New Job

Well, After 8 years working for DB Schenker I got made redundant on the 31st on December, but didnt let that get me down. Applied for a job driving class2 at a local timber merchant, got an interview on the 5th and was offered the job later the same day. I’m due to start my first day at 8am tomorrow for induction and whatever else is needed.

Never worked with a timber merchant before, so any tips and advice will be welcome and much appreciated.

Also any tips on what i may need to take with me for my fist day, as i’m bound to forget something in the morning!

think i’ll be driving DAF or MAN flatbed/s, not sure if each driver has their own wagon or not yet.

Seeing as your on daywork now ( i assume ) you need a flask…sandwiches…gloves…spare tacho rolls…hi viz…steelies… As the load is timber make sure there are timbers on the truck…and that you have sufficient straps…good to go…good luck.

Yes it will be day work, as far as i’m aware. Actually looking forward to not having to get up at 2am anymore or being in bed stupid early. I might even regain a social life of some sort :smiley:

As daft as it sounds,carry a pair of tweezers with you.
If you’re carrying rough sawn,you WILL get splinters :wink: :wink:

You’ll find the rate of work is slower than you’re used to. I did a stint at Travis Perkins and it was a doddle. If you’re in a rural area finding some of the addresses can be a bit of a challenge and finding who wants the stuff on a building site is a bit of a pain in the arris but you get used to it.

Good luck to you :smiley:

Cheers guys, and great tip about the tweezers… tho with my soft hands i dont think the glove will ever come off haha :laughing: