NEW --Laws for Belgian

I have just read the German Trucking --Mag and it has these points as regards Driveing in Belgian,
A over-takeing BAN for Lorries on two lane roads will come into force
as of OCTOBER this year,Further more expect stricter control of the
BAN on overtakeing when it is raining,The other change in the
law concerns piority when at a unsigned crossing, this is now
TRAFFIC from the RIGHT has PIORITY unless road signs say otherwise,

That’ll be fun on the run between Luxembourg and Brussels, and vice versa, most of that is two lane. It’s my understanding that this ban will apply 24/7 but, given how deserted Belgian motorways are at night, I think most folk will ignore it when they come up behind a slower truck at 02:00. :smiley: :smiley:

Those wonderful nostalgic Priorite' a Droite. laws. Can`t wait for October.

pete how old is that article in that mag,the reason i ask is that on another forum im on i read that it had been thrown out as an unworkable policy and would actually cause conjestion as youd have a continuous line of trucks

That is pretty much the situation in Germany for kilometre after kilometre on some Autobahns so I don’t think they would throw it out for that reason.

KW posted this info on this forum just a couple of weeks ago after it was on the Belgian TV news, he lives in Belgium.

harry:
Those wonderful nostalgic Priorite' a Droite. laws. Can`t wait for October.

This is the scary one, at the moment the older Belgians already do that and just pull out anyway whether they have right of of way or not., especially in small towns and villages

Imagine driving down a main road and you have to slow down to let Hercule and Jean Paul pull out, you cannot overtake them because of the no overtaking zone.

This will be fun

Yep, gotta give those cars in Belgium with only 5 digits on their number plate a wide berth. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

just reread the post on tother forum and it did say posponed for a while and it were posted 30th june so it didnt take the belgian government long to change their mind :laughing: id imagine it will be ok if everyone is running at 56 but a pain if you have to sit behind a petrol tanker at 50 (is that the limit for tankers in belgium or is it just france)

Carl:
just reread the post on tother forum and it did say posponed for a while and it were posted 30th june so it didnt take the belgian government long to change their mind :laughing: id imagine it will be ok if everyone is running at 56 but a pain if you have to sit behind a petrol tanker at 50 (is that the limit for tankers in belgium or is it just france)

It;s not just tankers that drive at mega-ridiculous speeds, one of the worst offenders are those who drive locally and don’t want to get back in to the yard too early in case they are given another job to do.

Vascoingles:

Carl:

It;s not just tankers that drive at mega-ridiculous speeds, one of the worst offenders are those who drive locally and don’t want to get back in to the yard too early in case they are given another job to do.

Does that 10 km/h (6 mph) difference in speed do so big difference during the day that it can be called mega-ridiculous?

When driving locally difference is practically zero if you drive 56 instead of 50 when limits and roads allow it.

About a month ago I was driving little over 80 km/h with an artic and for about 40 km some rigid truck was constantly looking opportunity for overtaking. When motorway begun this truck instantly overtook me and I noticed it was familiar truck going most likely to the same place I were going. I lost sighting of this truck for about 20 minutes which it took me to drive to the drop where I and this other truck arrived practically at the same time. Look on the face of that driver was like of :open_mouth: when he noticed that artic he had overtook 20 minutes ago was same that drove to the yard just before him :laughing: I knew a shortcut, which I of course didn’t tell him as he didn’t ask :sunglasses:

I don’t know how widely it is possible to drive 9 hours constantly on the limiter elsewhere in Europe, but I know that even here in Finland such conditions are very rare. Of course you can try, but does that extra 40 or 60 km what you might gain really do that much of difference?

I also found it lot less stresfull to drive about 80-85 km/h than trying all the time to achieve 89 km/h, and boss is happy as fuel figures stay “low”.

As regards to th new laws,i really couldn’t say,except no-one bothers here,they do tend not to overtake in the prohibited periods,but as soon as 10am as arrived then pull in them mirrors,
Just one point Belgium is the country,not belgian, you may think this is not a big point, but its enough. As for no overtaking in Germany-you take your chance the same as germans,if you get caught you pay a fine,simple.I stick the "they do it first " philosophy.
Where as all the enjoyment gone from the job?
What happened to getting your hands dirty fixing a problem.
All you “old school” excuse me,but the problem with half you say called truckers,is that you aren’t willing/too afraid to try, its sooo easy to pick up the phone. You aren’t truckers you are pointers.

can someone please check about the traffic from the right have the right of way?
this would be traffic not yet on the island, surely traffic from the left have right of way?
this being traffic already on the island.
in the uk we give way to traffic from the right but we drive on the left side of the road which makes sense.
if we drove on the right hand side of the road then we would naturally give way to traffic from the left.

Johnny ,you have to give way to traffic comeing from the RIGHT when there are no traffic signs in place ,this is the same rule-law in Germany as well.
THE above RULE is ONLY in FORCE when NO SIGNS are in PLACE

On a roundabout Johnny it is normally signposted and the person on the roundabout has right of way,

priority from the right i think it is a great rule as it slows down all the triffic with out the need of pointless lights or other things to slow it down. However im only saying this becuase i learnt to drive in belgium and am use to the idea so always slow down when i see a road coming on to the one i am on

Hey kelly…your comments about us truckers not wanting to get our hands dirty is not fair…what you have to understand is…way back in the old days…most of us carried a very large tool box…and we also carried spare wheels…we were not afraid to get our hands dirty…in changing wheels…or even stripping engines down and even to the point of changing pistons to enable us to reach our destination or to get home…the reason we dont do it today is simple…look at most trucks and you wont see a spare wheel…and most british trucking companies have a maintenance contract with their truck dealer …so when it breaks down …one phone call is all it takes to fix the problem…nothing to do with laziness or lack of mechanical experience…merely common sense…and there are a lot of drivers from all nationalities who doesnt know one end of a truck to the other…so could possibly cause more damage in interfering with the mechanics or workings of a truck…and so most companies would rather you left it alone and leave the repairs to a competent mechanic…and so it should be, the companies dont pays us enough to get underneath the truck let alone being smothered in grease and diesel…

truckyboy:
Hey kelly…your comments about us truckers not wanting to get our hands dirty is not fair…what you have to understand is…way back in the old days…most of us carried a very large tool box…and we also carried spare wheels…

We Still do, if the trailer we have has got a spare wheel, and it needs changing,we change it , tho the company we pull for have to pay us about £50 depending on rate of exchange, so for a few mins work its in our interest.
sdj

truckyboy:
Hey kelly…your comments about us truckers not wanting to get our hands dirty is not fair…what you have to understand is…way back in the old days…most of us carried a very large tool box…and we also carried spare wheels…we were not afraid to get our hands dirty…in changing wheels…or even stripping engines down and even to the point of changing pistons to enable us to reach our destination or to get home…the reason we dont do it today is simple…look at most trucks and you wont see a spare wheel…and most british trucking companies have a maintenance contract with their truck dealer …so when it breaks down …one phone call is all it takes to fix the problem…nothing to do with laziness or lack of mechanical experience…merely common sense…and there are a lot of drivers from all nationalities who doesnt know one end of a truck to the other…so could possibly cause more damage in interfering with the mechanics or workings of a truck…and so most companies would rather you left it alone and leave the repairs to a competent mechanic…and so it should be, the companies dont pays us enough to get underneath the truck let alone being smothered in grease and diesel…

And I bet Kelly has a washing machine at home, microwave cooker, shower etc etc never visits the river to do the laundry like tough old people used to do in the good old days…I think they call it progress, maybe some Belgian company’s prefer to stick with the old ways… not me though I joined the 21st Century back in the year 2000 :unamused: :unamused: