new job on tippers

In the quarry area drive dead slow always and have your revolving beacons switched on.Wear your hi-viz all the time steelies and hard hat if you get out of the cab.If you are involved in road making when backing on to the paver get out and chain up your rear mud flaps.

Not sure about terms, most talking with shovel drivers is done by hand signal, but you’ll soon get the jist of it. Only one I can really think of that you would need is: both hands cupped, palms facing upwards, moving each hand up and down opposite to each other, basically representing an old fashion set of scales, so the shovel driver knows you have on board scales (and thus he doesn’t have to use his).

Also, there is a lot of variety in quarry products, so make sure you’re getting the right stuff. Example being 10mm or 20mm clean, type 1 or type 2 sub-base, 6f4 or 6f5, etc.
Just pay attention and double check. Some quarries give you a bit of A4 paper with what you’re loading with written on, I keep one of these for each product in my cab so (when in other quarries) you can show the shovel driver and he will point you in the right direction.

I heard to put deisel on to bed to stop tar sticking but not to get caught :confused: Is this true

Park up so the pile of what you’re loading with is to the rear and right of you.

stealthcol:
I heard to put deisel on to bed to stop tar sticking but not to get caught :confused: Is this true

Do this if you want to get banned from site.

stealthcol:

Yes, when the tar mixes with diesel, once the road is finished it will be VERY slippy when wet and will probably have to be redone.

Just have to see what happens a week on Monday :smiling_imp: so parkus who you work for?

Yes, good luck and congrats on the new job anyway!

I’m on for Rushyford/Hall construction, based in Durham. Mostly local work for the construction side of the company.

Remember to open the rear doors before lifting the body!

The-Snowman:

The term no zb sherlock comes to mind :laughing:

parkus:

stealthcol:

Yes, when the tar mixes with diesel, once the road is finished it will be VERY slippy when wet and will probably have to be redone.

dunner worry about using a BIT of diesel before loading black, after all its the first thing the gang do to the paver is spray the pan to help stop tarmac sticking, it’s about the best thing to help stop the black sticking, the only thing is don’t get caught using it, apply it before entering the loading plant!
there are times on site when an official will check your body for diesel as you tip so don’t overdo it
some types of tarmac are resistant to oils and diesel and in some cases you can make it worse by using it, its no good me telling you at this point which types as you will get the hang of it by doing it, in most cases dirty water is about the best alternative (the dirtier the better)
the long and short of it is different plants have different ways of doing things

Looking forward to it just not looking forward to finishing of my old job as a coalman carrying 50kg bags lol roll on fri night

How fast paced is tipper jobs ?

stealthcol:
How fast paced is tipper jobs ?

Depends on how you’re payed lol :wink:

Its salaried at 18,000 a year :confused:y with an 80 a week bonus but damage truck n loose bonus lol

stealthcol:
Its salaried at 18,000 a year :confused:y with an 80 a week bonus but damage truck n loose bonus lol

Steady then!!!

stealthcol:

The-Snowman:

You’d be surprised how easily its done!

The-Snowman:

stealthcol:

The-Snowman:

Especially if the banksman does it :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The-Snowman:

stealthcol:

The-Snowman:

Yeah i suppose i forgot to put outriggers out for hiab once lol

Well thats an easy one ,dont damage the motor.I sometimes see tippers going like Paddy wagons but there is no need for you doing that.I remember the first time I took a fully loaded tipper down a steep hill,I still have the brown trousers.Keep it slow and safe until you have really got the hang of things.Its good for the fuel consumption to travel with the sheet over even when empty.