New job, some advice please

So after ages and ages looking for a job, I’ve been offered three this week! Have decided which one to accept (what a luxury!) but could do with a few pointers please…

As I haven’t driven a HGV for while (although passed Class 1 in 1991), they are going to start me for the first few weeks on some shunting, before putting me on a run. Now I’m reasonably up to date on tachograph rules and regulations (although they may have changed in the last few minutes), but I’ve always done longer runs, never shunting, so what’s the best way to do it?

The shunting covers 2 or 3 yards within half a mile of each other, so it’s not confined to the yard and does involve driving on the public highway. I’m thinking that I’ll put tacho on ‘other work’, and take a break after 6 hours (WTD). I doubt I’ll have clocked up 4.5hrs actual driving before then.

Is that the best way to do it? Or would I be as well getting into the habit of using my timer, a lot! Anyone do any shunting? Is it the law to have an attitude, and where can I get one from?

Anyone do any shunting? Is it the law to have an attitude, and where can I get one from?

deffo law for shunting to be narked at te slightest thing. if a driver as parked in a bay just as hes getting out the cab ask him to move a few bays down cause you wont that one :smiley: :smiley:

give drivers a gob full for going over the yard speed limit and then do it yourself :unamused:

best of luck with the job and let us know how you get on

jon

grumpybum:
I’m thinking that I’ll put tacho on ‘other work’, and take a break after 6 hours (WTD). Is that the best way to do it?

Anyone do any shunting? Is it the law to have an attitude, and where can I get one from?
[/quote]

I have a spare one. You must always drive round the yard, against the one-way system, as fast as your shunter will carry you and rev the engine that hard that the rods come through the side of the block. :slight_smile: Where ever anyone drops a trailer without asking you first then it’s always in the wrong place and then they must come back, re-couple it up and move it to somewhere else in the yard of your choosing, even though it was fine where it was in the first place. You must also reverse - blind side - into the tightest spaces you have as fast as your little shunter will carry you too, but always make sure you’ve got an audience first so that you can gloat and make all the onlookers think “WOW, I wish I was as good as him!!!”

Ive been shunting this week and i find it an easy job especially when your busy as the time flies a lot more than when your driving.

Most yards with a one way system make the shunters exempt due to the manouvres they have to make in to tight spots and having to be available constantly.

When you see drivers coming in and dropping their trailers wherever they want inform the gatehouse that all drivers should see you before dropiing trailers to save them having to go back and move it.

Try and be different to the usual shunters and look after the drivers after all your one yourself, I usually ask if drivers need a break and if they are on a break i bring their trailers to their unit whenever i can.

Not all shunters have a bad attitude but i will admit most do.

or you could always bust your shunter, borrow a trunkers motor for the day, leave the windows wide open so when it hammers the motors like a swimming pool then skate off home at 14.00 knowing the trunker doesnt come till 17.00, if you really want to be ■■■■ do it twice in a week :imp: :imp: :imp:

jammymutt:
I usually ask if drivers need a break and if they are on a break i bring their trailers to their unit whenever i can.

What, exactly, does that achieve then?

should say hammers down with rain , but as you can tell it still on my mind and ill get that dumphouse

I sense an unresolved issue ady1? I know, I know, some people think I’m gifted, but I just have a knack of spotting these things

Rob K:

jammymutt:
I usually ask if drivers need a break and if they are on a break i bring their trailers to their unit whenever i can.

What, exactly, does that achieve then?

Its about being nice to people Rob it saves the guy a job and once his break is over his trailers there and he goes, no need to search for it in our 880,000 square feet yard with 100+ trailers in it.

Cheers for that invaluable advice Rob and jonboy :laughing: . I was going to try to be helpful! I would have looked a right pratt! :blush: Although I think I should master blindside reversing my car into a space before I wreak havoc with them big uns!

Thanks Jammy, it’s always nice to treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself. Although the way I’d like to be treated, would be to have my truck valet parked, served a hot meal direct to my bunk and offered a selection of reading material while my truck is loaded, re-fueled and washed… hmmm might stick to plan A - send us that spare attitude Rob :laughing:

i used to be a shunter, best advice i can give is THINK ,your new ,other drivers are also new, an then you get the experianced driver who could run rings around you and make life difficult. From reading alot of posts here there seems to be many many QUALITY drivers who will help you . My best way was to treat all drivers with respect and ask them to conform to site regs,those that wouldn’t just leave alone and the will hang themselves. all other drivers will co operate with you. that shows who is pro and who is a cowboy…
never do a drivers shunt or park for him but be there to advise. MOST IMPORTANT … you are a qualified driver now DO NOT feel alesser person than others. YOU HAVE EARNED YOUR RIGHT.
Good luck and remember its better to ask than to make a fool of yourself.

ooooppps sorry went on abit but hihum

Never done yard shunting, well exempt the odd can you just move trailer, and then the the 4 can you just’s that follow.

But from what i’ve observed over the years, you need to stake a claim to a position very close to the coffee machine, also make sure your issued with a stupid pair of plastic ear defenders, sought of Smashy and Nicey style, then when a driver asks you where to drop a trailer, position your ear ■■■■’s on your ears, rev the living day lights out of the tug, even though you stationary, and then once the driver has dropped the trailer incorrectly (coz he couldnt hear you)make him move it, more than once where possible.
The Tug has a simple gear box, with 3 speeds, schumacher forwards, schumacher backwards, and stop.
You maybe issued with a 2 way radio, this is purely for the purpose of coordinating coffee breaks with your colleagues, under no circumstances must you talk to the office on it, if you are tricked into this, probably with the offer of coffee, make sure your revving the engine hard for a change.
If the Tug is fitted with hydraulic 5th wheel, make sure that you raise it as high as possible, to clean the underside of the rear under run bar on the concrete, if you forget to lift it, you may damage the landing legs whilst mobile, this can brighten a dul day, and get a lot of attention. When dropping a trailer from an hydraulic 5th wheel, remember to raise as high as possible, and wind legs fully to the ground.

Good luck with the job :wink:

eddie snax:
Never done yard shunting, well exempt the odd can you just move trailer, and then the the 4 can you just’s that follow.

But from what i’ve observed over the years, you need to stake a claim to a position very close to the coffee machine, also make sure your issued with a stupid pair of plastic ear defenders, sought of Smashy and Nicey style, then when a driver asks you where to drop a trailer, position your ear ■■■■’s on your ears, rev the living day lights out of the tug, even though you stationary, and then once the driver has dropped the trailer incorrectly (coz he couldnt hear you)make him move it, more than once where possible.
The Tug has a simple gear box, with 3 speeds, schumacher forwards, schumacher backwards, and stop.
You maybe issued with a 2 way radio, this is purely for the purpose of coordinating coffee breaks with your colleagues, under no circumstances must you talk to the office on it, if you are tricked into this, probably with the offer of coffee, make sure your revving the engine hard for a change.
If the Tug is fitted with hydraulic 5th wheel, make sure that you raise it as high as possible, to clean the underside of the rear under run bar on the concrete, if you forget to lift it, you may damage the landing legs whilst mobile, this can brighten a dul day, and get a lot of attention. When dropping a trailer from an hydraulic 5th wheel, remember to raise as high as possible, and wind legs fully to the ground.

Good luck with the job :wink:

yeh been ther done that edddie ,good post mate

FPMSL at all of the above comments. :laughing: :laughing: And how true some of them are.

Ken.

ady1:
or you could always bust your shunter, borrow a trunkers motor for the day, leave the windows wide open so when it hammers the motors like a swimming pool then skate off home at 14.00 knowing the trunker doesnt come till 17.00, if you really want to be [zb] do it twice in a week :imp: :imp: :imp:

Don’t forget that for the best result, remember to keep your gloves on that you’ve just covered in fifth wheel grease when you get back in the cab making sure to pull yourself up with the back of the seat and the steering wheel. You must ensure that you use the full steering wheel, gear knob, park brake, radio and door handles thus ensuring an equal spread of grease around the cab.

Oh, and don’t foget that during your break, you are to park your unit in the muddiest part of the yard, get out and walk through the mud and climb into the passenger side, still wearing your gloves, where you proceed to put your feet up on the dash before deciding to have a kip on the bunk, still with your boots on.

As a final “marking of your territory”, you must also either break at least one passenger mirror or put a gouge in the polished fuel tank.

Rob K:
You must also reverse - blind side - into the tightest spaces you have as fast as your little shunter will carry you too, but always make sure you’ve got an audience first so that you can gloat and make all the onlookers think “WOW, I wish I was as good as him!!!”

I used to like doing that. Also i took great delight in hitching up a wag and drag with demount boxes real fast, whilst some guy was struggling to get one box on!! I would just smile :smiley: . I was shunter in Mothercare for a good while, on the tug and doing de mounts . Aslo worked on the door in the stores !! (ok, that bits a joke!)

dont you just love those tight blind side reverses. :wink: