new member and newish driver

hi guys and girls, i am new to the board and although i passed my c+e 9 years ago when i was in the forces i have only driven on the road 5 times now the first being last month.i have however been a shunter for nearly 7 years now .

having been a shunter for this length of time i considererd myself to be good at reversing trailers onto loading bays,(we have a tugmaster at work).how wrong was i when i set out on my first agency job last month.coupling up ,filling out my tacho ,safety checks etc was all straight forward and i found my drop in berwick upon tweed with only making one wrong turn but what came next really surprised me.
as i arrive at the shop it looked not too bad for space for manouveirng so i proceeded to line myself up and carry out manouvre,it took me four attempts to get it lined up with the scissor lift.(i felt embarrassed),i didnt realise how diffirent road units handle in reverse compared to tug units :laughing:

welcome milkman having fun r we out on the big open roads :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome milkman :smiley: :wink:

Hi Ya Milkman and welcome to trucknet UK :wink: . Don’t worry about it. I transferred from driving a four wheel unit with a duo axle trailer to a six wheeler with a tri - axle. First time out I had about 4 shunts to get it anywhere near the bay. When I’d finished, the shunter gave me these wise words “Did you hit anything mate?”

“No.”

“Well don’t worry about it, everyone [zb]'s up occasionally.”

Still can’t reverse most of the time :grimacing:, but I really don’t bother about it now :wink: .

:slight_smile: Welcome to TruckNet,milkman.

Welcome to trucknet UK milkman :slight_smile: