New Merc Arocs construction truck

first pictures and full details here

truckingtopics.co.uk/arocslaunch.html

Hi all.Nice truck,but like all of the modern heavy duty trucks built for the construction and mining industry they are incredibly ‘‘over engineered’’ for the work they do which makes them so sensitive to the smallest ‘‘hiccup’’ when being used.Added to the complexity of engineering are added the computer and electrics which make most modern trucks so difficult to keep going with ‘‘small problems’’ without having to call a service ‘‘engineer’’ with a computer to tell you you must change a fuse.Mike

Sounds a good idea but I bet the payload will be crap. Agree with Hutpik, sounds like they got carried away and stuck too many gimmicks on. I think it was Turnerskis, but I definitly saw an Arocs unit pulling a short fridge trailer near Northampton about a week ago.

‘‘The Arocs features the industry’s first electro-hydraulic steering system’’

Uh oh, thats not a steer by wire is it, without a direct physical coupling to the steering box?

Juddian:

Uh oh, thats not a steer by wire is it, without a direct physical coupling to the steering box?

Just means it’s an electric pump for the power steering so your not wasting energy constantly turning a mechanical one when you don’t need it :wink: Compressors etc will all go this way too soon enough :smiley:

billybigrig:

Juddian:

Just means it’s an electric pump for the power steering so your not wasting energy constantly turning a mechanical one when you don’t need it :wink: Compressors etc will all go this way too soon enough :smiley:

Thank goodness for that, steer by wire has been forecast cars for many years, hopefully TPTB will never allow it near a lorry…

Juddian:

billybigrig:

Juddian:

Thank goodness for that, steer by wire has been forecast cars for many years, hopefully TPTB will never allow it near a lorry…

Its here already :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19979380

Looks like a blinged Hino :frowning: :frowning:

I don’t think that’s far off, TBH

They are both built to do the same job.

The difference is that the Merc is all electronic…which is OK providing all the components, wires and connections are robust enough for the job. I think trucks like that should have all electrics and electronics to aerospace standards as minimum: they get a rougher ride than they would in a plane!

GasGas:
I don’t think that’s far off, TBH

They are both built to do the same job.

The difference is that the Merc is all electronic…which is OK providing all the components, wires and connections are robust enough for the job. I think trucks like that should have all electrics and electronics to aerospace standards as minimum: they get a rougher ride than they would in a plane!

Yep, bang on there. Electronics and building sites/ landfill sites/ water don’t mix very well :wink: :wink:

billybigrig:

Juddian:

billybigrig:

Juddian:

Its here already :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19979380

Oh bloody wonderful, yet another answer to a question nobody asked, just like the electric parking brake and the goo/toy pump in place of a proper spare soddin tyre.

I’ll be sticking with me old simple robust designed vehicles ta very much, they can poke this garbage where the sun don’t shine.

WHY?

625HP. complete with polished alloy tank and wheels coming to a quarry near you very soon!

Hi all.The power isn’t the problem,i have a Volvo FH660 and we have a Scania 730 both running for 1 km underground to the surface at 60t gross[goes like a train].The problems are in all the ‘‘extra’’ unnecessary technology which just keeps going wrong,and costing money.Mike

I was just reading the full press release on headlineauto.co.uk. It looks quite impressive but I don’t see why they needed to design a whole new truck. As with other makers, a model variant of the existing range is more than sufficient.

How many companies are going to go for one of these anyways? Especially the tractor unit, when you can get the same axel configurations on the Actros and have a much better multi-use vehicle. Would an operator really want a truck they couldn’t use to sub out when the work got slow? Or found much harder to sell on when it was time to get shot?

I can’t see the tractor doing much in the UK. If you’ve got a large amount of material to move off-highway in the UK you’re going to use a Volvo BM or similar dumper running on red at a fraction of the operating cost, greater mobility, faster tipping times and so on.

With the rigids I could see it being worth getting a vehicle designed to do one task really well if you had a long contract to work on (HS2 for example). Contract hire the truck for the life of the contract, and when the job’s done hand it back to Merc to dispose of.

The current truck it reminds me of the most is the Renault: where you have the Kerrax for mobility and the Lander for payload. But Renault sold a grand total of 23 6x4 and 167 8x4 rigids in the UK last year, which isn’t much compared to Scania which did nearly 600 8x4s alone with one product range rather than 2.

Sometimes you can offer people so much choice that they decide to buy something else where the decision is less complicated.

GasGas:
The current truck it reminds me of the most is the Renault: where you have the Kerrax for mobility and the Lander for payload. But Renault sold a grand total of 23 6x4 and 167 8x4 rigids in the UK last year, which isn’t much compared to Scania which did nearly 600 8x4s alone with one product range rather than 2.

Sometimes you can offer people so much choice that they decide to buy something else where the decision is less complicated.

The thing is, if they are serious about devloping the Arocs brand, which it looks like they are, they have to start from somewhere.

They appear to have done some of the right things.

They have sorted out their current product range so it is as much an Aspirational product as a truck can be.

They have put a lot of thought into the new product, their dedicated range of construction trucks.

With the Arocs, they are in a similar position to Renault was with the Premium a while ago. They now have to wait for the brand to get noticed. For one bloke to take a punt on it and then spread the word. Scania have been doing everything so well for so long, that there people think of them as the default choice. Its hard, but Merc can overcome that, it just takes effort.

Still, I would not have launched a whole new product line for it.

Mercedes already have the Axor, which in my opinion is a more capable off road 8x4 than Scania. Forget the Tesco link, the Axor is as good as a MAN or Hino off road. For more on road payload conscious people, the Daf CF is probably a good combination of price and performance.
The best truck that combines both is the Foden Alpha; Cracking off road and lightweight. (Hold on to them if you don’t go into London)

The Axor will finish at the end of the year as it’s not Euro 6. Antos truckingtopics.co.uk/antosiaa.html replaces it in the distribution market and Arocs in construction

Agree with you about the Foden Alpha. The final version was excellent, and arguably better as a tipper than the DAF CF. Shame that Paccar and ■■■■■■■ weren’t able to sort Euro 4 on the big truck engines.