New Law For France For 2012

As from this year, it becomes obligatory for all vehicles driving to france to carry a breathalyzer or alchol level test. Opinions vary on whether the law comes into force on 30th March, or 1st July
Single use breathalyzers will soon become available in french supermarkets, chemists and garages, at a cost of around 1€ each, so the cost is minimal. Alternatively they can be bought from several companys on amazon, so you have them before heading over to the continent.
Some info i pulled of the web

French Government confirms new law

Translated from the original,
published 1st March 2012

The French government announced officially on Thursday that all cars must carry a single-use breathalyzer kit from November 1st. The move, which has been widely reported for some time, was made official in a decree on February 28th and published on Thursday. The law will be enacted on the 1st July and effective on the 1st November.

“Every driver of a motorised land vehicle, excluding mopeds, must possess an NF Approved digital breathalyzer or unused (and immediately available) NF breathalyzer kit” said the decree, published in the official gazette.

Transport ministry officials said the rule would apply equally to vehicles from outside France. Only vehicles fitted with Breathalyser Interlocks are excluded.

A fine of 11 euros will be charged to any driver not carrying the breathalyzer kits, but police have been told to enforce the regulation only from November 1st. The new law is the latest attempt to reduce France’s road accident rate. Being fined on one occasion does NOT stop a second fine being imposed later in your journey if you have still not purchased an approved kit.

Around 4,000 people died on French roads in 2011, a very slight improvement on the figure for the year before. Drink driving is believed to be responsible for one in three road deaths.

The government hopes having a kit in the car will allow people to test themselves and to give them the means to test others if they suspect they are over the limit. (The legal blood alcohol limit in France is 0.5 grams per litre. versus 0.8 grams per litre in the UK)

Click Here to see an English Translation of the actual Decree

As mentioned here…viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79082

Ah, thats why it didnt come up when i searched, I searched France breathalyzer, not intoxication!!!

mjbaron:
Ah, thats why it didnt come up when i searched, I searched France breathalyzer, not intoxication!!!

Luckily a search for either will now bring this thread up, so we’re covered :grimacing: :grimacing:

Simon:

mjbaron:

Luckily a search for either will now bring this thread up, so we’re covered :grimacing: :grimacing:

It will do now that I have used the English spelling Breathalyser :laughing:

Breath Alcohol Analyser

Wheel Nut:
It will do now that I have used the English spelling Breathalyser :laughing:

Breath Alcohol Analyser

:blush:

Q. Is it right you have to carry a breathalyzer kit in the cab - one for each person I think. I assume you can now buy these easily in France?

Q. Does anyone know where you can buy these online? Best have them before we set-off as no doubt the Ferry Bobbies will be looking for a quick fine or two from unsuspecting foreigners!!

Answer to1
Need to be in the cab accessable, just like your hi viz. Better have more than one in case your first is used.

Although the fine is only 9e for non compliance!!

There was a shortage last week of them, couldn’t get them in the South of France and there is a large shipment from China on its way by the slow boat