New job

I have just got a new job on the Port of Felixstowe as a Shunter on the Tugs on nights. Abit different to what I was doing (class 2 driver on containers in the day)

Just wondering if anybody on here has done this job or knows much about it ?
I have the induction tomorrow and the medical Thursday :slight_smile: then I have 3-4 days training next week, the hours are 7pm to 7am

Good Money but very unionized… they were rigid about when they have breaks etc… Also the regular lorry drivers are your enemy now :laughing:

I used to get annoyed with the tugs always getting a box put on first so now I figure join the otherside lol. Isn’t it quieter on nights though ?

dogthehunter:
Good Money but very unionized…

Or more like Good Money BECAUSE very unionised rather than but. :bulb:

My eldest son used to be a tug driver there, but do summit now with loading the ferries with unaccompanied, he is on the old contract which pays him more than the lads on the new one which was introduced about 3 years ago. He was an owner driver with a blinged up Magnum doing Euro but got fed up with it and parked it up, must have been there about ten years or more now so must be OK.

keebs26uk:
I used to get annoyed with the tugs always getting a box put on first so now I figure join the otherside lol. Isn’t it quieter on nights though ?

When the berths are all occupied and there’s more waiting at anchor outside … NO :slight_smile:

Sounds not too bad then, now going to sit a 9 hour induction

I’ve no info on that specific job, but I’ve just spent last week as a Terberg pilot and I now have a new found respect for shunters. I lost 6 pounds in weight and gained the thighs of a rugby player! Every night of the week I got home and fell asleep in front of the telly, which is something I’ve never done before.

The problem at our place is that the computer system fitted to the tugs to allocate trailers, bays, routes erc at first appeared to be in fluent gibberish and took a good few days to get my head around. Overall I hated last Monday, Tuesday got better, until finally Friday and Saturday were actually fun.

I am looking forward to going back to my “proper” job tomorrow and will be delighted to hear “oh it’s gonna be at least three hours drive!” :smiley:

Just don’t leave the trailer looking like it’s about to take part in a mission to he moon or dig through to the underworld!! Cobelfret must have found new trucks where the 5th wheel is actually 6 foot in the air!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Claretmac:
Just don’t leave the trailer looking like it’s about to take part in a mission to he moon or dig through to the underworld!! Cobelfret must have found new trucks where the 5th wheel is actually 6 foot in the air!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I used to watch my trailer coming off the boat at Purfleet, the legs used to crash the ramp when it levelled off, when you got hooked on your trailer, which was invariably dropped too high anyway as my unit was on Euro low-ride :unamused: , the legs were bent like â– â– â– â–  bananas :smiling_imp:
I needed bloody oxygen by the time I got them wound down then up :unamused: