New learner

Hi guys!

Currently in the process for applying for my provisional. Have my medical next week and then I’ll send off the forms for my provisional. Once that is done I’ll book my cpc, theory and hazard perception.

I’ve heard of Atkins and Hermes, are they any good for training? Thanks.

Hi, I’m not in your area but welcome!

Plenty of helpful advice on here, just ask and the masses will respond :sunglasses:

Dan

81llyh:
Hi guys!

Currently in the process for applying for my provisional. Have my medical next week and then I’ll send off the forms for my provisional. Once that is done I’ll book my cpc, theory and hazard perception.

I’ve heard of Atkins and Hermes, are they any good for training? I’m in Huddersfield. Thanks.

Good luck with it all you have found a good forum to take advice.

As I’m a trainer it’s not appropiate for me to comment on the companies you mentioned but I’m sure someone will be along to advise you.

Paul :smiley:

Thanks guys. I wouldn’t mind travelling if I got good service.
Bradford is close and those are the training providers that came up on google so thought I’d ask here if anyone’s used them.
I’m not sure on Hermes pricing but Atkins seems reasonable. Should I do cpc while I’m doing class 2?

please read all the stickies near the top of this forum before paying for anything including the medical

ROG:
please read all the stickies near the top of this forum before paying for anything including the medical

Also don’t pay for training until you’ve visited at least a couple of training schools.

Thanks guys! I’ve just looked at various topics and the amount of information available is brilliant! I’ve managed to answer most of my questions reading up on here, this forum is top notch.

UPDATE

Thought I’d update this. Did my medical, my gp wanted £80! Managed to find one cheaper at £55. Sent off the forms along with my driving licence for the provisional.

It’s been a week and I’m hoping my licence arrives next week so I can book my theories. I wrote my license number down before sending it off and today I had a look on the site to book theories and all the tests are listed. Didn’t book any yet as I want my license to come through first.

Both myself and Paul know Atkins fairly well, definitely visit them and a few others before booking training. Atkins are a low cost option, not sure about Hermes although they are a parcel company. Atkins don’t offer training on a truck with an automatic gearbox as all their category C trucks are over 15 years old scanias.

Depends what sort of training company you are looking for, what’s important to you and what you want to pay to decide where to train. Atkins will give you 16 hours on an old manual scania for about £900 I believe. We would give 22 hours on a 14 plate Volvo automatic for a bit more - don’t think I’m permitted to mention our prices. So, look at what companies are offering for your money, the differences between various companies is vast.

One rather interesting sales technique Atkins have is a very individual instructor approval scheme. On the side of their trucks in big letters it says A.D.S approved instructors, this stands for Atkins Driving Services approved instructors - completely made up and misleading! This should go some way to describing the way in which the company operates. Having had John Atkins threaten me on the phone before I best leave it there, but suffice to say be careful, there is much more to this industry than the price you are first presented with upon an inquiry.

Really good advice from Tockwith and Elmet.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is to visit them both. Book assessments and see how you feel. You may also want to do the same at the other trainer you mention (not known personally to me) for comparison. Have a good look around before you part with your hard earned. Not all training is the same.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done on getting the medical cheaper! Even the docs wanna rip u off lol :confused:

Can I recommend an app called deep river development if your revising theory and hpt?

Regards

Thanks guys, yes I’ll definitely be going on assessment drives before booking with anyone.

Dan Bear 87:
Well done on getting the medical cheaper! Even the docs wanna rip u off lol :confused:

Can I recommend an app called deep river development if your revising theory and hpt?

Regards

I’ve got that app mate thanks :slight_smile:

i was unsure on to do manual or automatic lessons how ever on a lot of research if you go down the manual root you spend a lot more time learning the gears, where as with automatic or semi automatic you spend all your time on driving. I was also told that most new lorrys are auto or semi auto so i opted for semi automatic. as people say visit a few trainers for a assessment drive and see which you prefer and remember there all very good sales guys aswell and will try there best to sale you there company so you part with your money straight away. DONT JUST RING AND BOOK, do the assessment drive first (gives you a rough idea if you like there lorrys / trainers)

You should fly through the tests then pal, the only thing it don’t cover is the case studies but a lot of that is simple enough.

as people say visit a few trainers for a assessment drive and see which you prefer and remember there all very good sales guys aswell and will try there best to sale you there company so you part with your money straight away. DONT JUST RING AND BOOK, do the assessment drive first (gives you a rough idea if you like there lorrys / trainers)

This is the best general advice. The exception is to book on rock solid recommendation. eg we have folks with us week after week from all corners of the UK and, for the best part, they don’t have assessments. They are relying on our reputation. And if, by chance, they might need a little more time than we have allocated, they’ll get it anyway. The success rate speaks for itself.

I guess I’ll only ever know after a few assessment drives for which to choose. Once I’ve passed my theory tests I’ll be going to a few of the companies. Just waiting for my licence so I can book them :slight_smile:

81llyh:
I guess I’ll only ever know after a few assessment drives for which to choose. Once I’ve passed my theory tests I’ll be going to a few of the companies. Just waiting for my licence so I can book them :slight_smile:

Good luck with the theory tests.

I suggest you start booking assessments as soon as you get your licence. That minimises delays further down the line possibly.

elmet training:

81llyh:

Good luck with the theory tests.

Thanks!!

Peter Smythe:
I suggest you start booking assessments as soon as you get your licence. That minimises delays further down the line possibly.

Should I not wait till I pass my theory tests?

Good news, I’ve just got home from work and find my driving licence is here! That was quick from DVLA! Going to book my theory tests now.