New job

Came off the European work in order to spend more time at home with the Mrs and Kids but I can’t stand the job :frowning: …Not sure wether to stick it out or just go back to what I was happy doing

Help :cry:

dogthehunter:
Came off the European work in order to spend more time at home with the Mrs and Kids but I can’t stand the job :frowning: …Not sure wether to stick it out or just go back to what I was happy doing

Remember it’s also what the missus and the kids want too. :wink:

Hello mate,

In my opinion, time with family is massively important but surely that time should be quality time when you’re happy and good to be around. If you’re miserable the whole time you’re at work that is bound to affect you’re mood in the evening and at weekends too.

Talk it through with the Mrs and I bet you find she would happier if you were happy at work…life’s too short to spend the majority of your working life unhappy. Just make the time you are at home count!!!

I currently don’t drive full time for a living but do weekend HGV work when my day job allows. My wife loves it when I’m driving wagons cos I’m happy and not dreading going out of the door in the morning. I’ve got a couple more years left in the military and I can escape with my pension but I feel completely trapped and it does affect my family life.

Hope you make the right choice for you and the family mate.

Good luck

I can’t really answer your question only you can do that, but I’ll throw some questions you can think about that might help you decide.

How long you been doing the new job?
It might just need some time to settle in?

If you’re unhappy are you bringing that back home with you?
Would it be better for them to have a happy husband, father that they don’t see everyday against a grumpy one who’s home every night?
Or do you need to get a grip, accept that you need to be around for your family as your absence makes them unhappy?

I think this is really something you need to discuss with you family, some families (not just truck drivers families at that) are able to cope with their husband or father being away a lot, for others it puts too much pressure on the family unit and leads to separation.

Your kids are only young once and not for long at that.Give your new jobyour best shot or see about another one with quality home time.

Time goes by very Quick. You will see

Agree with Muckles, give it some time.

About a dozen of us packed in the car transporters years ago and went on Kwik Save’s, each and every one of us found it took at least a couple of months of wondering if we’d done the right thing, then one day you’d suddenly realise the job was a cracker able to take your time home every night no worries.

Course like all good things it came to an end (when Somerfield took over and ruined the job in or case) and most of us ended up back on various transporter outfits.

Give it a while, adjust and chill out.

I’m in the same boat. Came off Euro stuff, because Mrs BV wanted me home. I hate the job I’m in now, and hate watching TV. We are beginning to argue too. I’m looking to go back off on the road again.

dogthehunter:

i no your pain believe me fella

All my working life I have spent long periods away from home, anything from a few weeks to maybe months, maybe that’s why I am now on wife number three !!! :slight_smile: but it’s been 21 years this time around so must be doing something right (or maybe she just loves the money :laughing: :wink: )

such a change is going to be hard. you already know Euro work makes you happy, but are you just assuming that means that can’t be happy in new job ?

what is it about the new job you don’t like ? can this be changed ? would a different job be better or would that have the same issues as your current job ? or do you simply love P&O’s drivers quarters so much that nothing else will do :open_mouth:

Pretend that you are back on Euro work:

Listen to foreign radio stations on the medium wave.
Talk in a foreign language to warehouse staff. (most are foreign anyway :unamused: )
Ask the missus to dress up in European Folklore dresses.
Ask her to cook European food.
Drive on the right side of the road.

or simply spend an hour in Lidl’s every night. will feel like being back across the pond…