New Job

Say you’re working for a company and fancy a change and apply for new job.

This involves a driving assessment with your driver card in the tacho…

What’s stopping your current employer seeing on the next card download that you’ve had a ‘mystery’ drive somewhere else and it looks like you’ve been for an assessment?

Know you can say that you were moving a mates truck but they’re not daft. Any ideas round this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes they will see it but it’s got ■■■■ all to do with them. Never know might make them look at themselves in the mirror and wonder why their drivers are going for assessments.

Also they could google the reg and find the motor on a truck photo website. Your mates royal mail daf cf? Lol

Tell them the truth if they spot the assessment drive…

You went for an assessment at another firm because it pays more. You never know your gaffer might start negotiations with you for better t&c’s

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

If you are looking for another job then it stands a good chance that other people in your firm are as well…including managers and tacho checkers.

But then so what if they think you are looking for a better job…who isn’t?

ask if you can drive with your card ‘out of mode’,i think the term is? anyway,as long as you are not exceeding your hours,shouldn’t be a problem :slight_smile:

sck04560:

What’s stopping your current employer seeing on the next card download that you’ve had a ‘mystery’ drive somewhere else and it looks like you’ve been for an assessment?

Know you can say that you were moving a mates truck but they’re not daft. Any ideas round this?

Your card your licence nothing to do with them as long as you remain legal

lolipop:

sck04560:

Incorrect.

The Transport Manager is legally responsible for ensuring all his drivers are getting the correct rest periods etc, including averages over reference period. So if he picks up on work thats not on the companies records he not only as the right, but the obligation to find out why.

I understand the concern though, especially as most people’s interviews happen at the doctors if you know what I mean. I suppose the excuse there is that they asked you to move the Brest Screening Unit while you were there, though I doubt it would fly.

nsmith1180:

lolipop:

sck04560:

Incorrect.

The Transport Manager is legally responsible for ensuring all his drivers are getting the correct rest periods etc, including averages over reference period. So if he picks up on work thats not on the companies records he not only as the right, but the obligation to find out why.

I understand the concern though, especially as most people’s interviews happen at the doctors if you know what I mean. I suppose the excuse there is that they asked you to move the Brest Screening Unit while you were there, though I doubt it would fly.

As I said,remain legal, does that give a clue

I suppose it’s a good way of alerting them to fact that you’re looking and they might do something about it. Then again…

Don’t know why drivers are worried about their firms finding out,you want to leave so sod em,
I know a lad who didn’t go to an assessment for a very good job as he was scared the boss would see his card,he hates the job and is still in it, :open_mouth:
It’s life that if your not happy you will move on…
When I went for my last job I said on the phone do I need an assessment,the bloke said no " I can tell what a driver is like just by looking at him and hearing him talk" he has adopted this method for years and never had a bad driver and very low turn over if staff,

carryfast-yeti:
ask if you can drive with your card ‘out of mode’,i think the term is?

If think you probably mean “out of scope”, even if it was legal it wouldn’t make any difference, when you put the tachograph on “out of scope” it still records everything to the driver card.

lolipop:

nsmith1180:

lolipop:

sck04560:

Incorrect.

As I said,remain legal, does that give a clue

Still the TMs responsibility and right to see the records of any driver using one of the vehicles for which he is responsible.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

As I have not driven a lorry in the UK since 2000 bring up to date please … Are you telling me that a truck can’t move unless there is a tacho card inserted ? How do workshop staff etc move them or test drive them ? The card you use did not exist when I left the country, we had regular tacho discs charts, whenever I went for a driving assessment no card was used.

Pat Hasler:
As I have not driven a lorry in the UK since 2000 bring up to date please … Are you telling me that a truck can’t move unless there is a tacho card inserted ? How do workshop staff etc move them or test drive them ? The card you use did not exist when I left the country, we had regular tacho discs charts, whenever I went for a driving assessment no card was used.

You can move it but it will show on the tacho. Workshop staff have their own cards I believe.

TiredAndEmotional:

Pat Hasler:

You can move it but it will show on the tacho. Workshop staff have their own cards I believe.

So basically the same then, back then any movement would cause the recording needles to be positioned differently when the next card was inserted but I don’t ever recall anyone being questioned about such an event ? When I got in a truck and the mileage was different from when I left it I would write on the card ‘Vehicle moved by others’ and left it.

Most crap employers wouldnt notice. They just see what the infringements are. If they looked after you wouldn’t be looking

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Situation is, Pat, that if you’re going for an assessment with a “blue chip” company they will, quite rightly, expect you to use your digicard, both to comply with the law and also I assume to assess that you actually know how to use it. Law of unintended consequences means it’ll show up next time you download at your current place of work. With the old analogue discs that you used, your current employer would be none the wiser.

It does open up a can of worms; especially if you’re applying for a job with a competitor. I don’t know of any other industry where this sort of thing occurs, and to my mind it’s almost a breach of your right to confidentiality; when you apply for a job it’s a given that the prospective employer will not contact your current one without your permission for obvious reasons, at least until you’ve given your notice in, so this compromises a driver’s right to search for a different job without fear of adverse consequences from his current employer.

Be interesting to see what a union man has to say about it.

Sidevalve:
Situation is, Pat, that if you’re going for an assessment with a “blue chip” company they will, quite rightly, expect you to use your digicard, both to comply with the law and also I assume to assess that you actually know how to use it. Law of unintended consequences means it’ll show up next time you download at your current place of work. With the old analogue discs that you used, your current employer would be none the wiser.

It does open up a can of worms; especially if you’re applying for a job with a competitor. I don’t know of any other industry where this sort of thing occurs, and to my mind it’s almost a breach of your right to confidentiality; when you apply for a job it’s a given that the prospective employer will not contact your current one without your permission for obvious reasons, at least until you’ve given your notice in, so this compromises a driver’s right to search for a different job without fear of adverse consequences from his current employer.

It’s time this situation was challenged.

Sidevalve:

Brilliant explanation and thank you. My truck here has an ‘ELOG’ it is set up by my company so that I can set it in the sleeper birth or off duty mode but drive 1.9 miles if needed for food, then the truck must be stationary for 6 minutes before moving another 1.9 miles back to my parking area. such movements are permitted by law providing we make a note in the remarks section. If I want to go further because proper food and services are more than 1.9 miles I select the off duty mode and log out completely so my log does not record anything, as soon as I start to move the screen lights up with the message ‘Movement detected, stop and log in’ I just ignore it and carry on, we are told that providing we are not hooked to a trailer and are just looking for services it is permitted but I doubt very much if I had an accident the cops would look at it in the same way :laughing:

Easy one to navigate. You can drive for 15 days if your card is lost, all you do is do daily VU printouts. Go for the assessment, youve lost your card or its elsewhere not accessable at the moment…employer none the wiser. Most will ask some basic tacho questions which any driver worth his salt could answer which should prove youre capable.