New job

After four and a bit years out of lorries i start a new job tomorrow, driveing ro-ro for a scrap metal company The last eight legger i drove was a cheese grater cabbed Scamell that tells how long ago it was :open_mouth: The guy who interviewed me was fine with all of that.
Still a tad nervous though :slight_smile: Wish me luck :exclamation:

Good luck with the new job. :smiley: you will be alright :wink: what make of truck will you be driving?

Mrknowitall:
Good luck with the new job. :smiley: you will be alright :wink: what make of truck will you be driving?

Cheers mate :smiley: i will let you know the make tomorrow. The job came quicker than i was expecting. Some one gave me the guys phone number Friday, gave him a call went to have a chat, and he called me Sat morning wanting me to start Tuesday :open_mouth: .

Good luck…

EMR?

waynedl:
Good luck…

EMR?

I’m guessing EMR is a company, if so no Simms metal. Thanks for the Good luck.

cypry0:

waynedl:
Good luck…

EMR?

Ahh, ok, you’ll find out who EMR are, you’re in their circles now :wink:

Again, good luck and enjoy it

waynedl:

cypry0:

waynedl:
Good luck…

EMR?

european metal recycling mid wages

white van:

waynedl:

cypry0:

waynedl:
Good luck…

EMR?

european metal recycling mid wages

Cheers found them on google :smiley:

Good luck with the new job cypry0, ro-ro’s a doddle once you get the hang of it.
I hadn’t done it til 3yrs ago, and i’m still doing it…

gunnerheskey:
Good luck with the new job cypry0, ro-ro’s a doddle once you get the hang of it.
I hadn’t done it til 3yrs ago, and i’m still doing it…

Why be nervous?

If you can’t master a hookloader after a day or two then you shouldn’t be driving any lorry.

Simms will look after you & working scrap metal is infinately better than most other hookloader jobs.

Tip No’ 1 : Make sure the yard marshall knows that you’re new to the job, & don’t under any circumstances pee him off.

Tip No’ 2 : I don’t know about Simms, but at EMR it’s a dissmissable offence to be overweight on the weighbridge ! Don’t be scared to refuse an overloaded skip.

Tip No’3 : Scrap is BIG money & there are lots of opportunities to make a little on the side. Be sure that sometime in the next few months you will be tested. Decline ANY offer to make a few quid for yourself & turn a blind eye to anyone you may notice driving the wrong path. Hear now’t, see now’t & say now’t. There are some very nasty people in the industry & I find that playing stupid & naive is a lot easier than potentially getting your legs broke.

Good luck, for the forseeable future the job is as safe as houses.

Not long back from the induction, my brain is frazzled, 9 hours in a class room :open_mouth: . Then a 15 min drive
which they were happy with, so just waiting for a call now.

All in all they seem ok, we will just have to see :slight_smile:

Oh yes they have Daf and Volvo trucks, all looked well maintained.

cypry0:
Not long back from the induction, my brain is frazzled, 9 hours in a class room :open_mouth: . Then a 15 min drive

Well done and good luck. Just a little tip,if you go to Sheerness steel mill,take it easy exiting junction 5 off the M2. Here’s one I got away with. :laughing:

DieselDemon:

cypry0:

Well done and good luck. Just a little tip,if you go to Sheerness steel mill,take it easy exiting junction 5 off the M2. Here’s one I got away with. :laughing:

Bet you needed some new kacks after that :laughing: At least you walked away from it :smiley:
I have done hanging meat in artics before so am used to loads you have to be careful with.

Just got the call and start 0630 tomorrow. :sunglasses:

Great news,I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.I miss that work a lot.Good luck.

Well done mate. :smiley: i drive a 6legger artic globetrotter full auto box on containers. I should be getting a brand new volvo in the next month or so. :smiley: i like me volvos. :smiley:

Well have just done my first day, actually enjoyed it :smiley: . was out with a driver showing me the ropes at sites and tipping at the yard. All in all the job seems a doodle, no rushing about, we are up near Yateley in Hants and the controllers are down in Newport Gwent :open_mouth: They give you your first job for the morning in the afternoon the previous day, then when you have done that one ring them up and get the next. All very relaxed :sunglasses:

Oh yes the motor is A Volvo FM 400 56 reg

Good news, I’ve been into that yard at Blackbush many times. Got stuck there for ages once when their frag caught fire. Enjoy.

DieselDemon:
Good news, I’ve been into that yard at Blackbush many times. Got stuck there for ages once when their frag caught fire. Enjoy.

Caught fire or exploded?

I’ve been near to Nottingham’s when that’s gone whoosh BOOM a few times :smiley:

Chas:

DieselDemon:

Caught fire or exploded?

I’ve been near to Nottingham’s when that’s gone whoosh BOOM a few times :smiley:

Yeah,it was a fire Chas, but I was tipping in EMR Scrubbs Lane once when a gas bottle went boom in the shredder. Not good for the heart. :laughing: :laughing: