new job

Newbie question
Is it normal for your trial shift to be not paid…
Coming from hospitality I wouldn’t work a 15hr day and not get paid!

No it’s not normal to WORK a 15 hour shift for nothing. If this firm want to call it an assessment then they’re taking the ■■■■.
An assessment shouldn’t be more than by hour.

That’s not an assessment that’s a joke, next your going to tell us you was on your own and wasn’t paired up with another driver to show you the ropes and watch how you got on.

Thought so just thought I’d ask…

A firm giving a Newbie a 15 hour “assessment” is just extracting the urine, and basically getting something for nothing from someone they can abuse and manipulate! Sadly however it not uncommon and I don’t blame Sam for doing it, as he’s been let down a few times and just want’s a start in the game, which is easier said than done when you have ZERO experience!

Hope he’s back safe and having a kip! :smiley:

Hope you get offered the job mate…

…Personally, if you’re newly qualified and struggling to get a start, I think 15 hours of your life is a small sacrifice in exchange for a job. Certainly when you’ve got some experience under your belt I would suggest you can argue the point but as a complete newbie, unfortunately the potential employer hold all the cards.

Plus if you get the job, you can eak those 15 hours worth of pay back in dodgy nights out…creative time sheets and stolen diesel (thats a joke before anybody gets the TNUK Police involved)!!

Let us know if you get the job!!

Totally agree evil…wasn’t knocking him I’m gonna be in the same boat in a few weeks,

I’m back cheers mate really enjoyed it
No the guy was there with me and I have got the job so well happy and for sake of missing £150 I’ve got a full time job out of it they was the only one willing to give me a shot so ye was a long day but the way I’m looking at it yes I lost out on 150 yesterday but the money I’ll make now is a lot more than that cause the wage Is good better to loose that than be sat ere not making out hoping some one will give the time of day which they haven’t upto now

Glad you’re back safe mate, as I was concerned that they’d sent you out alone!

The fact that you had someone with you, does change the game a little…
The firm haven’t lost or incurred extra cost in you doing the shift for free, although it is a bit tight on their part! :laughing:
And while a 15 hour “assessment” is a long time for an assessment, I’m sure you got a lot out of it as well, including confidence! :smiley:

Happy it went well for you Sam, that you got the job, and I wish you all the best! :grimacing:

Ye got a lot out of it got in and out of spots that dint think would ever happen got to experience a full 44 tonne load and and a not very heavy load great learning experience start Monday morning

Nice one fella well done…

Cheers pal

Well done and yeah glad to see they put you with someone, as just thought they had taken the urine out of you and saved themselves money, so yet again nice one and well done

samledger1212:
And radar I can’t remember which is the next one was lol

Blue trailers…

Radar19:

samledger1212:

Blue trailers…

Nope, still not got it. Can you mime it Radar? :grimacing:

Radar19:

samledger1212:

Blue trailers…

Still can’t think

Trucker Ed:
Well done and yeah glad to see they put you with someone, as just thought they had taken the urine out of you and saved themselves money, so yet again nice one and well done

Cheers pal I’m well chuffed I’ve finally got a start I was begging to lose hope

samledger1212:

Radar19:

samledger1212:

Blue trailers…

Still can’t think

Next door to the Volvo garage.

Well after the volvo garage there is Easttrans handtrans green carrier r&r or pd port services

Had an assessment for an hour unpaid,then the job. First run was nights on a rear steer trailer then four in four off fridge work

The first two drives had a co driver. Went well. Good luck to you, after a week was flipped between regular fixed axles to the rear steer whenever they wanted. Experience builds up lol,