New learner advice

Hi All,

I am a newbie to the site and this is my first post so bear with me if I am asking odd questions or going over old ground for you guys.
I am currently in-between jobs after being made redundant and I have decided (after giving it lots of thought) to change career and train as a professional lorry driver. I have had my medical and am waiting for my licences to be sent back from the DVSA with my provisional entitlement so I can start getting on with it.
The first of potentially many questions I would like to ask is this; is there anything I could or should be doing while I am waiting for my licences to arrive?
I am registered with some local agencies but I obviously can’t get experience doing any driving work until I have them back.

Just as a heads-up, I sent my application forms away on April 7th expecting the licences back within a month. When I rang the DVSA to check on the progress they told me they are working to a 5 week turn-around from the date the medical dept received it. Based on their response I am now expecting the licences back on May 20th. (very frustrating!)

Any tips or shared experience from you guys would be very welcome.

Keith

Yes, you should be preparing for your theory tests. There’s various ways of doing this but the easiest is to team up with a good trainer who will “hold your hand” through the entire process.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Keith,

My experience so far has been straightforward, passed medical in February, sent forms back, did lots of revising - with an app called deep river development, I recommend it!
Then I passed theory, hazard perception and case studies all in one day in April. And now got cat c training starting 11th may with the test on the Thursday. So looking forward to that :sunglasses: ,

Hope u get your provisional back soon then you can crack on!

Cheers

Dan

Check out the link in my signature below - especially the pre training on road practice

Buy & read the theory test book, you can always pick them up second hand off that well-known auction site. Read read read - very useful! Call some companies direct, some of them are happy to take on green drivers, unless you particularly want to use agencies, but you don’t have to. This forum is brilliant for advice, tips, help, support, cynicism & ■■■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

Have I read this correctly you haven’t started your lessons yet but you have registered with agencies and think you can start driving as soon as you get your provisional back.

If you know your driving license number then you can check on the DVLA website wether the provisional entitlement is added. Mine was added a couple of days before I received it back but mine did only take 7 days to come back and that was only in Febuary. Driving theory 4 all is a good website and helped me pass the three theory tests. Good luck with everything :smiley: :smiley:

I can second the drivingtheory4all.co.uk website, costs £18 for 60 days access but it made the theory & hazard perception tests a breeze.

Regards to your licence coming back, I applied for mine in the 2nd week of April this year and had it back within 10 days - there’s every chance yours will be as quiclk.

If you enjoy gadgets and have a smartphone or tablet then look in the app store for LGV theory test apps. The one referred to in Dan Bear’s post by Deep River Developments is called “LGV Theory Test+HPT Kit” and is what I used also. There tend to be limited free-to-try versions available, so have a go at those first before picking your favourite.

It has most of the real questions from the real test, so you can spend time cycling through them again and again, as many times as you like, flagging the tricky ones and repeating them until you are familiar with all questions and all answers. Come test day you should find that you recognise nearly all the questions thrown at you, and you’ll know all the right answers.

I got 99%, missing only one question which was not in the app and I had no clue…something about coloured lights in a tunnel and escape routes or fire extinguishers or something.

Good luck with your training and tests!

Sitting my class 1 in 3 weeks anyone got any advice tips etc

Well done ORC! I got 95% in the test so it was a great help.

:slight_smile:

mac12:
Have I read this correctly you haven’t started your lessons yet but you have registered with agencies and think you can start driving as soon as you get your provisional back.

Hi mac12,
Just to clarify, I registered with a couple of employment agencies locally with a view to doing general driving work such as A-B delivery, multi-drop etc up to 3.5 tonnes, just so I could get some experience and earn a few quid when I can.

Peter Smythe:
Yes, you should be preparing for your theory tests. There’s various ways of doing this but the easiest is to team up with a good trainer who will “hold your hand” through the entire process.

Pete,
To get me started I have acquired the official DVSA Theory Test DVD-ROM, current Highway Code, the DVSA guide to Driving Goods Vehicles and a book called MIND DRIVING by Stephen Haley. There are 3 good local training companies I have visited and talked to, all of whom have been very helpful so far in providing information.
Am I correct in my understanding that I cannot book my theory tests until I have possession of my provisional licences?

There are 3 good local training companies I have visited and talked to, all of whom have been very helpful so far in providing information.
Am I correct in my understanding that I cannot book my theory tests until I have possession of my provisional licences?

You seem to be doing all the right stuff. You cant book the theory tests until you have your provisional. You trainer may do this for you if they offer that service.

You’ve found 3 trainers which is excellent. I strongly suggest you book assessment drives with all of them when you have your provisional. These are often free and will give you a “feel” for the trainer you are thinking of using. If you have recommendations as well this is always good.

When you’ve found a trainer, you can always ask for comments on here. They tend to be honest and frank!