New Job !

This morning I got a phone call from Millar international :smiley: .

I went for an interview with them on Monday morning, over at their yard in Stirling. The phone call was to ask me when I would like to start :sunglasses: :smiley: .

The job is, Sunday start down to either Newcastle or Hull to catch the ferry. The port used depends on where my first drop is. Three to five drops round Holland or Germany, Austria or Swiss. The drops are grouped in the same area. Reload, again two or three collections in the same area (more or less :slight_smile: ). Head for home, shipping in through Newcastle or Hull and home for Thursday or Friday. If there is a drop on-route from the port to the yard, and Iā€™m passing at a suitable time, Iā€™ll have to make the drop. If not, it goes back to the yard for the UK drivers to tip.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :laughing:

Nice one, Just the job! :smiley:

Nice one.What about Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£ and other perks?

Ken.

excellent simon ,congratulations .

is that wisharts from kirkcaldy gone bust then??

well done m8 :wink:

milkman:
excellent simon ,congratulations .

is that wisharts from kirkcaldy gone bust then??

They havenā€™t gone bust, because they closed the doors, on the distance side, before that happened mate. We got laid off at the weekend.

They have kept about 8 trailers, to service a couple of contracts they want to keep going. There is still one unit as well, that one had a later contract than the others (which all went back to Scania on Monday).
The Palletline side of the business is still going strong, expanding even, but Iā€™m not into local multi drops. Palletline have two hubs that I know of, one in Preston or Leyland (it was moved recently) and one in Birmingham. They have trunk motors running down to them 5 nights a week. They run double deckers down to them but there is often more than a full load at the hub. That entails a standard trailer going down to collect the ā€œheld overā€ pallets, often delivering ā€œheld oversā€ from our yard too. I expect that the last unit to go will be kept busy doing that and a bit of local shunting in between.

The money at Millars ainā€™t bad for this neck of the woods. Iā€™ll be getting about the same for a five day week there, as I was getting at Wisharts for five-n-a-half.

ah well good news that you find another distance job in such a short space of time .
atleast with you being away all week your only commuting to stirling and back the once which is good .

i have been offererd work with wisharts through the agency in the past but i wasnt very experienced so i decided to stick with doing shifts for wincanton in dunfermline . i am trying to get onto some diffirent and longer distance (maybe to england) work but not having much luck at the moment .

You should have gone for it mate. We donā€™t (well didnā€™t) bite, not that hard anyway :smiley:

Which agency (ies?) are you with? Do you get many offers of distance work with them?
The best paper for driving jobs is the The Courier, on a Friday. Most of the adā€™s are agencies, so you have to trawl through the whole section to find the proper jobs ( :smiley: ).

i think i was just wanting to build my confidence up at that time and decided to stick with what i knew at wincanton and gain more experience.

i have never been offered any distance work through the agency .i am registerd with drv hire and asa .

i have done some runs down to hull docks before but that is not through an agency .it was pulling mammoet trailers.

Nice one Simon, Iā€™ll keep an eye out for you as it sounds like we will be in the same sort of areas.

Simon:
They run double deckers down to them but there is often more than a full load at the hub. That entails a standard trailer going down to collect the ā€œheld overā€ pallets, often delivering ā€œheld oversā€ from our yard too. .

The pallet place I started at had three double deckers going full there and back every nightā€¦then i think most of half of one of them ended up getting double stacked on my rigid. Thatā€™s what it seemed like anyway :imp:

Good luck with the new job.

Simon,
Congratulations and Well Done.

Hope it turns out to be what youā€™re expecting.
Good Luck.

Kate ā– ā– 

Congratulations Simon and good luck with the new job :smiley:

Congratulations Simon, but when you get tired of it please point Millarā€™s in my directionā€¦ :slight_smile:

Do you know what your wagonā€™s going to be yet? Or is it wait and see?

well done simon im pleased for you. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done Simon hope we get a few trip reportā€™s like Coffees

Good news Simon, hope all it goes well. Youā€™ll be posting diaries of course. :smiley: :smiley:

Nice one simon, all the best in yer new job :smiley:

lets have some pictures. :wink:

Thanks for the good wishes folks.

Forgot to mention, the wagon is an XXL MAN, no idea what size of engine itā€™ll have under the cab though.

Iā€™ll do my poor best with some diary efforts. I plan to get a laptop very soon, which will be handy for typing up diaries. I also have a cheap digital camera, which only has internal memory. I have discovered the hard way that if you touch the battery cover, the circuit is broken, which wipes the memory. With a laptop I will just plug it in and download any photos before the memory gets wiped, which will make putting photos in easier :smiley: .
At the moment I use a single use camera. I have to wait for the film to be developed, download the pics onto my computer, upload the pics to MSN, write up the diary and hopefully, remember what the pics were of. :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: .