New job

I just got offered a job at hovis Dagenham , suppose to start 7 March ( if the contract turns up in time ) just want to know if anybody else has worked there , what’s it like etc . This will b my first job working for someone for 13 years and my first job truck driving at the grand old age of 54 , got ta say I’m a bit nervy about regs tachograph and the like . Been trying to read up on it a bit but it’s all Chinese to me

Simple answer is to get yourself on a tacho course.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

No ime I’m afraid , still working this week , I’ll just have to wing it as best I can

You on arctics or ridges. Either way you’ll do induction for about 2 days then further training on how to use the microlise tablet system.

The Don of tachographs has posted some advice -

Is it decent dough?

Yeah I’ve seen that post , watched all the vids on YouTube and were def lots of help , I was told by the driving assessor that there would be an induction day then about ten days out with different drivers until I get my own round and after about three months I could probably go on a class 1 . The money is alright but I hav’nt got to many details on shifts till I see the contract , I’m led to believe that it’s 12pm starts ( really suits me) as I’ve always worked nights , it’s just nice to see somebody giving an old boy a go

Midnight starts :open_mouth: your doing what’s called radial work, shop drops.
I bet it’ll be ages till you get on arctics.
The artic work normally starts 16:00 and 04:00 as they trunk to other bakeries and X dock depots like Dagenham.
It’s a busy place, load your own truck in pre Planed route, timed delivery service etc have fun :laughing:

Your right , radial driver that’s what they call it , I’m working out of Dagenham and tbh I’m not that bothered about getting on arctics right away as I need experience . Gonna get my nut down and give it a go see what happens , can always go back to my old job if it don’t work out

Did a week for Allied Bakeries. Never again.

Suppose I’ve just got to keep an open mind and give it a go , as I said I’m grateful someone’s giving me a chance , but I’m not desperate and if it’s awful or I think there taking the p I’ll b out the door like a shot

jeffeddie:
Suppose I’ve just got to keep an open mind and give it a go , as I said I’m grateful someone’s giving me a chance , but I’m not desperate and if it’s awful or I think there taking the p I’ll b out the door like a shot

There are benefits mind.
Sick pay after qualifying period.
Pension.
CPC training.
Plenty of overtime.
What shift pattern you on as if it 4 on 4 off you could always ask for an overtime artic trunk shift , easy work

Very strange that, had the contract today mentioned everything except start time and shift patterns. . The missus works in hr and she said she’d never seen anything like it start a job without knowing what your doing

jeffeddie:
Very strange that, had the contract today mentioned everything except start time and shift patterns. . The missus works in hr and she said she’d never seen anything like it start a job without knowing what your doing

none of them do it just states the hours contracted ie 48hrs etc.

Start times very and if you get overtime on Artics you cant start between A. and B. yourn normal times because they do different starts ie C. and D.
Like I said earlier so you couldnt argue the toss about starting between A. and B.
it also allows flexabillity but if your on radial like you said your time will be between 00:00 and 03:00 and will unlikely ever to change

Decided not to take it after all , they weren’t straight with me when I applied as I was led to believe it was 5 on 3 off and it’s not . She also said it was 12 o’clock start , subsequently it’s not that either , wouldn’t have applied if I had been told from the start . Just wish the firms would b straight with u and not ■■■■ about " Disappointed "

jeffeddie:
I just got offered a job at hovis Dagenham , suppose to start 7 March ( if the contract turns up in time ) just want to know if anybody else has worked there , what’s it like etc . This will b my first job working for someone for 13 years and my first job truck driving at the grand old age of 54 , got ta say I’m a bit nervy about regs tachograph and the like . Been trying to read up on it a bit but it’s all Chinese to me

Do a print out of Regulations and keep them with you. Thats what i am doing