New job on monday! yes!

HI peeps was lookin for a while and found job as a driver in local concrete mixers company,they also got tippers in there,i was driving dustcars only before,automatic ones,any advices may be helpfull what to avoid etc cheers, CANT WAIT TILL MONDAY:)))

Good luck for Monday, cant give you any advice on mixers though.

Only advice I can give is din`t go bleedin fast around corners, mixers will tip without even thinking about it.

Advise to avoid mixers is a little late, so best of luck for the job :laughing:

I also start at a new firm on Monday, but not a job I’m new to, so not too nervous :grimacing:

jokerski28:
HI peeps was lookin for a while and found job as a driver in local concrete mixers company,they also got tippers in there,i was driving dustcars only before,automatic ones,any advices may be helpfull what to avoid etc cheers, CANT WAIT TILL MONDAY:)))

The only advise that I can give you is, never get into the mixer and make sure you dump your load before it “goes off”

where to start?? hope you get a decent wagon, i used to drive em and still do cover for hols ect,

as said dont go into corners too fast, try and keep it smooth round em, until you get used to it try and keep drum on maximum when on steepish hills and try and get in the best gear at bottom rather then change halfway up as its surprising how much power is drawn from engine for the drum, its easy to loose it out the back, concrete is, well to me it was anyway, surprisingly heavy, 1 cube approx 2 tonne, …

when on site only do what you feel comfortable with, footings ect groundworkers will get you as close to the trench as poss to make the job easier for them, but will soon deny all knowledge if you get stuck, if you are reversed right back up to the trench remember that when you discharge all the weight will come towards the back, think the recommended is at least the depth of the trench away from edge, but there are numerous types of tips, depends what area you live in really, we are in country so do 90% of work on farms,

one main thing is keep water back for you, you will have a water tank for adding water on site think most are 250 or 300 ltr tanks, some will want you to wet the load up as much as poss and will try and get you to use all water, you will need some to wash off the shutes and the back blades of the drum when you have finished tipping, I always keep at least 50 ltrs back for this otherwise its you that will be chipping the concrete out the drum and off the shutes… if you can keep the drum and shutes clean then its better for you…

i know alot of folk would,nt be seen dead driving a mixer, but i quite enjoy it, normally finished mid afternoon, its a learning experience, your arse will be gripping the seat at times but its surprising at what angles you can get the truck into… dont let the above put you off at all, just try and watch others do it,

seriously enjoy it for what it is

And make sure if you’re asked to add water to the load, make sure you note the amount on the delivery note and get customer to sign for it before it’s added and dropped. If not and concrete gets rejected, you will get the blame for putting the batch out of spec.If in doubt, drop a bit on the floor for the groundworkers to check it. Who are you driving for?

thanks for replying chaps i think this job gonna be better than dustcarts but only thing im worry about is are they working all year round(so do i ),in winter weather is cold so concrete not drying quick enough,dont know about this one maybe im wrong but defo less work than on summer…

as long as your not working for tha major concrete co, cemex, hansons ect then it prob be ok, you may be quiet but hopefully work will be there, our local cemex plant closed down due to weather conditions last winter which made te concrete company i cover for really busy,

main probs are the plant and your truck freezing up, can take a couple of hours to get running in a morning, always drain the water from your truck and leave taps open when your not using the truck, you will be shown this,