over he Oder one . And the cruise was spot on as the thing knows were you are and will slow and negotiate a roundabout with you only steering just need to watch out for traffic on the roundabout but if clear will drive around it and then speed up to the speed limit only

^^^^^^^
Call me old fashioned (which I mebbys am :smiley: ) but I prefer to ‘‘drive’’ a truck myself.
Is there any real NEED for the feature you mention ?
I can’t see it myself, but there you go,.that’s the way things are going now. :open_mouth:

robroy:
^^^^^^^
Call me old fashioned (which I mebbys am :smiley: ) but I prefer to ‘‘drive’’ a truck myself.
I can’t see it myself, but there you go,.that’s the way things are going now. :open_mouth:

Shhhh, you will wake Dr Damon!

i wasn’t looking forward to getting my new 69 plate Actros,but i’ve got used to it now.i don’t bother to turn off any of the ‘safety features’ any more,as i did in my old Daf.we don’t carry a lot of weight,so i don’t know if it would die on hills…like Merc’s of old :laughing: .
Btw…the forward facing and side view cameras helped prove that i was completely clear of any blame after a car collided with me last week in Portsmouth :smiley:

Sounds like soon it really is going to be steering wheel attendants required

robroy:
^^^^^^^

I’d say for now it’s a gimmick . And when the trucks get older the expensive software and mapping won’t get updated rendering them useless.

robroy:
^^^^^^^

Saw a young lass online who pulls livestock talking about how the emergency braking system on her DAF can misread shadows from motorway bridges as a hazard & slam on the anchors. Not ideal. One of my workmates had the emergency braking system in a Merc go off in error on the A38. Again, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

rob22888:

robroy:
^^^^^^^

Saw a young lass online who pulls livestock talking about how the emergency braking system on her DAF can misread shadows from motorway bridges as a hazard & slam on the anchors. Not ideal. One of my workmates had the emergency braking system in a Merc go off in error on the A38. Again, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

yes,my old 65 plate CF used to do that as well :frowning: one bridge over the A46 was the same.

rob22888:

Our DAFs do that too. It’s only a couple very specific gantries though, it might be because there’s a slight elevation angle (like a mini-hill/bump) just before those.

Northbound on the A38 passing Fradley was my old Daf’s favourite…[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

rob22888:

robroy:
^^^^^^^

My Volvo’s on-board navigation system, keeps sending me into Gregg’s, I can’t defect perfect…

Witnessed you driving it for tescos. You were going far too slow. Look at your rear cam next time and let the van man past. Beep beep.

cgscott:
Witnessed you driving it for tescos. You were going far too slow. Look at your rear cam next time and let the van man past. Beep beep.

Next time your daddy stops, make sure he doesn’t see that you’ve got his phone :smiley: because tossco to the best of my I spy lorry spotting book doesn’t show a tossco Ovlov, O and I’m not a plobber. So could you move over coming by Whooosh…

cgscott:

Not hard to overtake in a fiesta van though is it :unamused:

We had one on demo from Northside at Leeds for 2 weeks, and the guy that did the evaluation for us, loved it and couldn’t really find a fault with it.

As TM, I got the data from them, and running around the doors on local, it was doing 10.1mpg, and the rep said that on long runs, it would be capable of doing 11+ on our work, and if we got them, the drivers would be properly trained by Mercedes foc, to get the best out of them.

So far it has been the best of the demos we have had insofar as fuel.

Quite funny actually, because when my gaffer rang Volvo, they said they couldn’t bring us a demo because of Covid 19, but we were welcome to go to them and try one!!! Didn’t know Covid only went one way… Needless to say, they got told to do one.

Ken.